What's new

Mandrake Linux Kernel Source

mesman00

What's that...?
i have a question, hopefully you linux gurus can help me out. To install the NVIDIA graphics drivers for linux, i need to have the source for the mandrake linux kernel installed (obviously this is the version im using). However, i can't seem to find it. i checked mandrakes webpage, but don't see it. does anyone know where i can find it?

BTM

Polish Emu Scene Member
you'l be needin the kernel headers, try looking in :

/usr/src/linux

headers along with kernel source should be there, if not - download a standard linux-kernel ( the same version you are using ) from a good linux site ( not distro site )

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
I don't think you need the kernel sources for this, but the mandrake cds do include them. It should have given you the option to copy them to the hard disk when you were installing.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
for installing the NVidia optimized drivers you don't need your kernel source, you need the nvidia_kernel patch.

Now, because your using Mandrake 9.* you can't use NVidias RPMs you have to compile from source.

So, download both the nvidia_glx and nvidia_kernel tar packages and extract the somewhere on your hard drive.

Open up a terminal window and go the the directory you extracted the files too.

Now go into the nvidia kernel directory and become the super user (root) by typeing "su" it will prompt for your root password. Now type "make && make install"

Alot of text will apear on your screen, just wait till everythings done.

Once you have control again go back one directory (cd ..) and the remove that directory (using the "rm" command).

Now go into the nvidia glx directory, do the same "make && make install" command and as before just wait.

Once you have control again go back one directory (cd ..) and the remove that directory (using the "rm" command).

Now go back to nvidia's web site and read up on what you have to do to get the nvidia optimizations to work with xfree.

If you get errors loading up xfree try typing "modprobe NVdriver".

Good luck :)

Last edited:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
or, you can download the source rpms (should have the name *.src.rpm), use rpm with the --rebuild option on them, then install the rpm created by that as normal :)

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
heres the deal...i installed the NVIDIA graphic drivers, when i restarted linux KDE wouldn't load, it just came to the command prompt, so i found the KDE executable, and tried to run it, it started to load, and then gave me a GLX error, however, i installed the GLX file right after i installed the kernel file. for some reason the GLX is not initializing. is there a way to fix this, or a way i can delete the drivers for now so i can get back into KDE?

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
You are talking about xfree86 (x-windows), to run it you just type startx. KDE is merely the shell, it starts automaticaly with x depending on your configuration. But anyways, you will want to rpm -e those packages that you installed if you want to remove them, however, the drivers are probably installed fine, just you need to adjust your XF86Config-4 file for the drivers (not sure why nvidia doesn't do this automaticaly). That file should be in /etc/X11/, if not, type "locate XF86Config-4". The steps to do this are outlined in the readme, heres the excerpt:

If you already have an XF86Config file working with a different driver
(such as the 'nv' or 'vesa' driver), then all you need to do is find
the relevant Device section and replace the line:

Driver "nv"
(or Driver "vesa")

with

Driver "nvidia"

In the Module section, make sure you have:

Load "glx"

You should also remove the following lines:

Load "dri"
Load "GLcore"

if they exist. There are also numerous options that can be added to
the XF86Config file to fine-tune the NVIDIA XFree86 driver. Please see
Appendix D for a complete list of these options.

Once you have configured your XF86Config file, you are ready to restart
X and begin using the accelerated OpenGL libraries. After you restart X,
you should be able to run any OpenGL application and it will automatically
use the new NVIDIA libraries. If you encounter any problems, please
see the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS section below.

If you aren't sure how to use a console based text editor (e.g. without a graphical x server running), say so. :)

Last edited:

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
If the driver in your config file is still "nv" you're using your old driver and it should still work. To use the new driver put nvidia as explained in their readme. One last question did u try to reboot ? You can also try to reinstall using their source rpms, they'll check conflict with mesa....

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
hey alpha...after installing the file in looked in the xfree84 config-4 file. but, i coudln't find the part where i had to change the driver to nvidia from nv or vesa. do you know under what part in the file this is located? also, i don't know how to use a text editor w/out a gui. thanks for the help so far

BTM

Polish Emu Scene Member
mesman00 said:
also, i don't know how to use a text editor w/out a gui. thanks for the help so far

i sugest you install ( or run ) Midnight Commander - its a file menager like Norton Commander for linux - try running it with MC or mc
It has a build in n00b frienly text editor :]

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
BTM said:
i sugest you install ( or run ) Midnight Commander - its a file menager like Norton Commander for linux - try running it with MC or mc
It has a build in n00b frienly text editor :]

alright, well once i actually get back into the shell and have access to the internet ill do that, thanks

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
By shell I hope you aren't refering to x. Just type "mc" at the bash prompt, navigate to the /etc/X11 directory, hilight XF86Config-4, then press f4. The section you want to make these changes under, as stated by the readme, is "module".

Also, if your internet connection is over a network card, its activated during your bootup before you log in, whether you start x or not. In fact, theres a plain-text only web browser you can use from a bash console called lynx, and you can log into irc via bitchx, or check your email with 'mail'. Beware though that none of these programs were designed with any "user friendliness" in mind.

Hacktarux said:
If the driver in your config file is still "nv" you're using your old driver and it should still work. To use the new driver put nvidia as explained in their readme. One last question did u try to reboot ? You can also try to reinstall using their source rpms, they'll check conflict with mesa....

IIRC it makes the "nv" driver quit functioning when you install the glx rpm, hence the problem he is having.

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
ok i have some problems

when i type 'mc' and hit enter i get an error, it says -bash: command not found, or something similar. i can navigate to the directory and highlihgt the file, but when i press f4 nothing happens. im guessing this is because of the error i get when i type 'mc'. also, how do i save the file once i have edited it? does it give me an option. thanks

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
You might not have midnight commander installed then, I don't use it myself anyways, I use pico.

type 'pico /etc/X11/XF86Config-4'

then make your changes to the file, then hit control-x, it will ask you to save the changes, hit y, then reboot. If you made the changes correctly, x should be able to start normaly again, and you will see an "nvidia" splash logo when it does.

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
ok, well it gives me the same error when i try to use pico, could it be that its not installed as well, is there a standard way of doing this that works for all linux distros?

/me is a poor linux nOob

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Well, any editor should be able to do it. Personaly I haven't seen any distributions of linux that don't include pico. Maybe you didn't install all of the correct packages?

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
like i said, im a nOob, do you know of any other editors, or how i can find out which ones i have. i know i have Kedit, but doesn't that require me to be in X to use?

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
try emacs (to quit type ctrl+x and then ctrl+c)
if u don't have it, hmm the last choice will be vi but it's a bit weird to use, if u don't have choice, here's some basics concepts about it:
you have to know there's two modes: insert mode and command mode, you can switch between two modes by hitting escape key. So try to type something if it doesn't write what you want hit escape. And then to save and quit type "escape :wq and finally enter"

You can also install pico or mc manually:
put the distro's cdrom and search the rpms directory in it. Then search package name of the software you want to instal and type:
"rpm -ivh name_of_the_package.rpm"

Last edited: