What's new

I rarely post, but this was so damn funny...

Clements

generalplot said:
From that link come a few interesting shots. I will admit that the FX did win some of the benchmark tests, although not by much. So it shows that intel can still keep pretty close in performance. And in some cases, they win.

You can discount the bottom two benches because they are testing GPU-limited games in 12x10. *Very* bad tests to measure CPU performance, although with Tom's you'd expect as much.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
omnislash124 said:
Meh, I have a little bit of beef with Intel (or maybe it's Dell, but it's really gay right now). I just ordered a P4 2.8GHz computer from Dell to replace my Athlon XP 1800+. I must say, HyperThreading is really not all it's hyped up to be. Maybe it's the 256MB PC2-3200 RAM sucking ass, but my computer actually seems slower compared to my AMD 1800+ Here's a Pic I took when My computer seemed to have trouble closing down a few apps...Mind you, I was sitting here for about 4 or 5 Minutes before I finally had to close down AIM to do something....
Yeah, your beef is definitely with Dell. They can seem to make just about any good chip act like a 486. I've used an AthlonXP 2000+, and my system (400 Mghtz slower than yours) is still faster. If I hadn't known it was faster, I never would have challenged Redah's claim of AthlonXP 2400+ beating a P4 @ 2.4 Ghtz. ;)

OP
Redah

Redah

Go Sweden! Not!
Administrator
generalplot said:
But lately, I'd say it seems like AMD has gotten to be more "liberal" if you will, with the numbering style on their chips lately. And this always makes the Intel scientists pull their hair out. If going by the math a 3000+ was equivalent to that of a 3 Ghtz P4, then how come I came so close to it? Would seem to me that at least 3 seconds should have been the difference, and not just 1. I'm willing to bet if I had some Corsair XMS memory (at a latency of 2 clocks, where mine is plain ol' Wintec Industries at a latency of 3 clocks) that I could probably shave of a second or two and possibly beat that time.

I don't think SuperPI has anything to do with memory, it just tells the CPU 'calculate PI in X decimals' and the CPU goes do its thing.

Now about the numbering thing... my thought on the subject is as follows. It started with, say, the AthlonXP 1500+, or so. At that point, the AMD with X number could easily beat an Intel with X megaherz. So, a 2000+ could crush a 2.0 GHz, etc. Besides benchmarks (that do prove this), think about it for a minute. If this wasn't true, it would be stupid for AMD to use this rating, and the AMD's wouldn't be so popular.

Hence I also said, a 2400+ could beat a P4 2.4GHz. However, AMD used a calculation to give their CPUs a rating. And that calculation is still based on the 'old' Pentium 4's (from back in the 1700+ AthlonXP's). I know that the Pentium 4 has had several 'updates' in the meantime, which would explain why the current 2.4GHz Intel's can compete with a 3000+ AthlonXP. So AMD should really update their rating system, especially with the new Athlon64's. I really don't believe that their new 4000+'es can compete with a P4 at 4GHz.

So I still hold by my claim that a 2400+ could beat an 'old' Pentium4. I'm talking about the Pentium4's that needed RIMM memory modules (or what was it called :)) instead of basic DDR SDRAM. Because those are the CPU's that AMD based their calculations on.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Ahh, you mean the ones that used that slower more expensive Rambus RDRAM. Those 533 bus chips (P4B) and the 400 bus chips (P4A) probably would get crushed by the XP rated on their clocks. But yeah, seems like they do need to update their numbering system a bit. It can be confusing if an AMD customer were to buy a 3000+ thinking it beats a 3 Ghtz P4 (and he's thinking it can beat a 3 Ghtz P4C), when in actuality, the P4B/A series are the only ones it really tops. ;) Just proof that an 800 bus does make a difference.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
You also look "really n00b" using "u" in place of "you." :)

Redah: SuperPI is heavily influenced by amount of RAM, speed, dual or single channel, and latency. The switch from 3 to 2 CL can shave seconds off your results.

You mean the Williamette P4 (the first get P4s that really, really blew)? They never made it past 2GHz. Granted, there were P4B(northwood 400/533, 512K L2)s that used RIMM modules, but only in OEMs, most notably Dell. They supported RDRam and Intel's 850x chipset till the end.

Anyhow, the P4 could technically use DDR, but at the time of the P4's launch and a year or so after, DDR was new and couldn't give the P4 the bandwidth it needed. RDRam was really the only viable option. Dual Channel and just pure height in DDR clock speeds/latencies have really alleviated the P4's bandwidth issues, which were behind its shortcomings quite significantly. With such a high FSB, much memory bandwidth is needed to keep things flowing nicely.. Dual Channel DDR 400 equally matches an 800MHz P4's bus bandwidth of 6.4GB/s.

In the end, a 2400+ would put up a nice fight against a P4B 2.4 with single channel DDR. With Dual Channel DDR, I honestly doubt there would be much of a fight.

Last edited:

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
I don't know what it is with you Knuckles, but every time I turn around, you're fecking with me. What's the deal? Is it a personal issue of yours or what? I mean really. Just cause I say Ghtz (which is how I've always referred to it) doesn't make me a n00b. Just because I don't spell it "GHz" like my box shows, means nothing. On the other hand, using a name like "Knuckles" and using the location as the"floating island" gives you n00bie tendancies as well.

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
At least Knuckles has a reason for calling you a n00b. You on the other hand think that everyone that doesn't agree with you is a n00b... (Isn't that funny?) :happy:

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
PsyMan said:
At least Knuckles has a reason for calling you a n00b. You on the other hand think that everyone that doesn't agree with you is a n00b... (Isn't that funny?) :happy:
Oh boy, more of your shit? I never called anyone a n00b (except this time claiming that Knuckles has n00bie tendancies, which is just in response to him calling me a n00b). Show me a time where I called somebody a n00b that really wasn't a n00b. And a note: saying somebody has n00bie tendancies is not the same thing as calling someone a n00b. But I'll tell you what's really funny: the fact that you follow all my posts with the attempt to try to come up with something clever to say.

Miretank

Lurking
Ok, ok I'm the n00b here. everybody satisfied? Shall we continue? :p
*Miretank watches with excitement the tech-talk battle- "Umm, dammit, forgot the beer and the chips over the table on the kitchen. Could my P4 2.4GHz get them for me?":p

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
generalplot said:
Oh boy, more of your shit? I never called anyone a n00b (except this time claiming that Knuckles has n00bie tendancies, which is just in response to him calling me a n00b). Show me a time where I called somebody a n00b that really wasn't a n00b. And a note: saying somebody has n00bie tendancies is not the same thing as calling someone a n00b. But I'll tell you what's really funny: the fact that you follow all my posts with the attempt to try to come up with something clever to say.
Let's see... When someone claims that AMD CPUs is better than Intel you're calling him a n00b. When he claims that his CPU is better than yours you call him a n00b. You're talking bullshit without really knowing anything and when it's proved that you were wrong you don't admit it. You insult people. You keep posting stuff about your CPU even when it's completely off topic... etc.

You did call Knux a n00b. You just used a indirect method so that you could get away with it if he was going to use that ban button because of your attitude.
Now that I think of it... When you're reffering to a mod or admin you keep that indirect method to say things. On the other hand, when you're reffering to a user without any "powers" you keep insulting him because he obviously can do nothing to you...

Btw, I'm not "following" all your posts. It's your posts about your P4 that pop-up everywhere (and I'm tired of it). If you love Intel so much go bitch about it in an Intel dedicated board.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
You never cease to make me laugh. The only other person that I used the term "n00b" around was that guy, who in fact is a n00b (just registered with the forum this month). And BTW, how could you have missed this post?
generalplot said:
And I want to point out my attachment to Intel, just so people don't think some cult got me to side with them. I've used Intel since my 386, I've had them in my systems now for 13 years, and it's an architecture I understand, mainly because of all that time to get to know them. ;) I'm not an Intel whore, but I don't want to have to learn a whole new architecture to try to understand what it takes to build a good AMD system. And if Intel has always done what I needed it to do, why change what isn't broken? Whether it's RAW power of processing the simpler CISC instructions fast or processing CISC and RISC instructions at the cost of core speeds and such doesn't really make a difference to me. As far as I can tell, both manufacturers produce chips that acheive the same end result in about the same amount of time. Again, it comes down to my personal preference. Intel does what I need it to do, maybe AMD could as well, but again, I'm comfortable with Intel after all these years, so I'll stay with them until they give me a reason not to anymore.
So maybe you don't have all the facts straight? Also, if a moderator can call me a n00b, but I can't reply with the same type of comment, are you suggesting that it's ok for a moderator to abuse his "powers" to insult someone, whereas a person (such as myslef) with no "powers" can't do the same thing?

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
generalplot said:
The only other person that I used the term "n00b" around was that guy, who in fact is a n00b (just registered with the forum this month). And BTW, how could you have missed this post?
Are you sure that you called only one person n00b? Maybe you should take a look at your other posts... Also, I didn't miss the post you mentioned but unfortunately I also didn't miss your other posts.

generalplot said:
are you suggesting that it's ok for a moderator to abuse his "powers" to insult someone, whereas a person (such as myslef) with no "powers" can't do the same thing?
I know at least one person with "powers" here who believes that it's absolutely OK :)

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
PsyMan said:
I know at least one person with "powers" here who believes that it's absolutely OK :)
And so this would be justified, is that what you're saying? Seems a bit lopsided to me. If you feel it is justified, then I can say that I am grateful that you are not with those "powers" to use them unfairly. And care to show me where I may have called someone other than that guy from the dolphin forum a n00b?

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
generalplot said:
And so this would be justified, is that what you're saying? Seems a bit lopsided to me. If you feel it is justified, then I can say that I am grateful that you are not with those "powers" to use them unfairly.
You know... Almost every person that is banned (or going to be banned) believes that the one who banned him used his "powers" unfairly.
If I had these powers and you keeped saying that my word "means shit" and "fuck you" in front of my face then I would surely kick you out of here even if it seemed unfair to you :) (of course you wouldn't say those things just because of these "powers")
generalplot said:
And care to show me where I may have called someone other than that guy from the dolphin forum a n00b?
Sure: http://www.emutalk.net/showpost.php?p=283210&postcount=167 :)

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
generalplot said:
Show me a time where I called somebody a n00b that really wasn't a n00b. And a note: saying somebody has n00bie tendancies is not the same thing as calling someone a n00b.
Again, you misinterpreted it. It's like saying that a straight person has gay tendancies, but they really are straight. Saying they have the tendancies does not mean you are saying they are gay.
PsyMan said:
You know... Almost every person that is banned (or going to be banned) believes that the one who banned him used his "powers" unfairly.
As for this, well, if a mod uses the word n00b to describe a regular user, wouldn't it be fair for that user to react with a similar statement? And as a side note: I would have used the same EXACT words I did, whether or not Knuckles was a mod or not. Just in case you think I would have reacted differently if he didn't have the "powers". After all, he never did come right out and call me a n00b, he just said that how I say "Ghtz" looks like a n00b, thus I never came out and called him a n00b either.;)

Last edited:

jdsony

This thread was getting interesting (kinda going downhill now), I actually learned a lot about Intel since I've kinda been ignoring them. I think I'm gonna switch my P4 1.6 with SDRAM for a P4 2.8 with DDR and HT here at work although I don't really need the extra power it would come in handy sometimes.

My old Athlon XP 2000+ with 512mb SDRAM I'm wanting to convert to a machine for Photoshop, Flash, other web and audio composition. It's powerful enough for that kinda stuff but of course any extra power would be useful. I was thinking about getting a Dual processor board and adding another 2000+ which I can get from my friend for free (and you can convert the XP to MP). This would make the machine quite a lot more powerful but it might make more sense to get a faster P4 for cheap (AMD Dual motherboards are becoming less common but are still expensive) since it would probably be faster for a lot of the content creation software anyway.

Anyone think a P4 2.8c with HT would be faster than a Dual Athlon 2000+ for multitasking? I'm thinking it might and it wouldn't cost a whole lot more.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
To be quite honest, since that Dual Athlon 2000+ would be on a board that supports 2 real processors (as opposed to 2 logical processors) then it most likely would be faster than the 2.8 P4C. True dual processing is better than a dual core (HT) single processor. BTW, I'm glad you brought this back on topic.