What's new

N64 Emulation future Prospects

Corak

Nintendo gamer
pj64er said:

isnt that a feature in the hyped OGL 2.0?

Smiff speaks of a hardware limitation which can't be overcome by a new version of OpenGL or anything else which is just software.

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
of course, when they speak of the features of ogl 2.0 they expect hardware to be built to work with it.

or maybe i dunno what i am talking about

DeadRabbit

Emutalk Janitor
Hi guys,

No, logically you must be correct PJ, it would be ridiculous to create something that would never have at least a good chance of being used.

Along the same lines (kinda),

I wondered if they built voodoo cards first and then someone came up with Glide as an after-thought, (or vice-versa as in the open gl2 case) or wether the first people to manufacturer the first voodoo cards created glide specifically for them at the same time ?

does anybody know ?

On the subject of emulators specifically for games,

I'd not want to see that particularly, for two main reasons.

1) It would be bringing emulation down to the level of purely "the games" as opposed to the original challenge of emulating a piece of hardware that happens to have the very pleasant side-effect of gaming.

2) I personally would be very disappointed for a new emu author to release an emu for a specific game as it would be almost as if people had given up on the emu authors of present ever being able to fully emulate a console.
Imagine if a single game was emulated by a single emu and all games were perfectly emulated say, one year from now. And then in 3 years time PJ or 1964 etc managed to emulate all games in one emu. You would not be as impressed, because you'd be thinking "so what , I've been playing perfect dark, Banjo Toojie (or whatever) for years" and this would in my opinion be very wrong and take away the credit that present emus would be due.

I think I've worded this badly , but I hope you kinda see where I'm coming from ?

:)

I probably haven't worded this very well, but I hope that you catch my drift kinda. :)

Last edited:

Reznor007

Smiff said:
lle doesn't help, you are still using the graphics card as the rasterizer, you've still got to copy the frame from graphics card ram to system ram. Unless you code a software rasterizer, that would be staggeringly slow (like 10Ghz+ or something needed)

You can use a render-to-texture command so you don't have to copy the frame back to main RAM. Pete's PSX graphic plugins do that as an option.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Reznor007 said:

You can use a render-to-texture command so you don't have to copy the frame back to main RAM. Pete's PSX graphic plugins do that as an option.

dunno why Jabo didn't do that but sure there's a good reason. (like it's OGL only?)

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
DeadRabbit said:
Hi guys,

No, logically you must be correct PJ, it would be ridiculous to create something that would never have at least a good chance of being used.

Along the same lines (kinda),

I wondered if they built voodoo cards first and then someone came up with Glide as an after-thought, (or vice-versa as in the open gl2 case) or wether the first people to manufacturer the first voodoo cards created glide specifically for them at the same time ?

does anybody know ?

On the subject of emulators specifically for games,

I'd not want to see that particularly, for two main reasons.

1) It would be bringing emulation down to the level of purely "the games" as opposed to the original challenge of emulating a piece of hardware that happens to have the very pleasant side-effect of gaming.

2) I personally would be very disappointed for a new emu author to release an emu for a specific game as it would be almost as if people had given up on the emu authors of present ever being able to fully emulate a console.
Imagine if a single game was emulated by a single emu and all games were perfectly emulated say, one year from now. And then in 3 years time PJ or 1964 etc managed to emulate all games in one emu. You would not be as impressed, because you'd be thinking "so what , I've been playing perfect dark, Banjo Toojie (or whatever) for years" and this would in my opinion be very wrong and take away the credit that present emus would be due.

I think I've worded this badly , but I hope you kinda see where I'm coming from ?

:)

I probably haven't worded this very well, but I hope that you catch my drift kinda. :)

dont worry, compatability is the first thing that people cares about. Probably the first question newbies asks about an emu is "how many games can it play?". I understand the scenario you are trying to describe, but in the end, people will only remember (and keep) the emu that plays all their games.

Smiff said:
like it's OGL only?

dont say that, you'll get that OGL dude(CyDEtrakD?) all excited.

Reznor007

Smiff said:

dunno why Jabo didn't do that but sure there's a good reason. (like it's OGL only?)

No, D3D has it too. Check the "Kasparov" 3d graphic demo to try out a good example of it on your videocard.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
shadownova said:
one that work all roms and you dont have to have super requirements

yeah it's easy to say, i can say "a billion squillion pounds" and still nothing happens.

zorbid

Please forgive me if that post sounds lightknightish (I've got an idea, please do it for me :D), but I've got several questions/suggestions.

1. Isn't it possible to use a basic (no fog, no texture filtering) lo res (320*240, the original N64 resolution for most games) software renderer to fill the emulator's frame buffer? and use it in parallel with a standard d3d/Ogl plugin that would do the real rendering job?
Quake was pretty fast in software mode only on my p133 at that res...

2. Isn't it possible to detect when the n64 is going to read the frame buffer, and do the frame buffer stuff only at that moment?

3. Isn't it possible to read the video memory on laptops that share the ram?

***edit : I didn't see Reznor's post about the possibility to "render to texture". Q 1 & 3 are pointless.

Last edited:

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
zorbid said:

if thats true, doesnt the current implementation of CFB work fast on laptops?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
zorbid said:
Please forgive me if that post sounds lightknightish (I've got an idea, please do it for me :D), but I've got several questions/suggestions.

1. Isn't it possible to use a basic (no fog, no texture filtering) lo res (320*240, the original N64 resolution for most games) software renderer to fill the emulator's frame buffer? and use it in parallel with a standard d3d/Ogl plugin that would do the real rendering job?
Quake was pretty fast in software mode only on my p133 at that res...

2. Isn't it possible to detect when the n64 is going to read the frame buffer, and do the frame buffer stuff only at that moment?

***edit : I didn't see Reznor's post about the possibility to "render to texture". Q 1 & 3 are pointless.
2) My guess would be...yes. Jabo had a "automatic" option in the frame buffer in the 1.3 plugin i think. But it may still become pretty slow, so...

zorbid

Where does the "render to texture" command creates the texture? in the main or in the graphic memory. I f it's in graphic mem, my question 1 is not that pointless after all...

zorbid

Another thing: in Jabo's1.3, conker's shadow was obvously not meant to be drawn on the screen directly. That, plus the black flickering square at Conker's feet, made me wonder this:

Isn't it supposed to become some kind of dynamically created texture, not drawn in the frame buffer, but in another location of the n64 memory from where it's loaded as a texture, "pasted" under Conker?

Once again, these are only suppositons, I don't know the half of the quarter of the stuff needed to fully understand this.

CyDEtrakD

dont say that, you'll get that OGL dude(CyDEtrakD?) all excited.

LOL...

ayo,
i cant help it i'm highly impressed with the way opengl handles on geforce cards.. everyone has seen my thoughts on opengl and how it would be the best imo for n64 emulation so i wont spit any more of that jazz but i gotta say one thing.. opengl forever..

one,
cydetrakd

ps
alot like wu-tang.. opengl aint nothing to be fucked with...

Reznor007

zorbid said:
Where does the "render to texture" command creates the texture? in the main or in the graphic memory. I f it's in graphic mem, my question 1 is not that pointless after all...

In the graphics card video RAM. I think most video cards that have a unified memory system support this(TNT, Geforce, Voodoo3+).