What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

How to add transparency to textures used for sprites?

Gecko Lee

I've attached a screenshot. As you can see, the palm bark in the background has a black background whereas the barrel in the foreground is transparent.

Any suggestions? :(

Last edited:
OP
Gecko Lee

Gecko Lee

I use Paint Shop Pro X.

It seems that the bark is no real sprite, but normal geometry which has the same attributes as a sprite: moving textures. Therefore, it must be a specific problem or Maybe the plugin (Jabo) is still bugged.

Iconoclast

Dunno about version X, but I do know Paint Shop Pro 7 for me doesn't support the alpha channel. It just makes everything full opacity unless its something you drew on stage or you pasted an RGBA image onto a layer in front of the transparent background layer.

The black shadow in other terms has lost its alpha channel when you save it, at least that's what I think.

Iconoclast

C9A3B3EC287F7B4D69C32A5EE67C374C.png

OP
Gecko Lee

Gecko Lee

Didn't work out. :(

Maybe it's a limitation of the engine as the original bark was really fat. It just filled the whole resolution.

Congo%20jungle.PNG

OP
Gecko Lee

Gecko Lee

You described it very well. Thank you very much for your help. Still, it won't work.
Could my graphics card be the problem? It's a Radeon 9200 mobile.

Still it could be impossible as the original creators made a texture with which they probably have circumvented this problem.

Do you know if this problem exists when using Rice's plugin?

Iconoclast

Well, I never really was the master of nets. :p I do (and really should've) know, though, that it was wrong of me to rotate the texture verically like that. It's supposed to be upside down, so that the game will rotate the texture itself. If you rotate the texture for the game, it will only be rotated again. Probably one of Nintendo's emulation paranoia things; I don't know, they do this with many other games.

C9A3B3EC287F7B4D69C32A5EE67C374C-2.png

Your graphics card should not affect how textures are wrapped, I don't think.

Rice's I'm not sure about. It may fix the black background of the tree texture, which should really be transparent, with some alpha settings. Try checking "Normal Alpha Blender" in Jabo's advanced options.

To be honest, I'm feeling too lazy to actually get into the game and dump the texture myself, look at what's going on and why just the native texture has no issues, maybe others will like that job more than I will, but I'll try to answer your questions.

But now I think I see the point of Xenobond's question. It's the program that's saving it. The native texture had a different formatting level of PNG that affected the background's transparency storage method, ..I guess. :p Try saving changes to it with various programs; I used ArtIcons Pro.

OP
Gecko Lee

Gecko Lee

YES! This fucking works! Force normal blender - thank you very much!!! :party:

So I'll be adding my first screenshots, soon. Just finished one texture after 3 hours of work. What a pain in the ass. Thank you so much for your help!

Last edited: