What's new

Nemu Rocks (see why)

ozzie12

Hi everyone - I'm new to the forum, and Im glad its still alive!

I've been checking out the VRML export feature (I am really in to 3d modeling/animation) and wondred what I could do with it. For a long time I wanted to model the clock tower from Zelda Majoras Mask but never did it, because without the right textures, even the greatest model would look like crap.

So, with the help of the VRML export and the Video Debugger (for the textures), I created this. Lots of painstaking work (almost every face had to be mapped independantly) but thanks to 3ds max's Unwrap UVW I did it.

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=8391503

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=8391502

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=8391505

I'd like to hear your comments.

Last edited:

Viper_Viper

thats sweet, im in the process of making an animation of link walking around killing things. Ive goten the model but how did u get the textures out of the game?

OP
ozzie12

ozzie12

I used Lemmy's Video Debugger, searched for the textures (a lot of clicking) and when I found one I wanted, I pressed the 'Print Screen' key (on the keyboard) and pasted it in MS Paint, where then I cropped it and saved the texture.

By the way Viper be sure to let us see it when you are done.

ozzie12

-Shadow-

Banned
Hmmmm... This Thread creates one question : Is there a possibility to make a (complex) ROM-Mod ? I mean replacing the models + Textures with others ?
I've Already seen (and got :D ) a small Rom-MOD , where the screen text language was translated into Polnish...

OP
ozzie12

ozzie12

H3ad5h0tter, you might want to search the forums for that; it has been discussed more. I don't think it led to anything, but it is interesting.

As for me, I will stick to modding PC games (wheel-less Vice City police cars, anyone?). Plastering my face on virtual downtown billboards is a good way to spend a rainy few hours.

I'm into paper models (go to http://www.3dpapermodel.com.tw for some examples) and am hopefully going to make one of my own using the geometry and textures from The World is Not Enough. I've got a cool program on my computer that takes the 3d model from 3ds max and "unfolds" it into a useable paper model pattern, with glue tabs and fold lines in the right spot.
I am using video game models specifically because they are so low-poly (who would've thought that would come in handy?), so keep a lookout for the finished product.

Meanwhile, go build some paper models...
ozzie12

Gorgy

Ozzie12, could you tell me how you apllied those textures so nicely? When I apply them to the Kokiri Forest (in 3DS MAX 6) they are screwed up. How do I use UVW Mapping for an "ex-VRML" model? And how can I change every group to Editable Mesh/Poly (I`m not able to do it in this model, that`s why I`m not able to Weld with 0.00001 threshold either) and apply textures without face-mapping? :w00t:

Actually, the only thing I could do, was flipping the normals, and apply textures without UVW :crazy:

Thanks for your help !!! :beer:

OP
ozzie12

ozzie12

Gorgy: I'm sorry I haven't responded in such a long time, I have been having real trouble with my computer and this is the first time I have sucessfully been able to type out a reply! By the way I also use 3ds max 6, so it's good we are on the same page.

First of all you need to create a standard material but check the '2-sided' box. I don't know what flipping the normals would do, because they are all seemingly random anyway.

As for applying materials: for almost everything except the stone walls of the tower, I didn't use UVW map, I used Unwrap UVW. It is much more powerful but takes a while to get the hang of.

It is important to note that one model is separated into many parts; when I exported a figure of child link from Z:OOT his ears are separate from his face etc. So in order to allow the welding of points, you must make it all one object (vertices on Link's ear can't be welded to vertices on his face while they are separate objects). To do this, select one of the objects (for example, Link's ear) and convert it to an editable mesh/poly. In the modifier panel, choose 'Attach' and select the other objects (Link's head for example) or if there are many objects choose 'Attach List'. Then you can select all the vertices and weld the duplicated ones.

Hope that helps, any more q's feel free, (it makes me feel smart) :)
ozzie12

by the way thanks everyone for your comments!

Last edited:

ModelingMan

Mario Converted

Hi I'm new to these forums.

I got mario from the Super Mario 64 game, I noticed that N64 handles alphas different than say GTA: Vice City. Anyway still a great that you can export a full scene from a ROM.

Knuckles

well, it's not Nemu exclusive, icepir8's TR64 OGL can do that to, and ca actually go farter in some games then nemu plugin, and also has an tile/texture dumper with the vrml one.

ModelingMan???? aren't you the one from GTAForums??

ModelingMan

<table border=1>Quote by Knuckles Poted Today At 3:17pm:
ModelingMan???? aren't you the one from GTAForums??</table>
Yes that's me, I am guessing you are Knux. What a coincidence, we are on two of the same forums :cool:

<table border=1>Quote by H3ad5h0tter Posted Today At 3:32pm:
Cooool , are you going to convert this model of mario into GTA Vice City format ? Nice idea ! ^_^</table>
That's what my idea was, but unfortunatley if I insert a model with a different physic than Tommy Vercetti then the model won't appear correctly ingame.

OP
ozzie12

ozzie12

If we are going to go that far with this thread, then Mario in Vice City isn't that far from reality.

A while ago when I used GTA3 (where most of my modding happened) I found a mod on the internet that basically turned your character into a midget. It was very buggy at first like you would think, but later releases it became much more stable. I would think that due to the similarity between GTA3 and Vice City, as well as the similarity between the Midget and Mario, this would actually be a very do-able project.

I will try to find the mod and hopefully get it working in vice City- if we want to continue this project.

thanks for the feedback guys (2 pages -w00t!)
ozzie12

Gorgy

Looks like a cool project!

BTW: Ozzie, could you briefly tell the process of UVW-unwrapping for VRML, cause if I apply those textures, they`re all messed up and I can`t seem to change it in these .wrl`s.... Sorry for disturbing you again :(

Federelli

Beta Tester
That mario Model looks way more like the Super Smash Brothers version rather than the Super Mario 64....