What's new

Memory card Emulation

Federelli

Beta Tester
What are the chances of using the code from Dolwin, in Dolphin? Are both emulators written in the same language?

Thanks in advanced :)

FiRES

Emulator Developer
it is relative easy to port the memory-card emulation of dolwin to dolphin. But there are no plans to do this in then near future.

Cheers F|RES

ps: there are several reasons why we dont want to do it, but this isnt the right place to discuss it ;)

remmy

reenignE
They are indeed. It shouldn't be too awfully hard to port the memory card feature of Dolwin over.

OP
Federelli

Federelli

Beta Tester
I see, thanks for the fast reply F|res, and the only reason i can think of (you are not porting it over) is because you already have a superb implementation :).

Bests of luck, and success :).

Last edited:

JinXD

I think implementing memory cards is bit premature. I'd rather have compatability and stability before anything else....

Plus the gamecube is still Nintendos flag console, not implementing memory cards is a good way to stop people playing games on the PC instead of buying an actual cube.

FiRES

Emulator Developer
i dont know any game that doesnt work because we dont have memory-card support :)

Cheers F|RES

OP
Federelli

Federelli

Beta Tester
Me neither, but i imagine some game requires a memory card in orther to be playable.

*hint: savestate rocks anyway* ;)

Dysprosium

Graphics Designer
Federelli said:
Me neither, but i imagine some game requires a memory card in orther to be playable.

*hint: savestate rocks anyway* ;)

As has been discussed before, Save States for GCN games would be huge, absolutely huge. D:

I'd rather have memory card support then save states.. but meh, it's not required at this moment. Let them just progress the emulator, I'd rather see more games go ingame. :F

Last edited:

Coco

Who cares about the size? It wouldn't be that bad anyways. Even if you did it by just dumping everything in ram and saving it it's only going to be a couple hundred megs at most. With most peopels average computer HD being 80GB or more that's nothing.

Not that I'm saying implement it, it's just the size is hardly an issue. Plus you got to take into account computers will get better and come with even bigger HD's before gamecube emulation works well. So size is really not an issue to be worrying about with save states.

mateyo

This cant be really happening
save state compression?

hm i think it also might be possible to compress the save states by dolphin and load them in the compressed format... so savestates might not be thaat big... but... nevermind... just was bubbling out an thought i had in the last discussion and never wrote it...

OP
Federelli

Federelli

Beta Tester
Compressed savestates exists and are quite, though i don't know how much compression can be achieved.

F|res, apparently Zelda Package USA, hangs after it detects no memory card is present.

HyperHacker

Raving Lunatic
Pfft, I don't think anyone who downloads a 1.5GB ISO just to try it out on an emulator with no hope of running it at full speed is going to be concerned about a ~50MB save state. :p

Benoyd

would it be possible to make an perfect saving from emulator so you can use it on your gamecube later on when memorycards is supported? that would just be to damn awsome, and the other way arround... I might be dreaming to much, kick me if i do =(

Coco

Yeah it's possibel to transfers saves from an emulator to a memory card. Of course only memory card saves. Not saved states.

Of course doing this would require you have some way of connecting a memory card to your computer. The way an emulator makes saves memory cards is going to be the same way the real GC does it. You could mess with transfering memory cards over right now with dolwin. Although I really don't see it being worth the effort.

mateyo

This cant be really happening
would help to test out the issue with swapping game discs...
i think its unknown if it works in dolphin or other emulators... you could take f.e. an savestate from re:0 or something and try the point where u have to change to gamedisc 2...
not important now... but maybe in future progress...

Nifty

FiRES said:
it is relative easy to port the memory-card emulation of dolwin to dolphin. But there are no plans to do this in then near future.

Cheers F|RES

ps: there are several reasons why we dont want to do it, but this isnt the right place to discuss it ;)

Um, i'm kinda confused.
Does it mean that you're still working on the dolphin project? Because you say "in the near future"
I see an updated release on the site too...
That would be great news.
Sorry if it has been asked before.

Mojo Man!!!

texture thief
Coco said:
Yeah it's possibel to transfers saves from an emulator to a memory card.

How about the other way around! :p This could allow you to get to areas not accessable before, such as in WW. :happy: