What's new

Need help extracting textures (can't use Lemmy's plugin)

Is this poll retarded?

• YES

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • NO!

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

OmegaDeus

I'm starting a game project (textures and meshes for reference would help)

I'm about to undertake a rather large and gruesome task, but alas I'm very low on budget so I can't even get the hardware to help me out, so I was wondering if anyone who may have them could submit to me any textures and meshes associated with the Legend of Zelda games for the nintendo 64. I would use lemmy's plugin to rip my own, but i happen to lack a card that has the pixel shading support his plugin needs. I have started ripping textures, but that is a long and arduous task that I'm really game for having help with because the less time I have to play to let the plugins rip textures, the more time I have to work and create.

Alternatively, I'd also like (if they exist) programs that I could just run when I'm at work and away from my computer that would run through the games and rip the meshes and textures without having to run the games in an emulator with a plugin that only supports one of the two functions.

If anyone could do this for me, I would greatly appreciate it, and I'll even give them mentions (and possibly tailored easter eggs) in my finished product.

Send all vrml meshes (or any other format you can think of, i'm going to be altering them in 3ds max to tailor my needs anyways, from there i'll make them whatever i find i like to work with better), and textures (preferably in .png, but will take anything i can get) to me at [email protected]

Well here's to hoping for a lot of support with this and one heck of a finished product... CHEERS! :party:

Last edited:

smcd

I don't think we'd be allowed to submit textures and/or meshes from the game as they're copyrighted. (This has been covered on emutalk before if I remember correctly) :(

OP
O

OmegaDeus

Well in the end the textures and meshes won't be used, they are just a starting point so that I can get a similar look and feel. I just looked at the copyright laws, and they state that no infringement happens if there's no profit, or if the material is just used for a base of parody. Though the work I'm intending to do will not be a parody, it will however be it's own entity, and will not in any way shape or form use the existing copyrighted material in the work. As far as the textures go, they will only play a minor role in getting a similar feel in the project I'm about to undertake. The reason I want them is to make my own texture pack. I've been having a lot of problems with getting textures from games on my pc. The problem lies in the fact that I never seem to get a full set no matter how much I play the game, and always end up with weird glitchy graphics or copied graphics (where one texture copies in the place of three due to some odd error). But again, the models will not be used in the project I'm working on, I just want to look at them for a basic idea of where to start because I want to make a similar look, but also at the same time will be making all of my own originals, plus who knows, I might even use them to make weird parody images which also according to copyright law are NOT infringements.

If anyone wants further information on what my project is, I'll accept pms, but in the pm you must state that you are agreeing that whatever information you recieve in my response will not be reproduced in any way. This means that you will not tell your friends, and will not spread gossip on the internet about it. Any information I share with someone 1 on 1 is intended to be between me and that person only.

Last edited:
OP
O

OmegaDeus

Well I've downloaded Nemu64 and using it's default lems plugin i can get a .wrl file, but it's got all kind of just random lines here and there, and makes the pc run utterly slower than hell. If i run any of the later two versions of lems, then i keep getting errors, so yeah, I'm probably not going to be able to get the meshes to look at.

Cyberman

I changed the title of this thread, simply because it is too childish and not likely to get people to read it. Perhaps saying EXACTLY what you need will be more fruitful next time? Only a suggestion. I recomend you consider doing that in the future as well, makes it easier to get the response you want from people. Namely useful suggestions to resolve your problem. This also has nothing to do with programing but I'm not going to close the thread or delete it for now. I will lock it, and move it somewhere else, if it does not change to a REAL programing question in 2 days.

I could see if you wanted information reguarding making meshes using say a particular software engine such as GLScene etc. However starting out by whining about your card really doesn't get to the point does it?

If all you wish to look at are textures I believe Rice's plugin should work for that. I'm not positive on how to use for that purpose it but look in the 1964 forum for information reguarding using it for that purpose.

You should be able find what you need in ANOTHER forum. I'm barely tolerating this right now.

Next time try a lot of things, and think things through before asking in the wrong forum, right now I'm not sure where to put it.

These should help

Hirez Texture (Rices) thread

1964 Hirez Texture projects

Also there are only a handful of programs for ripping textures etc. and are all GAME specific. This is because (if you think about it) the N64 textures are compressed and packed differently per game. It's not some deep seated plot, just the fact the game makers only had a few megs of space to work with. This is why the graphics plugins are pretty much the simplest and best method for ripping textures.

If I don't see a change in your questions this thread will be closed and removed from this forum. I also don't see the point of the Poll either.

Cyb

Last edited:
OP
O

OmegaDeus

Well, the actual point of this was two fold, one for the textures, the other for the meshes. As far as my project goes, I'm working on an MMORPG and I wanna make it play a lot like the LoZ games. I also want to give it a very similar look and feel. The poll was just for the fun of it. I never saw anywhere that a poll had to have an exact purpose, but whatever... next time I will be sure to have an exact point for my polls. I figured that this post should have been in programming because the point behind getting the textures and the meshes is so that I can get started on programming this game. As for a REAL programming question: I'm no newbie to programming but I am a newbie when it comes to programming games, does anyone have some useful suggestions and websites that I can look at that gives me an idea where to start? The main thing I need to be looking at is making this game fully cross platform compatible. I don't want windows specific docs, linux specific docs, or mac specific docs, I want stuff that could show me where to start without making it OS dependant.

Cyberman

OmegaDeus said:
Well, the actual point of this was two fold, one for the textures, the other for the meshes. As far as my project goes, I'm working on an MMORPG and I wanna make it play a lot like the LoZ games. I also want to give it a very similar look and feel. The poll was just for the fun of it. I never saw anywhere that a poll had to have an exact purpose, but whatever... next time I will be sure to have an exact point for my polls. I figured that this post should have been in programming because the point behind getting the textures and the meshes is so that I can get started on programming this game. As for a REAL programming question: I'm no newbie to programming but I am a newbie when it comes to programming games, does anyone have some useful suggestions and websites that I can look at that gives me an idea where to start? The main thing I need to be looking at is making this game fully cross platform compatible. I don't want windows specific docs, linux specific docs, or mac specific docs, I want stuff that could show me where to start without making it OS dependant.

for game oriented programing I've found Devmaster fairly good.
rec.games.programing is another decent spot (eons ago I maintained the FAQ there but it went to oblivion circa 1995 and I think 10 year old FAQs that are forgotten should stay that way ;) ).

I've been using GLScene the BCB addition although they seem to whine about people using C++ with it in the internet forums for it :D

GLScene I think is fairly simple but does have a few bugs in how to do things. I've been attempting to use it for viewing FF7 models and battle scene areas. In addition I've also been trying to view the background areas.

It's fairly OS independant and not a bad place to start. OGRE (another bit of software to look at) is a complete engine where as GLScene is not, although you could make one from it. So you might consider using it as well. Either accepts models from multiple sources.

MMORPG's are kind of new, you might want to look at WorldForge for some ideas there.

Enjoy!

Cyb

sb iq

I, too, am wondering if there is a program to rip and reinsert textures into a game.

I was about to look for textures via a hex editor, but if there are programs out there that can do that for me that would be of great help.

The game I was gonna rip textures from was Tomb Raider II on the PSX.

Oh btw, Cyberman, for some reason the links to those threads you posted keep linking back to http://www.emutalk.net/