What's new

N64 Glide Plugin. part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave2001

Finally, after a million hours of working on the temple of time problem, GokuSS4 tells me that Lemmy can help me with my problem. Lemmy said that there is a command that draws a 320x240x16 image on the screen, and I for some *really odd* reason had not checked that part for unimplemented commands. Just knowing this command was not enough though, I got a bunch of static. Icepir8 and I eventually figured out that the address it gave pointed to a structure, whose fourth element was a pointer to the actual texture :innocent: (all of this happened today)

Now what're the chances that anybody understood any of that except the people working with me? ;)

btw, the plugin keeps getting faster and faster, I added another speed booster today :happy:

Here's a screenshot:

Last edited:

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
oooo.. gimme.. gimme.. drool.. Nice.. Damn.. Nice.. Can't wait for the next release Dave.. Nice, very nice work.. :)

When I get the pluggin, I'm gonna post a bunch of zelda shots..

Kashulty_DucK

Dave, if I may ask, what have you noticed to speed up the plug-in? Is it just cleaning up code or something like mixing in some assembler? Just curiuos.

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Awesome!!!!!!

Keep up the late-night posts, guys (and the wonderfull progress).

Does this mean Zelda: OoT is working perfectly now?

Also, do you any good sites for an introduction to 3D programming? I really, really, REALLY, would like to learn some of this stuff, to try and make an SDL version (or even DirectX if SDL doesn't have enough capabilities).

Last edited:

gokuss4

Meh...
zelda is missing a few combiners and its my job to find those combiners ;). dave has this thing where you can login missing combiners. its pretty cool. i use all the time when im playin a game. as soon as i find a missing combiner, I STOP... than quit and give it to dave and he will implement it.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
The Khan Artist said:
Awesome!!!!!!

Keep up the late-night posts, guys (and the wonderfull progress).

Does this mean Zelda: OoT is working perfectly now?

Also, do you any good sites for an introduction to 3D programming? I really, really, REALLY, would like to learn some of this stuff, to try and make an SDL version (or even DirectX if SDL doesn't have enough capabilities).

The 3D part of the SDL library is opengl ! SDL just gives function to initialize the window with a 3d context. But it is not usable for a n64 gfx plugin as i have seen when i tried myself because the window created by the SDL block the keyboard messages and the controller plugun can't work with it.
You can still try to make an opengl plugin, but i am just warning you that the SDL is not a good idea.

gokuss4

Meh...
combine modes mesman00. combine modes are things where insert different graphics for a thing. i dont exactly know, but you can ask dave.

Eddy

I Run This
im taking a educated guess, combiners are pieces of code which combine colors to create a certain texture, when the combiner is not the present, dx gives the surface a red surface to show that the combiner isnt present.

Reznor007

Dave2001 said:
Finally, after a million hours of working on the temple of time problem, GokuSS4 tells me that Lemmy can help me with my problem. Lemmy said that there is a command that draws a 320x240x16 image on the screen, and I for some *really odd* reason had not checked that part for unimplemented commands. Just knowing this command was not enough though, I got a bunch of static. Icepir8 and I eventually figured out that the address it gave pointed to a structure, whose fourth element was a pointer to the actual texture :innocent: (all of this happened today)

Now what're the chances that anybody understood any of that except the people working with me? ;)

btw, the plugin keeps getting faster and faster, I added another speed booster today :happy:

Here's a screenshot:

Just wondering, but on the real hardware using that command, does it do it point filtered, or bilinear? Because those areas of the game were pretty blurred.

Ogy

3Dfx Fanatic.
mesman00 said:
what the hell are combiners, i'm sure i know, just not familiar w/ the term??

<Rjx> Ogy|BZ: what's a combiner?
<Azimer> Hello DK64
<Azimer> Why you slapping me :(
<Ogy|BZ> rjx: i don't think i know...
<Ogy|BZ> i bet azimer does though
<DK64> how are ya?
<Azimer> CC is a unit that combines Textures and/or various color elements to make final Color on a polygon
<Ogy|BZ> and AC?
<Azimer> Same, except it only messes with the Alpha component of the drawn pixel
<Ogy|BZ> ok, thamk you
<Ogy|BZ> thank*
<Azimer> ;)

btw, CC=Color Combine, AC=Alpha Combine.

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Hacktarux said:

The 3D part of the SDL library is opengl ! SDL just gives function to initialize the window with a 3d context. But it is not usable for a n64 gfx plugin as i have seen when i tried myself because the window created by the SDL block the keyboard messages and the controller plugun can't work with it.
You can still try to make an opengl plugin, but i am just warning you that the SDL is not a good idea.

Yah, I've been studying 3D in SDL, and I see that it uses the OpenGL commands. I thought it was just an OpenGL interface. So, I will now start learning OpenGL, and I will just compile against the Mesa binaries, so it works for 3Dfx users. :biggrin: If I ever get any good, that is...

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

The Khan Artist said:

Yah, I've been studying 3D in SDL, and I see that it uses the OpenGL commands. I thought it was just an OpenGL interface. So, I will now start learning OpenGL, and I will just compile against the Mesa binaries, so it works for 3Dfx users. :biggrin: If I ever get any good, that is...

Hmmm the Mesa GL status for the 3dfx chipset hasn't been updated since early 1998 last I checked. I think it's kind of dead, Mesa GL itself though has been continuously updated. SO you would have all the fun and pleasure of updating the 3dFX specific changes to meet the MesaGL of today. :)

Cyb

LoneRaven

Glide64 Website Guy
Does anyone know what the difference between Opera 5.1 and Opera 6 is. Apparently Opera 6 has trouble displaying embedded frames. I would like to confirm this with someone. If you can help, let me know. (maybe 2fast4u)

BTW: Great job Dave. The IE version of the Page is completely ready. The Netscape version is ready, too, but it kind of has a few quirks. Also, as you can see, I am checking on Opera.

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
OK, I just spent about an hour seriously browsing the Glide64 0.04 sources. It mainly served to reinforce my belief that this is going to be hard as hell, but I'm beginning to understand some of how it works! Except for the fact that I'm still lost in the 3D math.

Cyberman: It's that out of date? I had no idea... Well, then, I'll just have to get a card that's good with OpenGL... :( Maybe if I write something I can sell first...

Oh, well, I'll just keep working. Even if it is all blood, sweat, and tears, and even if I never get much of anything running, at least I'll learn something.

Status
Not open for further replies.