What's new

Lindows 2.0 Released

Stezo2k

S-2K
hiya ppl,

incase u didnt know, lindows has been updated to version 2.0 and looks very promising

New features include:

New interface
Printing support
Laptop Support
Better networking
Up to date browser & e-mailer
Click & run

Looks quite nice, incase u didnt know, lindows is an operating system thats compatible with windows and linux programs

heres some screenshots

http://info.lindows.com/screenshots/screenshot_gallery.htm

Stez

iq_132

Banned
All Lindows is, is an "OK" looking collection of tools and programs that are available freely to the public, that Michael Robertson has bundled together with linux, and is charging like $100 american for!!!

OP
Stezo2k

Stezo2k

S-2K
kinda worth the money tho i'd say. I cant wait til we find somthing else better than ms' shit that comes out full of bugs/anti piracy crap etc.

Stez

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
old news :p

The only thing that looks interesting about lindows is the "click 'n run", but IMO its better just to use a regular distro.

Anchel

The Xpaniard
What the hell is Lindows?
From the answers I can only understand that it's kind of operating system like Windows

Slougi

Who cares? I don't use linux to run windows software, and sure as hell i don't want a windows linux. *shiver*

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Anchel said:
So that's lindows......
I might get it
Damn you Windows!
Damn you Bill Gates!
Certainly I agree!
Let's hope these guys can destroy stupid m$ future plans of stupid windows.

$100 for an OS is cheaper than m$ stupid xp os at least.

Slougi

Yes, but the idea about linux is that it's FREE to use. Go get a regular distro like mandrake and install Wine/WineX on it. You'll be happier.

Anchel

The Xpaniard
I've always been hoping that an european company makes a new OS. Then we wouldn't depend of Microsoft (Damn you!)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Yeah, I agree. The more stuff that comes along, the less we'll have to rely on stupid micro$oft. Bill Gates think he rules the freakin' world. He's making it a hell for everyone.

Go Lindows!

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
OK here I go..

Lindows is a piece of crap, no matter what way it’s looked at. Lindows has its KDE setup to mimic Windows defaults, it has the generic open source office type software (open office), is has Mozilla and Netscape as its main browser, and now (unlike the initial release) is doesn't have WineX in it. Before I was supporting it because it included the full version of WineX, but now because the WineX team has left Lindows team can no longer have a WineX license.

So for a small count, I can install Linux Mandrake (free to download, 19.99 @ a book store), download the programs I want, and live with KDEs default theme, or download a 400kb Microsoft Windows look-a-like. Humm... where in there do I ever spend more then 19.99? The $80.01 your spending extra is for saving you the download time, I don't know about you but I pay 39.99 CND ($22 USD) a month for DSL internet and I can download all that software in about 25 mins.

Oh, did I mention that the Lindows device auto-detection only has about 200 devices, where as Mandrake has 4000+, and Red Hat has about 3500+? So, from a free download I'm getting better software, better hardware detection and a larger user base of people to help me solve my problems, oh yea and I’m saving $100 USD, or $80.01 is I got the CDs from a store.

I don't really see a point. Lindows main promise was to run windows apps, but with out WineX backing that it can only run wine compliant apps. Oh and Wine is free, just like open office.

If you did in fact want WineX, to play D3D based games, then you could get the free CVS site, or you could pay for a pre compiled version.

Anyways my main point is that Lindows isn't about running Windows apps/games anymore, it’s about making money of free software.

What do you choose?

BTW Its nice to see so many people wanting to support Linux, but as a suggestion before you try a full install (Like with Mandrake or Red Hat) get a Linux for Windows so you can fool around with it. After you've had some experience then try a normal distro. Many new users get irritated with Linux because it isn't the easiest OS to install and use. Take your time; realize that not everything is going to work in 5 mins. There is always a message board somewhere that can help you so just look around.

:)

OP
Stezo2k

Stezo2k

S-2K
yea same here, but its a good alternative tho if u dont like using windows, wonder what os ppl will go for when all this anti piracy MS os' come out

Stez

Slougi

Either everyone will suddenly own a mac, have linux installed, show interest in OS/2 again (wishful thinking on my part), or noone will care, which will most likely happen.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
I think there will be quite a consumer backlash. The audiophiles already hate the idea, and I bet major sites like google, who runs entirely on linux, won't be accessable in the beginning.

If you want a good fast way to try linux without installing anything, I recommend getting a live CD, just boot to the CD and you have a slow loading, but workable linux desktop to try.

BTW, the NY times chief editor has officialy endorsed linux. :)