What's new

How long will PJ64 last?

Status
Not open for further replies.

weinerschnitzel

Surreal64 Nut
A few of us are known for nagging the PJ64 team for new source code. (Xbox1 FTW!) To my understanding, 1.4 was open sourced as Jabo and Zilmar stepped away from the project. They weren't necessarily happy with where that decision took them. (I'm guessing they wanted more of an emulation push specifically for windows.) There was merit from the 1.4 source release, i.e. Azimer's PJ64 AudioFix, Project64k, Surreal64, and of course some of the work that lead into 1.5.

Zilmar had told me there wouldn't be much reason to release new source code because the emulation techniques haven't changed, and he can be of better assistance than simply giving away his work.

However if Project64 comes to a halt, I hope they reconsider licencing everything under GPL. There is so much that others could take from this, and the developers know this.

Allnatural

Why would someone be interested in 1.4? 1.4 is old and would require a lot of work to get it to 1.7 status. Of course no one was interested in it, 1.7 is the latest and work is best started from there.
Right, and there wasn't much interest when it was current (not sure how you missed that).

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Project64 will work so long as the newer OS's are backwards compatible, it'd be silly if they weren't. Eventually it might not work but i'm sure either

A) An emulator like DosBox will arise for old windows applications (emulatorception!) OR
B) A new emulator will be available by then.

Not to mention there are alternatives, 1964 and Mupen are fairly strong competitors to Project64's crown and their latest version is out in source. Albeit under the GPL license, In the case of 1964 its not like anyone actually bothers to obey it - which still kind of baffles me.

If the secret code actually did anything like significantly improve emulation overall then I would understand why they'd want to keep it under wraps for a while but its mostly Overclocking and GUI improvements. I've said before that i'm okay with them keeping their code until they are done with it though and I mean it, even though we shouldn't have to make allowances for it. I find it hilarious that the main sticking point for new development is the very reason they have the ability to develop it in the first place, oh well.

I'm not impressed nor do I even have to be, but could you imagine the state Dolphin or PCSX2 would be in if the developers had the same mentality? ... woah went off on a right tangent there.

I digress, anyway 1964 and Mupen and even 1.4 will still be there for anyone seriously wanting to contribute anything in the future.

Last edited:
OP
U

Ultimatium

1.7 is good with the new logo except a few errors but a few bugs but fix those and you have a finnished/complete product.

Toasty

Sony battery
Your post brought to mind this quote from a brilliant participant in this thread. :whistling

The emulator is very far from "perfect" and no where near "finished" (where finished means complete). That's not a jab at the awesome job that's been done on it, but simply a fact. I'd venture a pretty certain guess that it would require more time than has been devoted to PJ64 thus far to fix the "crashes/problems with all games" because they are actually complex problems that would require an enormous amount of work to emulate correctly. Interest in the project has waned because, as you said, it does most things pretty well, and the benefit of fixing the remaining issues does not justify the time it would take. If you're seriously interested in seeing perfect N64 emulation, it's time to take up programming as a hobby. (Even if you don't succeed, you'll gain a lot of perspective on why progress has slowed.)

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
I hope that those of you who request source code noticed that most of the time, after an emulation project goes open source (after repetitive requests from various people) it ends up dying up after having other stuff, unrelated to emulation added to it.

When PJ64 went open, no one grabbed the source to continue development.
When Mupen64 went open only a few did and the progress has been minor over all this time.
When Demul was open (it was, a long time ago) no person touched the code apart from the original staff.

The same happens to other projects too. Yabause, nullDC, PCSX2, PCSX, younameit. Even MAME (and similar projects) are kept updated due to the amount of work casual (older) project members do.

The only open emulation projects having lots of new active contributors are the ones for newer systems, like Dolphin and desmume (until emulators for even newer systems come out).

So what's the logic, no one touched some other emulator so no one is going to do any work on PJ64? Even if PJ64 went open source and no one worked on it for years, it'd still be better than letting it sit an die without the possibility of anyone adding to it. PJ64 has been a big part of the emulation scene and used by the public for a very long time, I think it's time to let go and give others the chance to make it better if they wish. This is long overdue.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
So what's the logic, no one touched some other emulator so no one is going to do any work on PJ64?

Correction, no one did any work on PJ64 since it went open source. What's the plan? Re-opening the source that originally was open so that people can re-add netplay, a more catchy GUI and their name in the credits? There's a higher chance of all this happening if someone bugs the actual developers enough. :p

Everyone knows who the main contributors of PJ64 are, anyone foolish enough to add their name to that list is just that, foolish. Besides, being afraid that some idiot is going to do something stupid is not a reason to not let something good happen.

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Everyone knows who the main contributors of PJ64 are, anyone foolish enough to add their name to that list is just that, foolish.
cough-PJ64K-cough

Psyman is right whenever an emulator source code gets released it gets crapped on. It is a shame but that is how it is...

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Just stay in your house and never go outside, because there is always a chance of getting ran over by a bus.

Alright then, I'll go out of my house and use your car to get to your house and have sex with you wife since you're so willing to share...

PS: I hope you don't mind raising the children I'll make with your wife. As a side-note, sorry for crashing your car and burning your house, your wife and I were having so fun and ended up quite drunk so it was an accident, alright two accidents. Anyway, with some hard work you should be able to buy a new car and build a new house for me to ruin. I have faith in you, good luck! :D

That was a little weird and misplaced, but I suppose you missed the point and are too far gone to ever get it. Be well, wacko (your custom title). :D

Last edited:

Toasty

Sony battery
That was a little weird and misplaced, but I suppose you missed the point and are too far gone to ever get it. Be well, wacko (your custom title). :D
Actually, he got your point well enough to not only understand it, but also to bounce back a much more pertinent point. (Hint: Look for the metaphors.)

Spoiler:
In his post, the wife, house and car are valuable and represent the source code. You represent the owners of the source code. Psyman represents the noob programmers who want you to share the valuable thing just so they can screw around with it (pun intended) without adding any real value, and in the process introduce all kinds of problems that you'll be responsible for fixing.

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Going open source isn't the death-knell of emulation, pcsx2 and dolphin are both fairly successful open source projects that keep getting better. Obviously n64 emulation has dried up - I think there's a good chance that would've happened regardless of source code being released or not.

But we can argue whether n64 emulation would be better off if PJ64's latest version was open source till we're blue in the face, that's not going to change the fact that it isn't open source and that there are viable alternatives to it. They aren't going to release the source, you'll have to get over it.

If you really are a talented programmer why do you need that specific source code in particular, its not like it is light years ahead of 1964 or Mupen, in fact I would wager the vast majority of people who want the source code are incapable of furthering its development in any meaningful manner - the ones who are capable can still get 1964/Mupens which IMO are just as good.

Actually, he got your point well enough to not only understand it, but also to bounce back a much more pertinent point. (Hint: Look for the metaphors.)

Spoiler:
In his post, the wife, house and car are valuable and represent the source code. You represent the owners of the source code. Psyman represents the noob programmers who want you to share the valuable thing just so they can screw around with it (pun intended) without adding any real value, and in the process introduce all kinds of problems that you'll be responsible for fixing.

You think he got my point by concocting a ridiculous scenario like that? Anyway, keep the code hidden, be afraid and let it die and never improve due to ignorance. That seems to be on-par with peoples thinking these days, so go for it. Closed minds prevail again I guess.

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Just making a point here. No ill intentions. But it looks like only Toasty got it...

Status
Not open for further replies.