What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Kinda OT...Retexture PS One games?

Sage Of Time

Mojo Man!!! said:
LOL, I meant a sprite made from a render of a 3d model. I can't believe it! Just the thought of SMW in hi res (well done of course) sends my spine tingling! :drool: I can't believe no one is even willing to try. :angry: Oh well, it will happen sometime I'm sure, the question is when. :cry:
Oh, I see.. That is a little more realistic, sorry for the mix up, but I’ve actually seen such extreme requests before, and your excitement\enthusiasm just threw me off guard a moment.. But anyway, with the required effort to fine-tune animations on a model, you might as well just have a talented artist draw things by hand. At least in my opinion.. But anyways, like I was saying earlier. It's not really feasible to apply this to the SNES. Sprites aren't textures, they have no image ID, theres no way to interpret what is what and how to replace it.

There is only two real ways to do this.. One being--er, actually, let me just quote one of the ZSNES dev’s a moment..

grinvader said:
Well, my 2 cents about all this.

Replacing sprites can theoretically be done.
If you look at how ZSNES used to handle Star Ocean and Street Fighter Zero/Alpha 2, and how it handles SPC7110 games still, that's what we do.
After a team reverse-engineered the sprite data location and dumped them manually, ZSNES uses a hack to load this data from external files instead of looking inside the ROM.

You can replace tiles, sure. However, if you want to change the resolution, you don't need a SNES emulator, you need something else.
The whole 'hi-res tiles' thing is moot without rewriting the entire graphic engine (not just the renderer).
You'd have to draw everything at a huge res, since you're working with 2D planes. You can't say 'this 8x8 area will hold a 64x64 hires tile' without scaling it down, making the res increase useless to begin with.

You'd be better off trying to create a badass new graphic filter, it'd be much faster and easier to add in current emulators...

Or start your own emulator from scratch, making your graphic engine so that tiles, once decoded, are pasted on 3d surfaces.
That way, you'd just have to redraw every tile in the ROM at a higher res and reference all of their ROM locations in a big nice index file for your emu to run SNES games using high-res tiles !
You'll also want to make this engine 32-bpp based, so that your hires tiles can use more colours...
Basically, you'd have:
if (no hires tile)
-> get data from ROM, draw tile using SNES palette, then bring it up to 32bpp, and map it on a quad.
else
-> get data from external file (already 32bpp) and map it on the quad.
Proceed with next tile.

Good luck with that.
Nightcrawler said:
You forgot one other thing Grin.. If you rewrote the emulator to use textured quads, how would you handle HDMA or per pixel effects? That's going to add one even more complexity.
grinvader said:
Pretty much. I completely forgot those... -_-

So as you can see, it's really not feasible to do this.. And theres really no reason to do it, either. Most SNES titles look very good as is. And if you absolutely "must" change the graphics of a game - you can already! Just look into ROM Hacking, you can do a ton of stuff with your favorite games if you take the time to learn it. You won't be able to get higher resolution graphics, but you could touch them up a bit, add shading, etc..

jack

Raziel said:
He knows cause he hangs around NGEmu where every damn PSX emu and GPU plugin authors said so, the way the PSX works isn't compatible with such tricks, even the almighty Pete (let's just call him that way :p) says it's not possible. http://www.foren.de/system/thread-t...videoplugin610-pete_bernert-41709-934500.html

Funny cuz I hang around the ngemu forums too and if I recall right the psx seen over there is just about dead.

But since you know it all, why don't you give me some links that says psx texture replacement isn't possible?

Yes I'm aware of pete's stand on this issue. But then again he was the one who doubted 2xsai wasn't possible with psx emulation in the first place so I don't know how reliable his predictions are.

Sides, if it's possible to apply 2xsai to textures, why wouldn't it be possible to extract said textures, and thus replace it with user defined ones?

I'm no programmer but it's only logical that if you can apply filters to textures, you should be able to do more with the textures.

Last edited:

Raziel

meh ?
jack said:
Yes I'm aware of pete's stand on this issue. But then again he was the one who doubted 2xsai wasn't possible with psx emulation in the first place so I don't know how reliable his predictions are.
Pete never said he thought it wasn't possible to use 2xsai on PSX emulation, he said he doubted it'd do much to improve texture quality (which, some think he was wrong, as for me, I think 2xsai on 3D looks horrible). Now, when he says it's NOT possible to extract the textures and replace them with others, that's a different story, Pete knows his stuff, there's no one out there more knowledgeable about PSX GPU emulation than him (except maybe a few dudes @ Sony :p).
Though, feel free to contact him for details and ask him why.

Mojo Man!!!

texture thief
So, from what I understand it would be easyer to have an emu that renders each different layer on a different plane then have the emu replace the sprites. Oh well, I just though it would be cool.

Sage Of Time

Mojo Man!!! said:
So, from what I understand it would be easyer to have an emu that renders each different layer on a different plane then have the emu replace the sprites. Oh well, I just though it would be cool.
Yeah, basically that's what you'd need to do. Unfortunately, I foresee many problems arising from special chip games that do weird\advanced sprite effects. To be honest, like I said before, you'd be better off using your dedication to just remaking a game from scratch. Of course this isn't a simple task either, but leaves much, much more open to the imagination..

DeathFox007

Y is it not possible? All the PSX plugin needs to do is trap the textures on the screen and replace them. And no PSX graphics plugin developer ever tried.