What's new

Lindows 2.0 Released

crhylove

Banned
well i c all your points malcolm. but we need a windows killer for gramma who doesn't know a computer from a toaster, but wants to send email. if that's lindows, then i say go go go.

i on the other hand would download debian and all my lil' open source apps and call it a day, but for the fact that winxp and pj64 totally own. and i don't know if it runs under wine.

rhy

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Malcom is refering to winlinux, as well as a few others whos names I have forgotten. Kinda half assed distros IMO, but they may improve over time. They are decent for beginners though, since you don't have to partition or format anything. If you are comfortable with partitioning/formatting, try mandrake instead.

Last edited:

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
i'll post some links in a min :)

{edit} (to remove the 2 other posts [i thought it looked stupid :p])
links here:
(some how the links got f00kered)
http://jungle.metalab.unc.edu/pub/L...FreeVersion.exe

or http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux...FreeVersion.exe

For WinLinux (www.winlinux.net)

and also SlackWare has some kind of windows thingy, ill search around some more (there are like 5)

http://www.slackware.com/zipslack/getzip.php

FOund it, zip slack, its around 100mb, and the other one's about 120mb
{/Edit}

Last edited:

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
lets say that im a complete idiot when i comes to linux (i am).. which of those should i be getting? My current OS is WinXp Pro.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
None of those work with any NT oses that I know of (especialy if you use NTFS partitions). If you have a huge hard drive with buttloads of space to spare, clear a good sized (10 gig is decent for a newbie) room on the disk and use mandrake.

OP
Stezo2k

Stezo2k

S-2K
well im stayin with xp pro at the mo, cost my parents quite a lot ;) seems to be the best os ive ever used :D

Stez

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
pj64er said:
lets say that im a complete idiot when i comes to linux (i am).. which of those should i be getting? My current OS is WinXp Pro.

u'd want to get WinLInux because it installs a disk image on you computer and boots from the image. It wont change any start-up options or anything. WinLinux runs just like a normal application, you double click it, it restarts the computer and boots linux :)

iq_132

Banned
It says on the website that you can't install it in NTFS... if you're using FAT32 with XP you can use it.

OP
Stezo2k

Stezo2k

S-2K
RPGlover12 said:
i like xp alot but its compatibility is a bit bad though ;) 98 compatibility 0wns ;) but still xp is one fo the best ;)

Seems ok for me, it can run everything i want to run with it :D but its a bit bad for the ppl that wana play older pc games on XP. mind u all of my older games work in compatability mode :)

Stez

Slougi

I just triple boot gentoo/xp/98 atm. Soon i'll throw out xp though, and swap it for win2k goodness. No eXtra Pain, ktnx.

OP
Stezo2k

Stezo2k

S-2K
fair enuff i still prefer xp tho, its a good combination of the win nt series and the win 9x series and has nice compatabilty with older apps aswell :)

mind u if u dont want any ms crapware included, i understand, u must have a nice big HD ;)

Stez

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Sometimes you have to sacrifice compatibility in order to move to a better OS. (e.g. from 98 to 2K, or XP to linux ;) )

Sukh

Long gone...
This click and run stuff... bit like MagicInstall if you ask me... uhmm. Although I wonder - does the Lindows version have safeguards to stop malcious hackers automatically running 'click-n-run' setup programs???

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
their click 'n run is done through a closed source program I think, and it only works with their specificaly set up servers.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
click n run, to my knowledge, is just the same as an RPM, except your download an install header (only like 20kb) and the header tells the installer what files to download and install. Nothing new to Linux