What's new

How to scare Bush

Eagle

aka Alshain
I didnt take it personally, if I had I would have been a lot more upset. The point is it could have offended somebody, I'm not the only person from the US here. The best way for emutalk to deal with any kind of discrimination, be it racial, national, sexual, whatever, is to not allow it, at all. Its a sensitive subject and the US flag, for most of us here, is the biggest symbol of pride and freedom. Traditionally we go so far as to not let it even touch the ground. Now some people take this more seriously than I and if your not carefull you could offend someone, so its best not to do it at all. No hurt feelings here, myself, but I'd like to prevent an argument from breaking out with someone else.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Sukh said:
No, not you alpha :) I meant eagle :D

This forum isnt the in the United States, its not in a country. Here Martin is the law, and moderators are the interpreters of that law unless he vetos our interpretation. If you come to the US you can bash the US in my face all you want and I cant do a thing about it. But here I dont support freedom of speech, cause its my job as a moderator not to.

OP
vampireuk

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
/me puts the lighter fluid down

ahhhh I seee

/me hides the matches too and whistles a merry tune

:D

oh dear, its a good job I put this one in way off topic:cool:

2fast4u

AlphaWolf said:
I suppose thats what sets "us" and "them" apart?

my 2 cents here .. its actually those kinda statements that usually piss me off. it makes it sound like americans think they are so much better than europeans.

Sukh

Long gone...
This forum isnt the in the United States, its not in a country. Here Martin is the law, and moderators are the interpreters of that law unless he vetos our interpretation. If you come to the US you can bash the US in my face all you want and I cant do a thing about it. But here I dont support freedom of speech, cause its my job as a moderator not to.

Get ready, RANT time... :D

I didn't bash the US, I don't have a particular urge to bash it either. I personally don't care who I offend, I say what I feel and that's that (lol, probably why I get into so many arguments :).

If I want to bash the American flag I will (but I don't so I won't). If I want to bash the British Union Jack I will (but I don't so I won't). But I want that option to be able to do so. If you begin warning people for disliking the USA, I'm sure half this board will be banned within a few weeks.

And there is no 'LAW' from Martin about bashing the USA or any religion or country for that matter. If something that the US does pisses me off, I'm gonna be straight here moaning about it - and moan about it I will. I try not to be affiliated with any country as such (including my own), and if Britain does something stupid, I'll complain about it. No country is off limits for me!!!!

So please, stop being so sensitive about issues of allegiance - if it's something that you can change (relatively simply - i.e. a matter of thought), then it shouldn't be off limits from anyone to bash - even in this forum.

yogaman2

Banned
there is also another option: If u just have bad things/critics to post, don't post at all.... or better said: grow up or shut up :devil:

/ but of course it's not wrong to post critics as far as they are constructive and their only purpose aren't to bash people from other countries & religions & ethnic minorities ...

- just my 2c

We r all sitting in the same boat ...
-AMEN

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
Yes Sukh, complaining about something the US does is fine, I do that all the time. And I didnt say YOU were bashing anything. But saying the American flag is BS is like saying Americans flying under the flag of BS which in a sense is saying the Americans way of life is BS which I see as discrimination and yes that is against the rule that Martin has set for the forum.

EDIT:

Oh and I dont care if its about the US, the UK, Russia, Germany, or the nation on the planet in the solar system 6 galaxies away from here. I would still get upset if you were making discriminatory remarks on someones nation, religion, race, sex or otherwise.

Last edited:

Sukh

Long gone...
But saying the American flag is BS is like saying Americans are BS

no....

Saying the American Flag is BS is NOT like saying Americans are BS. Frankly I think most of the flags of the countries of the world are bullshit - does that mean that I feel the world is bullshit? No

And again, there is no rule against national/religous bashing - and I won't hesitate to bash whoever I want. Get upset all you like, it won't bother me.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Sukh said:
no....

Saying the American Flag is BS is NOT like saying Americans are BS. Frankly I think most of the flags of the countries of the world are bullshit - does that mean that I feel the world is bullshit? No

And again, there is no rule against national/religous bashing - and I won't hesitate to bash whoever I want. Get upset all you like, it won't bother me.

OK, I edited my post to clarify that but you had already posted. Saying teh American flag is BS is saying their way of life is BS. A flag is a representation of that country and its people, if that flag says BS in big letters, you wouldnt take them seriously, so saying that their flag looks like the BS flag is just like saying that you dont take their way of life seriously. I know it isnt meant that way, but it sounds like that. And yes it is discrimination, and yes, discrimination/predjudice/whatever is against the forum rules. There is even a warning created for that purpose.

Sukh

Long gone...
It's not prejudice. Prejudice is similar in meaning to stereotyping and forming a conclusion based on a stereotype (i.e. without looking at the facts). How did vampireuk do that? I don't think he did.

How is it discrimination? You can't discriminate through text? Discrimination would be saying stuff like "If you're from country X you can't post in board Y".

You obviously don't know the meanings of the words you are using.

This argument isn't going anywhere, you don't seem to be agreeing with my particular point of view (which suprisingly enough your country supports in the ideal of liberty and free speech, as does Europe and many other countries around the world).

/me slaps vampireuk for starting this friggin' thread. Damn you stupid Union Jack Briton :D

Eagle said:
Yes Sukh, complaining about something the US does is fine, I do that all the time. And I didnt say YOU were bashing anything. But saying the American flag is BS is like saying Americans flying under the flag of BS which in a sense is saying the Americans way of life is BS which I see as discrimination and yes that is against the rule that Martin has set for the forum.

wow ur good at making something from nothing... try to take things at face value! a joke about a flag is very different from saying every american licks ass! its very true that americans hate the slightest criticism but are very good at giving it out and this just prooves it...

being a hypocondriac living by politically correct ideals is something the commies are best known for and yet america displays it to the nth degree whenever someone speaks out against anything to remotley do with america, even if its something as pointless, simple, and utterly UTTERLY propaganda laiden as a flag

if you can't see past a flag i suggest you take a long hard look at the world, theres a lot more to life than loving a flag, and if i sound like im patronising you, then just think what you sound like...

im not bashing anyone or any nation here, just the jumpy political correct reactions people have to every single remark, even ones meant in true jest like vampireuk's. Without humour, art or differering views life would be boring and pointless so whats the point in trying to limit them? sure theres a line that shouldnt be crossed but putting so much stock in symbolism should not be where that line is people!

Slougi

Eagle said:
Oh and I dont care if its about the US, the UK, Russia, Germany, or the nation on the planet in the solar system 6 galaxies away from here.
Damn, I need to get a new atlas :plain:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
2fast4u said:
my 2 cents here .. its actually those kinda statements that usually piss me off. it makes it sound like americans think they are so much better than europeans.

Well, if you "read between the lines", I actualy put 3 different contexts into that one line.

First, I notice it's typicaly "us" who try to be tolerant of "their" negative comments, whereas "they" typicaly will not share the same tolerance when "shit flies in their direction". Denie it all you want, but go look around on the majority of public forums and you'll notice exactly what I'm talking about. How often do you see americans bashing a particular country's politics, or even the country itself? (If your lost in what im getting at, compare that with how many times you see specific countries bashing america in the same way. Hell, go into a multiplayer game and make any negative stereotypical remark about the US, something even as simple as "americans are so stupid" I guarentee you that people will be agreeing with whatever it is you say)

Second, I am noting that "they" at times like to separate themselves from "us", with attacking comments like this:

vampireuk said:
/me looks at that flag.....is that the stars and stripes!

no wait its the BS flag....they kind of look the same:D :p

and realy wont have it any other way, no matter what you tell them.

Third, I am being hypothetical in that "we" could be on the same ground as "them" if "they" wanted it to be the case, which people like sukh are able to demonstrate, so there is no difference in this case. Hence why I put the question mark, otherwise it would have been a period.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Really I dont think any one country is better than another, some are better in different areas. There is more than just government to all this really. I mean throwing government out the window, there is entertainment, fine arts, prosperity, I love the scenery in England a lot more than the US. That reminds me of when I was over there, I couldnt get enough of the castles, we went and saw three of them, they were amazingly complex considering they were built by hand. And whats more amazing is that they are still standing after all this time. I like the architecture in France too. That was cool. I dont know what they were called anymore but I loved going there, anyway back to my point, there is a lot more to a country than its government. Personally I think the majority of all our government leaders are incompetent but well thats just me, but just becuase the government consits of idiots doesnt mean the rest of the coutry is like that, and you shouldnt base everything on a sterotype AlphaWolf, people in the UK accept a fair amount of verbal beating from some of the US citizens too, but my point is none of it belongs here. And I'm being very specific as well, I dont like it when one person says something about an entire country or all the people from that country, most of the time its untrue (back to the stereotypes again). Now if you want to complain about the idiots in our government, I'll be the first to join you, but what I'm saying is that comments should not target a country as a whole or symbols of that country such as their flag, their statue of liberty, their Buckingham Palace (or whatever, I'm not from england so I cant think of anything else), or anything else that represents what their country is and who they are.

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
Oh and might I add that the "Americans think they are better than everyone else" stereotype is what led to September 11th. And unfortunately that actually was true once upon a time in the days of capitalism, but the US has grew out of that mentality and did so a long time ago.

Sukh

Long gone...
Right, well I think it's time to put this argument (which I fell has been very constructive) to rest...

Firstly I'll start by agreeing with AlphaWolf (to a certain extent). The USA as the world's only current super power (The EU and China soon, and later on possibly India or a re-emergance of Russian power, who knows?) has the ability to do pretty much whatever it wants. It is rich, prosperous and powerful. Who can deny that? Therefore the people of America must accept that people around the world would be jealous (and rightly so if you've seen suffering in poorer countries). Frankly this goes with the teritory, and there is little anyone could do about it while the USA is still a superpower.

Secondly, although the USA and UK are very different, they're also culturally and linguistically very close - there isn't much between it. Therefore there are no big international problems as both countries will always tend to back each other up as they have similar goals (and frankly at the moment, they seem to be joined at the hip :). However, it's little things that the lil' ol' people in the countries get irriritated and to a certain extent, xenophobic about. This is because there is no international conflict and therefore the cultures clash (do you see American and Iraqi culture clashing? nope) which means that people on both sides become defensive. This is just my opinion and I don't know if I'm right, but that's how I see it.

Finally, I appreciate other people's cultures and to a lesser extent their religous beliefs BUT this is the main reason for conflict. As a person, I believe in the ideal of a fairly equal (i.e. no poverty, access to clean water, food, and broadband :D) world where people are free to move around without restrictions. Therefore I (and I stress I, not you :D) don't feel that I should in anyway support a nation just because I am a member of it or that I shouldn't disrespect someone else's country because it's their way of life. The only time I would 'fight for my country' is if my or my family/friend's lives were threatened, or for that matter the ideals that I uphold.

To conclude, frankly, who gives a shit? People shouldn't be so sensitive, conservative and il-liberal!

/me feels like an old wise man... :D lol

Last edited: