What's new

Kirbys Air Ride

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Anyone played it?

I picked it up for £20 on eBay. Mainly because it's LAN compatible, and therefore online compatible.

Just wondering if anyone has sampled it, before my copy arrives.

OP
Jaz

Jaz

Ex-Mod
It arrived today. Need to pick me up a Freeloader, then I'll let you know what its like.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
People say that the controls start out really stupid (you'll feel like your IQ gets cut in half from playing with just the one button), then you get used to it and find that it's really fun, and THEN you get aggravated at having to hit A and brake in order to use skills etc. :D

NeoNight

nah am sure it sucks as much as your mom :p :p ... then again I don't think anyone sucks as much as her *drum roll* :p

2fast4u

hehe the only people who dont like mkdd are those who arent good at it. just because you think you are a hardcore mofo gamer it doesnt neccesarily mean you are.. so go practice :p

NeoNight

So what? Getting in 1st place for most of the races (with or without Npcs) I’ve had on 150cc and the reversed circuit and getting in 1st place for the majority of battle mode play isn't good enough to say ......... Mario kart has been killed! lol

The courses are smaller, the characters seem bigger, the speed seems to be the same speed as diddy Kong racing (which is bad imo). There is a whole bunch of other stuff I don't feel like typing right now. Just play mk64 then play double dash and tell me if the game just doesn't have the same "feel" as mk64. And don't tell me ohh pick the small characters there lighter but oh there faster or whatever.

The Big N is loosing its touch! the end is near! lol (just acccept it... I have.. it took time but I understand now.. its all over for the Big N ) /me needs sleep

Last edited:

linemu

NeoNight said:
So what? Getting in 1st place for most of the races (with or without Npcs) I’ve had on 150cc and the reversed circuit and getting in 1st place for the majority of battle mode play isn't good enough to say ......... Mario kart has been killed! lol

The courses are smaller, the characters seem bigger, the speed seems to be the same speed as diddy Kong racing (which is bad imo). There is a whole bunch of other stuff I don't feel like typing right now. Just play mk64 then play double dash and tell me if the game just doesn't have the same "feel" as mk64. And don't tell me ohh pick the small characters there lighter but oh there faster or whatever.

The Big N is loosing its touch! the end is near! lol (just except it... I have.. it took time but I understand now.. its all over for the Big N ) /me needs sleep

that's ACCEPT it... no EXCEPT it. Not only is your opinion bad... so is your Spelling! ;)

NeoNight

linemu said:
that's ACCEPT it... no EXCEPT it. Not only is your opinion bad... so is your Spelling! ;)

you try typing perfectly when its really late :getlost:
didn't know we had english teachers roaming the boards :spam:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
NeoNight,

The courses are smaller because they dispensed with the almost unbearably huge-as-fuck Wario Stadium and Rainbow Road. (editor's note: I -love- Wario Stadium, and have a 100% first-place ratio in that race against anyone who does not use the shortcut)

The speed feels just like MK64 to me, I dunno... I had MK64 and DD both hooked up on two different TV's at exactly the same time, the speed and handling are nearly identical. The only noticeable difference in handling is entering powerslides - you have to 'turn' more to activate the slide, whereas in MK64 you can just jerk the stick to one side for a split second and hop.

And just for additional reference, in MK64 I use Bowser, while in MKDD I use the two Koopas. o_O They obviously changed the overall handling (I mostly can't get used to power sliding using heavier vehicles), but WHY IS IT WRONG TO "UPDATE" A GAME FOR ITS SEQUEL? Even MADDEN gets updated gameplay on some level.

NeoNight

" WHY IS IT WRONG TO "UPDATE" A GAME FOR ITS SEQUEL? Even MADDEN gets updated gameplay on some level. "

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. (Zoe2 is an excellent example of that, or even better the prince of Persia sands of time)

I just don't like it when game companies make really drastic changes for sequels (excluding prince of Persia). Like they say, "If it ain't broke why try to fix it?”

I don’t know what it is but to me MKDD isn't as fun as mk64 used to be, it doesn't have the same feeling you get when you first play mk64. In any case that’s all my opinion.

"The only noticeable difference in handling is entering powerslides - you have to 'turn' more to activate the slide, whereas in MK64 you can just jerk the stick to one side for a split second and hop."

well that explains why power sliding didn't "feel" the same.

Last edited:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
I don’t know what it is but to me MKDD isn't as fun as mk64 used to be, it doesn't have the same feeling you get when you first play mk64. In any case that’s all my opinion.

Well of course the "feeling" won't be there.

MK64 was one of the first truly great-playing 3D "Kart" racing games... It was "WOW". And compare MK64 to its predecessor, MK for the SNES. The handling is EXTREMELY different.

MKDD seems to return more to the original's handling, to an extent - it retains MK64's steering and power slide system, while adding a more MK classic esque pacing.

JevilKnevil

I've played all the MK's and DD is by far the best of the lot. A friend of mine got it for xmas and we've been playing it nonstop since then. I agree, the handling is very much like the Snes MK, which is a good thing. And the amount of maps and playable characters just give it that extra bit to place it on top. Brilliant, I say!

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
MK64 doesnt kick that much arse. Its battlemode is sorta gimmicky next to Mario Kart. All em 3d levels dont compare with the classic tight arenas.

oh what would I give for 4 player game in the old arena?

Clements

The Bob-Bomb battle mode in Mario Kart: Double Dash is wickedly good fun, which is great since MK64's battle mode was not as fun as the arenas were far too big and was not frantic enough. I never used to like battle mode much, but Double Dash really changed that for me. Nice :)

Moose Jr.

Raging Moose
lol, nice on-topic thread you have here, Jaz.

I haven't played it yet, but I've heard from a few that it's good fun. And in reference to the controls, sometimes simplicity is better for a relaxing time. No ridiculously long combos to remember like in a VF4-esque fighting game or coordination-heavy double-stick action in shooters.

In any case, hope you enjoy it!