What's new

N64 Fps?

natesully

I understand some games are designed to run at 20FPS- but this seriously gives me a headache. Is there some way to run them at high speed?

F-zero runs beautiful on my system at 60FPS- but the zeldas, Goldeneye, etc. stutter about like mad.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Just as they would on the real system... true FPS helps set timing. If the game isn't designed to run at 60FPS based on other timing factors, it would never seem correct.

You could find out the corresponding VI/s of 60 true FPS, force that value as a refresh rate to your GPU, run in fullscreen at said resolution, as a test. ;)

Iconoclast

Don't give up hope, yet. Install 1964 and use the default plugins (even Rice's Daedalus) if you're looking for optimal speed.

If you're trying to play Super Mario 64 or something, install the Corn emulator. That thing is so fast, dude, I can't even see myself jump....

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Don't give up hope, yet. Install 1964 and use the default plugins (even Rice's Daedalus) if you're looking for optimal speed.

If you're trying to play Super Mario 64 or something, install the Corn emulator. That thing is so fast, dude, I can't even see myself jump....

You missed the entire point..:geek:

Iconoclast

He said that while F-Zero runs just fine, GoldenEye and other games stutter like mad, which means slow emulation. I was giving him suggestions to speed up emulation. You answered his first problem, and I answered his second.

Last edited:

Allnatural

He said that while F-Zero runs just fine, GoldenEye and other games stutter like mad, which means slow emulation. I was giving him suggestions to speed up emulation. You answered his first problem, and I answered his second.
You're still missing the point. They are perceived to "stutter like mad" because the games naturally run at ~20fps.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
man i have an eye for stutter and as long as the fields per second is at 60 (or 50 if its a pal game)

its smooth.... sure pal games do seem slower though...

Iconoclast

You're still missing the point. They are perceived to "stutter like mad" because the games naturally run at ~20fps.
Tell me, what's a version of the GoldenEye ROM that runs at 20 FPS? Because, afaik, it's just 60 and 50 for PAL.

And if you can't find a version that runs at 20 FPS, then you shouldn't have assumed that it's his ROM and not his system/plugins. I mean, even if there is a version, what in the HELL kind of ROM site would give a version of GoldenEye running at 20 FPS (in a PM, if necessary)? It's obviously his system, or the site he got his ROM from, is just plain stupid. And if he got it from (betternotsay).net, he would know better than to download a non-(U) [!] ROM if he's smart enough to install 7-Zip from that mazey website.

Clements

Tell me, what's a version of the GoldenEye ROM that runs at 20 FPS? Because, afaik, it's just 60 and 50 for PAL.

And if you can't find a version that runs at 20 FPS, then you shouldn't have assumed that it's his ROM and not his system/plugins. I mean, even if there is a version, what in the HELL kind of ROM site would give a version of GoldenEye running at 20 FPS (in a PM, if necessary)? It's obviously his system, or the site he got his ROM from, is just plain stupid. And if he got it from (betternotsay).net, he would know better than to download a non-(U) [!] ROM if he's smart enough to install 7-Zip from that mazey website.

What Allnatural meant was that Goldeneye 007 was developed with a variable framerate on the real system, and not a consistent 60/50 FPS (N64 is not even powerful enough to pull that feat off). The estimate of ~20 FPS Allnatural stated is a good estimate for the average framerate the N64 runs Goldeneye at.

You may be getting framerate and vertical interrupts (or fields per second) mixed up (not all N64 games ran at a consistent 60 FPS, mostly 2D games and simple games like Bomberman 64 ran at that framerate in-game, certainly not Goldeneye 007).

Goldeneye can run as slow or slower than 20 FPS in some scenes on the real system (and still show up as 50/60V/Is in emulators, since the slowdowns are for the most part emulated fairly accurately). Goldeneye can also reach 60 FPS is less demanding scenes (such as facing a wall).

Last edited:

Iconoclast

What Allnatural meant was that Goldeneye 007 was developed with a variable framerate on the real system, not a consistent 60/50 FPS (N64 is not even powerful enough to pull that feat off) or any other fixed framerate. You are getting framerate and vertical interrupts (or fields per second) mixed up.

Goldeneye can run as slow or slower than 20 FPS in some scenes on the real system (and still show up as 50/60V/Is in emulators, since the slowdowns are for the most part emulated fairly accurately).
Weird. Goes at 60 FPS for me all the time, and I got the (U) [!] ROM. No slowdown over here. I don't suppose you can name one of these areas?

I thought it was frames per second and not fields. Does this mean that, frames per second is frame rate, but this whole time, FPS meant fields per second?

The only time I get anything down to 20 FPS over here is when I got those x2 Grenade Launchers and blow the crap out of the wall in front of me with Invincibility cheat on. It doesn't just slow down the emulator; it even slows down the actual N64 console as well, causing it to skip a bunch of video images, showing about only one video update per second.

squall_leonhart

LOL

Iconoclast just to back up clements... download fraps and run it with the fps counter enabled in the corner.,.. you'll see what we are talking about :p

looky
007 doesn't have a frame limit, so it can reach the max theoretical fps that the hertz is capable of (the console isn't capable of running at this speed.....)

walking through the FPS dips by nearly half, while the Fields per second only drop to 51-55

The fps is capped at 20fps, yet it still feels smooth.

ooops i should've taken two goldeneye shots.. to show you what clements meant by variable

Last edited:

Iconoclast

LOL

Iconoclast just to back up clements... download fraps and run it with the fps counter enabled in the corner.,.. you'll see what we are talking about :p
Whatever. I understand that he's trying to tell me something about the emulator not telling you the true FPS or something like that. My point is, I don't see any slowdowns in the game, and it APPEARS to run at 60 FPS. I am asking him for a counterexample.

Besides, if it appears to run at 60 FPS, that means no major staggering, which is what this user who started the thread reported, which means his PC caused it.

Clements

Weird. Goes at 60 FPS for me all the time, and I got the (U) [!] ROM. No slowdown over here. I don't suppose you can name one of these areas?

I thought it was frames per second and not fields. Does this mean that, frames per second is frame rate, but this whole time, FPS meant fields per second?

The only time I get anything down to 20 FPS over here is when I got those x2 Grenade Launchers and blow the crap out of the wall in front of me with Invincibility cheat on. It doesn't just slow down the emulator; it even slows down the actual N64 console as well, causing it to skip a bunch of video images, showing about only one video update per second.

Try using Glide64's framerate counter for framerates. FRAPS also works.

PJ64 1.6 does not have an in-built framerate indicator (counter at the bottom is fields per second or Vertical interupts (V/Is) as 1964 calls it).

Ya, basically what squall says.

I don't see any slowdowns in the game, and it APPEARS to run at 60 FPS. I am asking him for a counterexample.

See image attatched, running at 15 frames per second, but at full speed (60 V/Is).

squall_leonhart

that scene has a high amount of framebuffer effects though... if we were to disable the mountains in the distance... it'd probably go quicker......

atleast thats what i remeber reading somewhere here :|

Clements

That scene is definitely not a framebuffer effect. Probable cause of slowdown is the high polygon count as you imply though.

Iconoclast

See image attatched, running at 15 frames per second, but at full speed (60 V/Is).
Interesting, your screenshot...so, the game LOOKS like it's running at 60 FPS, but it's really running at full speed like on the actual console, approx. 20 FPS?

That explains it. That's what I didn't get, was that it's supposed to look perfect emulation speed, but it's really actually emulated at the rightfully slow framerate.

So, question of confirmation: What's the difference between frames per second and fields per second? From what I'm interpreting so far, frames/sec. is VI/S and fields/sec. is framerate?

squall_leonhart

fields per second has something to do with the calculations made by the core i believe :| i very well could be wrong, and probably am.. but looking back on maths... fields had something to do with that....

Clements

Bare in mind that what looks like 60 FPS to you and what it looks like to other people is completely subjective. Some people are extremely aware of the low framerate, for example, in Ocarina of Time in-game, and some other people may not be able to perceive it at all. I personally, can just about perceive the difference between NTSC F-Zero X's smoothness (60 Frames Per Second in-game), and NTSC Ocarina of Time (just 20 Frames Per Second in-game, or three fold 'less smooth').

Some people may expect some games like Goldeneye to have a consistent framerate throughout, and so can perceive slowdowns (when the variable framerate in-game dips below their threshold of perception) and think this is a bug or a problem. However, these slowdowns are mostly normal to the real N64 and cannot be solved whichever emulator/plugin you use. If you are not getting 60V/Is (causing a slowdown), then that is definitely a emulator/plugin/low spec PC problem.

For full definitions of fields, fields per second and frames per second, they are in the PJ64 Manual Glossary under F.

squall_leonhart

i can feel the difference between Pal Zelda (50FiPS/17FrPS) and NTSC Zelda (60FiPS/20FrPS)

Pal Zelda feels sluggish with a controller, and MasterQuest for some reason you can feel it much more