What's new

linux isnt so bad after all.

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
@Scott: command line is the best part of linux. and DOS is boring, once you get used to unix commands, you'll never want to go back =D. i had to download a library of compiled unix utilities for Windows, because I kept typing LS out of habit instead of DIR

BoggyB

zAlbee said:
@Scott: command line is the best part of linux. and DOS is boring, once you get used to unix commands, you'll never want to go back =D. i had to download a library of compiled unix utilities for Windows, because I kept typing LS out of habit instead of DIR
Rather than download ls for windows, I set up a few doskey macros instead:
Code:
C:\>doskey /macros
lcd=CD $* $T DIR
exp=explorer .
now=ECHO %TIME% %DATE%
pot=PUSHD "%TEMP%\$*"
got=CD /D "%TEMP%\$*"
poh=PUSHD "%HOME%\$*"
goh=CD /D "%HOME%\$*"
mcd=MD "$*" $T CD /D "$*"
wordpad=write $*
quit=EXIT
bye=EXIT
ls=DIR $*

C:\>
This is loaded from a script that runs whenever a command prompt (cmd.exe) is started, and sets up a few other things as well. It has confused a friend of mine who typed "ls -lh" and then wondered why it didn't quite do what he was expecting.

I did download bzip2, tar and wget however. wget works very nicely for downloading stuff, and bzip2 and tar get abused with netcat for file transfers.

BTW, doskey is integrated into cmd.exe under NT, 2k, XP and 2k3 so there's no overhead to using it.

OP
rcgamer

rcgamer

the old guy
i wasnt trying to say that linux is better than windows.

i was just meaning that for someone who doesnt care a whole lot about playing pc games and who wants a good , reliable and best of all legally free OS its really nice.

BTW, i switched to fedora core 5 and so far it is even better than suse. no problems installing drivers now with yum and some configured repositories (wich took only about 2 minutes. ) . adding new programs and drivers is a snap with it. of the ones ive tried so far, fedora core 5 is now in the drivers seat wich is saying something as both suse and mandriva were pretty good to. might try some others later.

Blacklord

Banned
Linux is a good OS. It is safe and i like it. People which find Windows's click-on interface should not try it. Other thing people with connexant integrated modems should shoot themselves than install a Ubuntu.

smcd

conexant modems will work in linux... get linuxant drivers, though if you're still using dialup then you've got other problems to worry with :p http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/ seems it is no longer completely free, but there is a crippled version available freely still

Blacklord

Banned
They may work but i clearly remember having evil thoughts of destoying my laptop when it didn't work. (actully not mine). Them piece of shit drivers wouldn't compile and said that some shit was in use. I neded a exterior modem.

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
ScottJC said:
Students get free windows xp and i'm a student, yay! :p - besides that there are "other" means of free os... *evil laugh*: Yes I Mean get someone else to buy it for you and never pay them back? what? don't look at me as if i'm crazy...

I hate linux, i've had similar experiences to you but even when I gave it a couple hours of serious effort I found it to be tedious, annoying and above all: Useless for my needs. I mean whats the point of this OS? sure its free but free isn't always better. I'd love for just one person to name one thing Linux can do thay Windows cannot (windows does it with less effort and less tediousness so it wins.)

The system is better than Windows in everything except gaming. The system is stable and not as hardware demanding. You can use WINE to run windows applications in Linux. I saw a test between WINE and Windows, they ran diffrent applications to test the performance. WINE did better than Windows itself on more than 50% of the applications, Windows is so effective :rolleyes:.

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
arnalion said:
The system is better than Windows in everything except gaming. The system is stable and not as hardware demanding. You can use WINE to run windows applications in Linux. I saw a test between WINE and Windows, they ran diffrent applications to test the performance. WINE did better than Windows itself on more than 50% of the applications, Windows is so effective :rolleyes:.

CF2 said:
Yeah, gaming on Linux in next to nonexistant with very few titles being ported, forcing me to boot into Windows for my Counter-Strike: Source fix. Wine and Cedega (Windows emulators) are just too dodgy to be acceptable to me. Fortunately Epic and id take care of us, and emulation is doing pretty well with ZSNES, VBA, and mupen64.

Wine is actually not an emulator...

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
arnalion said:
Rubbish. My system hasn't crashed in years - XP is remarkably stable, it isn't hardware demanding either, i've seen PCs way worse than mine cope effectively with XP...

From my personal experience with Mandrake (Mandriva now) Linux took about twice as long to boot or shut down. I was able to break XWindows whatever its called twice by checking some boxes and was left with command line... yeah its a great OS if you can break it that easily. I've installed Linux about six times and had a play around with it...

Couldn't get a lot of hardware like the video card to work and had to do a lot of tedious compiling... needless to say that got old fast. I'd rather use an OS that doesn't rely on me having to constantly type commands personally and that is why the general population will not use it as well. Just because something is free doesn't mean it is better and everyone has different experiences with Linux - I hated it the moment I clapped my eyes on it quite frankly.

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
ScottJC said:
Rubbish. My system hasn't crashed in years - XP is remarkably stable, it isn't hardware demanding either, i've seen PCs way worse than mine cope effectively with XP...

From my personal experience with Mandrake (Mandriva now) Linux took about twice as long to boot or shut down. I was able to break XWindows whatever its called twice by checking some boxes and was left with command line... yeah its a great OS if you can break it that easily. I've installed Linux about six times and had a play around with it...

Couldn't get a lot of hardware like the video card to work and had to do a lot of tedious compiling... needless to say that got old fast. I'd rather use an OS that doesn't rely on me having to constantly type commands personally and that is why the general population will not use it as well. Just because something is free doesn't mean it is better and everyone has different experiences with Linux - I hated it the moment I clapped my eyes on it quite frankly.

:doh:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
On the other hand, Windows is easy to make slow - you go mad installing and before you know it you have a bunch of crap in your system tray - but thats easily remedyed with msconfig. If you really find XP slow then either somethings wrong with your computer or you just need to do some cleaning and tweaking.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
arnalion said:
Look, either provide a counter-argument or quit wasting everyones time with useless emoticons and sighing. Say nothing at all if thats all you're going to do. *sigh* interprets to me as you don't have anything to say to disprove me.

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
Well get the facts! Windows XP is unstable, hardware demanding, got slow networking and is after its time. I'm not a common user and i don't let shitty applications slow down my computer. The main thing that slows windows down is the registry which is the dumbest thing ever invented. Only because you apparently not have worked Linux out doesn't it mean that others haven't done it.

Rule nr.1 - Keeping a Windows OS safe: Avoid Microsoft applications.
Rule nr.2 - Be able to use a Windows OS: Get Registry Mechanic and Ad-Aware.

Clements

CCleaner is a nice free app for cleaning out the registry among other things. It surprising how many things get left behind in there even after you uninstall the programs.

It is fairly annoying when emulators use the registry instead of ini files, makes it a pain to transfer settings across my computers.

smcd

Clements said:
CCleaner is a nice free app for cleaning out the registry among other things. It surprising how many things get left behind in there even after you uninstall the programs.

It is fairly annoying when emulators use the registry instead of ini files, makes it a pain to transfer settings across my computers.

Exactly! Where MS/Windows went wrong was encouraging/requiring the (over) use of the registry. Management and developers were like "Hmm, wherever to store this very small handful of settings... I know, the registry!" - some programs, like MFC appwizard generated ones, will make a registry key "just because" even if you never use the registry directly in your program.:(

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
arnalion said:
Well get the facts! Windows XP is unstable, hardware demanding, got slow networking and is after its time. I'm not a common user and i don't let shitty applications slow down my computer. The main thing that slows windows down is the registry which is the dumbest thing ever invented. Only because you apparently not have worked Linux out doesn't it mean that others haven't done it.
Facts? you're seriously suggesting your PC which is ten times that of the recommended spec has trouble running XP? get real. My networking isn't slow either. The main thing that slows down XP is third party applications that run on startup... on the last point i'll admit but you're talking as big amount of shit about Windows as I am about Linux.

revl8er

That Damn Good
I tried Redhat a few years back. I didnt see too many problems with it, but I would rather use Windows right now due to the fact that I use my pc primarily for gaming.

Last edited:

BoggyB

Personally I rather like the idea of the registry. It's a lot easier than playing "find the config file" and at least the format is standard. With one program I installed recently, there were at least 6 different config files, of which one looked like an INI file (but wasn't) and the other I had to edit followed the format of the hosts file (but with differences). Not to mention the second one had support for comments, but then decided to put significant data in comments so they're not really comments.

The registry's also a lot faster to do random-access lookups, whereas with an INI file each call to GetPrivateProfileString results in the file being opened, a linear search for the section, a linear search for the key, and then the file being closed.

As far as transferring settings go, it's still possible with the registry. If you know what you want in advance then just export the relevant key and re-import afterwards. Or just save a copy of "C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\ntuser.dat" (assuming WinNT/2k/XP/2k3), and then use regedt32 to load that hive. That does assume the programmer did the right thing and used HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
ScottJC said:
Facts? you're seriously suggesting your PC which is ten times that of the recommended spec has trouble running XP? get real. My networking isn't slow either. The main thing that slows down XP is third party applications that run on startup... on the last point i'll admit but you're talking as big amount of shit about Windows as I am about Linux.

I don't say that my PC got troubles running XP, my point was that Linux is faster than Win XP. You can send data faster on a local DC hub (in win) than XP's built in network. Linux with Samba network can send data faster to a XP system than two XP systems can do to each other. My opinion is that Linux network is superior the XP's ones.