What's new

I saw it...

Toasty

Sony battery
Well, I liked it. :) I must say they had some very good special effects. Still can't get over how funny that scene with Yoda and the two guards was. And they did a good job of making Emperor Palpatine as evil as ever. I have a soft spot for Star Wars too, so if the acting was crummy, I managed to ignore it. :p

euphoria

Emutalk Member
George Lucas can't direct for shit (or should i say, sith). But a movie with Natalie Portman is always worth watching, infact she's the only reason to watch Epidode II.

The first battle was sweeet. If Lucas' ego just would've bent a little to get a decent director to the films and he could've concentrated on the CG stuff, which he's apparently good at.

A good thing they won't be making anymore of these.

Eagle

aka Alshain
euphoria said:
A good thing they won't be making anymore of these.

Actually when he annouced these 3, he mentioned the possibility of another 3 beyond them. Plus there is guarunteed to be a cartoon series and a television series to follow, its already been announced.

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Uh, not to worry anyone about further misery that he may inflict on SW fans (okay... fine, I didn't actually hate EPIII entirely after another viewing. "Overall" I might even have enjoyed it.) but there was some talk on /. a week or so ago about possible prequels to the prequels being made. What I actually wouldn't object to would be the excellent story from KOTOR being made into a film, or some kind of amalgamation of the two games. Those were characters that were very interesting and HK-47 and Revan (and to an extent Nihilus) were just made for mainstream movie glory. The other interesting side would be to go into something about Anakin's (IIRC) never-mentioned father. If he left Anakin's mother for some darker reason, perhaps even was responsible for them becoming slaves, there may be something worth looking at along those lines.
Meh, maybe I'm just getting impatient for a "KOTORIII" announcement now. ;)

dave_luther

Dangerous Dave
thought it was much better than star wars II , the acting of hayden christensen marignally improved and less cliched lines except for the nooooooo although you cant forgive the "i hate it when he does that" and "i hate flying" makes him sound like indiana jones "i hate snakes"

Amon_Knives

Film Student
I'm just gonna add my two sense in. Technically, a jedi is supposed to be mildly monotone, so the bad acting there can be justified. But it was still really horrible acting, especially on Natalie Portman's part. But then again, acting hasn't been George's strongpoint. George Lucas is my idol, and I have met him in person, so the whole thing about the jedi being monotone is straight from the horse's mouth (so to speak, when i asked him about the stale acting of episode II). And yes, that whole Vader "NOOOOO" thing was really embarrasing for all Star Wars fans. There will definately not be any prequals to the prequals (I think we can leave that to book writers, hey, gives George a few more bucks, even though he's stinkin rich already). There was, when Star Wars was originally dreamed up, supposed to be 9 movies. George has never claimed to be a good director, in fact he saw that in the first movie (episode 4). Thats why he hired Irvin Kershner for Empire. But when he decided that, just for his own pleasure and hopefully the pleasure of die hard fans, he would make the prequals, telling of Anakin's turn to the dark side, he decided he would want to be in the director's seat. He said that after episode III, he would most likely be turning in the title of director and maybe stick to producing (Indy 4 anyone?). I'll try to quote him on this..."If the last three Star Wars were to ever come out, I would only be a supervisor. But seeing as how old Mark and Harrison are getting, it is probably a good bet to say that the last three Star Wars will never come out, at least on film." Yes, this is the end of Star Wars movies. If there are any more stories to squeeze out of it, it will be left up to the imagination of writers. Episode III may not be anywhere near a nominee for best picture (and definatly not for acting), but it was a very good wrap up of the Star Wars saga...which is exactly what George was aiming for when he made it.

And I'd like to say THANK GOD FOR THE STAR WARS CELEBRATION CONVENTION!!!!!
yes...I am a die hard fan, and anyone who wants to critisize me, i dont care, im a geek, im used to it...lol

Jaz

Ex-Mod
I was a little dissapointed too. But then I've never been a great fan of Star Wars.

Looking forward to Sin City and House of Wax this week.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Stalkid64 said:
The other interesting side would be to go into something about Anakin's (IIRC) never-mentioned father. If he left Anakin's mother for some darker reason, perhaps even was responsible for them becoming slaves, there may be something worth looking at along those lines.

yeah, have you seen episode 1, or 3 for that matter? In episode 1 it was said that Anakin had no fater, he was concieved of the midichlorians. In episode 3 it was said that an evil sith lord could actually make the midichlorians create life. In other words, Anakin was only alive because Darth Sidious made it happen. He had planned all of it the whole time. The only father Anakin ever had was Darth Sidious himself.

Amon_Knives

Film Student
Um, Stalkid64, now that I'm reading ur stuff here...do u even pay attention to anything in Star Wars movies...it's a lot deeper than at first sight, which is why most people don't understand it and call it crap.

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Actually I think Lucas himself would probably contradict you on that. The movies are space-opera. Fantasy. Everyone goes too far into trying to read things that aren't there or at least were never intended to be. They're entertainment. Nothing more. The "wise" talk from Yoda in Empire Strikes back for example is something everyone seems to consider this incredibly deep meaningful insightful thing, and I either read or it may have even been in the commentaries recently that according to Lucas there was absolutely no intention or belief that these things were meant in such a fashion. I was surprised by that myself, but there you have it. Essentially it was "Yoda talking garbage" to move the story along. End of story. People manage to go looking for the deeper meanings all by themselves.

As for the whole "midichlorians" issue, I haven't seen an unedited version of Ep 1 for a long, long time. I simply forgot it even existed. A lot of SW fans `considered (it) to be... unnatural.` Ahem.;) Still... Ep III does refer to the story of the other Sith lord as a "Sith legend" which usually indicates something that happened in the distant past. Then going on the film, the knowledge of this technique has also not been passed down as far as Sideous/The Emperor himself, as he tells Anakin that they will `learn the secret to using this power together`. Then of course these are stories from a man who twisted up Anakin's and Luke's family so much that in Ep IV Luke is living with an "Uncle" he isn't actually related to who was Anakin's mothers second-husbands brother (?!) and Ben doesn't recall ever owning a droid or knowing R2-D2 and C3PO. Something you'd expect he might do considering the prequels. ;)

The whole Jedi thing was best left as a mysterious angle and honestly the films are much more enjoyable when stuff like that ("science" to make it sound plausible) is just left out. After all, we don't get technical explanations of how a lighsaber works and no one really cares. You have to buy into it. People find meaning in anything if they look hard enough.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Yes sidious said he didnt know how to do what the "Sith legend" did, but you believed him? Seriously, were talking about a sith lord that lives through lies and deceipt and you believed what he told anakin? I think Sidious knew how to do it, I think he had a part in creating Anakin, and that he was able to forsee all along what Anakin would become.