What's new

Mupen64 0.4 feedback thread

olivieryuyu

the problem come from using schibo sound plugin, not the rsp as far as i understand (see above for feedback). if you need more tell me :)

linker

Emutalk Member
strange how different it run for the different users.. hack, me, shadowpri and more have tested the emulator and it was running ok for us :/
nin_10_dough it crashes when you are choosing a directory? may you have a virus or something? :)

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
A little tip, a basic audio plugin is best for mupen64 as i'm handling all interupt and synchronisation in the core itself for better accuracy (the basic audio plugin included with mupen64 or jabo's audio plugin are good). Maybe that's why schibo plugin crashes with mupen64...

olivieryuyu

Hacktarux said:
A little tip, a basic audio plugin is best for mupen64 as i'm handling all interupt and synchronisation in the core itself for better accuracy (the basic audio plugin included with mupen64 or jabo's audio plugin are good). Maybe that's why schibo plugin crashes with mupen64...

well the basic audio plugin is well known to have failed lock problem with some games. i recommended zilmar audio sound plugin it's far better.

Yes it's true it works well with basic audio plugin. schibo plugin have a problem with Mupen 0.4. :(

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
The sound problems must not be a RSP fault, I tried Mupen's 0.3 and PJ64's 1.5 RSPs with the same results :(
HLE plugins doesn't work and Azimer's LLE crases Mupen :\
If we exclude all the above, Mupen v0.4 has great speed and quite high compatibiliity :)

Last edited:

olivieryuyu

linker said:
strange how different it run for the different users.. hack, me, shadowpri and more have tested the emulator and it was running ok for us :/
nin_10_dough it crashes when you are choosing a directory? may you have a virus or something? :)

do you try the games i comment above with schibo/hacktarux rsp with Mupen 0.4 downloaded on the mupen site (because the final binary can be different than yours) (for windows of course).

You don't have the same bugs than me with the games that i said above ? Weird

olivieryuyu

PsyMan said:
The sound problems must not be a RSP fault, I tried Mupen's 0.3 and PJ64's 1.5 RSPs with the same results :(
HLE plugins doesn't work and Azimer's LLE crases Mupen :\
If we exclude all the above, Mupen v0.4 has great speed and quite high compatibiliity :)

for me Azimer 0.50.2 LLE works

Nin_10_Dough

linker said:

well, i can choose the directory, but when it is almost done generating the list it crashes. next time i opened it, since i couldn't get the list to work, i just tried to load a game, then it crashed. then i played around with the plugins and other settings and it also crashed, lol.

btw, i'm virus free :bouncy: , and my other emus run fine.

Last edited:

olivieryuyu

even with basic plugin i have some emu crash:

ex: tonic trouble

the instruction at "0x06e913c2" use the adresse "0x000000000" . the memory cannot be read.

with Jabo it's ok

if you want to avoid the fail lock problem with basic audio plugin use zilmar sound plugin it's far better ...

well if i understand, the problem is coming from the necessity for the sound plugin to be perfectly accurate.

Last edited:

olivieryuyu

well it seems there is an bug somewhere:

there is a serious problem of speed of sound: Madden NFL 2001: whatever the sound config i use it 's too fast !!! (i don't use the no delay audio option)

i made the test on 2 computers

Last edited:

linemu

It compiles and runs fine , seems stable, and it has better compatibility than .3, but... there's one strange thing. There is no speed increase on my computer! :(

olivieryuyu

Well ...

is it possible to do a timing tweak for audio .Something like a bar that you can move up and down to increase or decrease timings. I know that Mupen is designed to be more accurate than PJ64 or 1964 (and keep that because it's really better : the sound is better than never) and need the sound to be synchronized. With this the problem of no delay audio could be solved and help for some games like Tarzan or Hydro Thunder.

ex: Legend of Zelda Majora of Mask U (american version) requires to use no delay option otherwise it lock but it' not the case of the E version. If i understand well the game was made for the J version (PAL system: 50 FPS as E) but for NTSC (60 FPS) the sound engine is "overclocked" or something like that and it locks. May be just a option like : US timings and E/J timings option 'll be sufficient.

and what is funny is that with schibo sound plugin the no delay audio is not required with Legend of Zelda 2: it doesn't lock but there's no sound (hmm could explain what happens ?)

Of course it's just a suggestion .....

If the sound is handled by the emu correctly i notice that the sound is the most beautiful i ever heard on a n64 emulator.

Thanks

protomala

no speed improvement on linux

Looks like I'm not the one with this problem.
Mupen 0.3 and 0.4 work at the same speed on linux, they just look that same in everthing for me (exept by the version number).
Still the biggest problem is choppy sound.

I'm running Zelda64 on a Duron 1600 with 256 ram and a gforce4mx on Mandrake 10 and getting only 15~20 fps. :yucky:

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
protomala said:
Looks like I'm not the one with this problem.
Mupen 0.3 and 0.4 work at the same speed on linux, they just look that same in everthing for me (exept by the version number).
Still the biggest problem is choppy sound.

I'm running Zelda64 on a Duron 1600 with 256 ram and a gforce4mx on Mandrake 10 and getting only 15~20 fps. :yucky:

Are you sure you have choosen dynarec and not interpreter ?

Also, if you're talking about fps and not VI/S, you're already running the game at full speed : the US version of zelda is supposed to run at 20fps on the real n64 and the European version at 16.67fps. In this case, i can put all optimizations i want it won't change the speed it is supposed to run at.

Last thing, do u have tried all the sound plugins i've included in the package ?

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
To anyone who's reporting game bugs: can you try all the mupen64 cores : dynarec, interpreter and pure interpreter.

If it works for one core but not the others it'll help me to know where the problem occurs.

protomala

Hacktarux said:
Are you sure you have choosen dynarec and not interpreter ?

Also, if you're talking about fps and not VI/S, you're already running the game at full speed : the US version of zelda is supposed to run at 20fps on the real n64 and the European version at 16.67fps. In this case, i can put all optimizations i want it won't change the speed it is supposed to run at.

Last thing, do u have tried all the sound plugins i've included in the package ?

Yes, I'm using dynarec.
Well... if it was just the fps counter I would not complain, but running the game on project64 on windows and on mupen 0.4 on the same machine are very diferent histories in terms of speed. I got a lot of slowdowns in mupen (and the choppy sound).
I'vbe tested all plugins, the best plugin combination I found was Rice Daedulus and mupen64 audio plugin.
Running on icewm without any services running on my machine the demo is almost good.

But the real point is that... well I'm not getting much improvements over 0.3 :(

Nin_10_Dough

I can't even change the core type, as soon as i select another one and press 'ok', it crashes. If i try to set the rom directory, it crashes. If i try to just load a game , it crashes when i click 'ok', before it actually loads the game -_-.

btw, version 0.3 works for me.

olivieryuyu

Hacktarux said:
To anyone who's reporting game bugs: can you try all the mupen64 cores : dynarec, interpreter and pure interpreter.

If it works for one core but not the others it'll help me to know where the problem occurs.

yes in pure interpreter a lot of crashes disappeared except no sound with schibo plugin. How fast is the pure interpreter !!!!

Ex: Legend of Zelda (U) that was locking with dynarec due to sound is not locking anymore with pure interpreter.

olivieryuyu

with pure interpreter duke nukem zero hour doesn' crash anymore

a lot of game are booting with pure interpreter

Last edited: