What's new

linux isnt so bad after all.

Flash

Technomage
CF2 said:
Yeah, gaming on Linux in next to nonexistant with very few titles being ported, forcing me to boot into Windows for my Counter-Strike: Source fix. Wine and Cedega (Windows emulators) are just too dodgy to be acceptable to me.
Wine and Cedega is great stuff - for example Kega Fusion (Genesis emulator) runs faster with
Cedega. I've played StarWars: KOTOR, UT (i'm just lazy to install native version, i have UT:GOTY installed on windows partition, why not to use it runs at ~190fps and native version at ~120), NWN (native linux version lacks movies), Baldur's Gate 2, HL1-2, CS1.6-CS:S and lots of other games. Latest version of Wine even runs Guilty Gear XX #Reload and GG Isuka (i have PS2 versions but still play it on PC sometimes)

Slougi

I think most people who have trouble with GNU/Linux distributions just expect it to be like Windows. Like ScottJC said

On the other hand, Windows is easy to make slow - you go mad installing and before you know it you have a bunch of crap in your system tray - but thats easily remedyed with msconfig.

So using msconfig is simple? Is it easily discoverable? Would someone who has never used Windows before know where to find it, how to use it, and when to use it?

Not to talk about spyware, viruses etc...

If you really find XP slow then either somethings wrong with your computer or you just need to do some cleaning and tweaking.

Right, that applies to Linux too. The rules are different, the methods are different, but essentially you need to make some adjustments to any OS before you can be really productive using it.

On Windows, you need to install:
  • All your software
  • Drivers individually for all your HW.
  • Windows Updates
  • Video codecs
  • etc.
Very little of that is automated. You have to reboot after many of these steps. Installing updates to the OS itself is tedious at best, as many updates must be installed one at a time. You have to intricately know exactly what HW you have, and exactly where to find updated drivers.

How is that simple and straight-forward?

Compared to that, I'll take a Linux distro any day. One click upgrades for the *whole* OS, including all the software. Easy software install, minimal amount of reboots. Drivers that come with the OS. A lot less hassle from my POV.

And if you had to compile lots of things, look for another distro. Personally I can recommend Kubuntu. You can order a free CD here.

Note that delivery will take a while, as the next Kubuntu release is scheduled for a June release. In the meantime, you can download the current version and try it out. I recommend trying the LiveCD first, so if you absolutely abhore it the only thing you lose is some time and a CD-R...

R

rico001

Fun with Linux

BoggyB said:
Linux and I haven't got on too well over the years *glares at old IBM Aptiva running Slackware 10.1*.

Play with Linux

Run DamnSmallLinux iso under Windows using a computer Emulator.

1. Download and install a pc emulator for Windows qemu using the default installation options: http://www.oszoo.org/ftp/qemu/win32/daily/QemuInstall-20051127.exe

2. Download the latest DSL iso image: http://dsl.thegeekery.com/current/dsl-3.0.1.iso

Rename it as DSL.iso and Put it in the directory with qemu.exe (C:\Program Files\Qemu)

3. Create a DSL.txt file in the qemu directory.
Add the Line "qemu.exe -L .\bios -cdrom dsl.iso" (without quotes).
Close the file and rename it as DSL.bat .

4. Double-Click the DSL batch file to run it. Close out other Windows programs for better performance.

5. To exit press 'Ctrl+Alt' then click the 'X' in the upper right hand corner when the windows is highlighted.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
I used Slackware 9, and SUSE 9 as well. They both are great. I don't use Linux anymore because my ISDN modems doesn't have good support on Linux, so I never managed to get connected to Internet (windows drivers of that modem are buggy as well but work).
I feel Linux more stable, and safe to use, however you have to put more effort in order to customize it. I'll probably use Linux again when I get an ADSL connection at home, probably soon...