What's new

How long will PJ64 last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will it work with the next gen. of Windows, like Windows 8?

Because it works with XP,Vista and 7. How long will you keep supporting it?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
As long as Windows 8 doesn't drastically change the internal Windows behavior from Windows 7, there's no reason why Project64 wouldn't work on Windows 8.

OP
U

Ultimatium

And if Windows should change internally sooner or later then are you guys going to be around to keep supporting PJ64 on Windows?

Toasty

Sony battery
I also hear Nintendo is going to stop supporting the N64. And I was just starting to like the N64...

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
One of "those guys" just decided to leave the project...

http://www.emutalk.net/threads/53390-An-update-on-Project64

so who knows?

the main core can update just fine without jabo, and tbh, the latest beta video plugin from jabo had more problems than fixes (kirby 64 stopped rendering many enemies)
Glide64 and nrage has offered much more over the official plugins for some time, but they are still just fine for best compatibility.

OP
U

Ultimatium

I just hope you guys will continue being around to develop and support PJ64, because it is the best alternative to the original N64 console. I don't want the N64 or GC or WII hooked up to my TV, only my PS3.

But the thing is that i have a special love for Nintendo's oldskool games, and i have decided to keep OOT/MM/SM64 with me forever. And the N64 can't be hooked up to my 50" TV, well it can but the graphics are ugly and rubbish. Plus, i don't want an old N64 standing in front of my High End TV.

But the thing is that i have a special love for Nintendo's oldskool games, and i have decided to keep OOT/MM/SM64 with me forever. And the N64 can't be hooked up to my 50" TV, well it can but the graphics are ugly and rubbish. Plus, i don't want an old N64 standing in front of my High End TV.

Then give to me :D

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Of course, when Nintendo 64 was released, there were no such things as 50" high end HDTVs. When the original resolution of 320x240 is displayed on a 50" HDTV, it's not really that the graphics are ugly and rubbish (in fact, no different from way back then), but an LDTV resolution (analog signal no less) of that kind was never meant to be stretched to fit a TV that has a base digital resolution many times that.

Furthermore, the Expansion Pak was only used by a handful of games, and 640x480 is no match to a HDTV either.

Last edited:
OP
U

Ultimatium

all we need in pj 64 is:

1. Fix crashes/problems with all games

2. Remove black borders from games

Allow people to rename the games and give them proper names like "Super Mario 64" instead of MARIO64.

That's basically it, then the emulator is perfect, why did they stop working on it now when its so close to be finnished? makes no sence. will they make it open source?

Allnatural

all we need in pj 64 is:

Allow people to rename the games and give them proper names like "Super Mario 64" instead of MARIO64.

That's basically it, then the emulator is perfect, why did they stop working on it now when its so close to be finnished? makes no sence. will they make it open source?
1. In a perfect world...

2. Not a priority imo, but whatever...

3. The rom I have is named "Super Mario 64." The save file is too (though it's in caps).

4. They made v1.4 open source. There hasn't been much interest in it.

Toasty

Sony battery
all we need in pj 64 is:

The emulator is very far from "perfect" and no where near "finished" (where finished means complete). That's not a jab at the awesome job that's been done on it, but simply a fact. I'd venture a pretty certain guess that it would require more time than has been devoted to PJ64 thus far to fix the "crashes/problems with all games" because they are actually complex problems that would require an enormous amount of work to emulate correctly. Interest in the project has waned because, as you said, it does most things pretty well, and the benefit of fixing the remaining issues does not justify the time it would take. If you're seriously interested in seeing perfect N64 emulation, it's time to take up programming as a hobby. (Even if you don't succeed, you'll gain a lot of perspective on why progress has slowed.)

As far as removing black borders go, they are there because the game wants them to be there. Removing them would cause PJ64's behavior to diverge further from that of the original console (technically making it less perfect). Hacks/cheats might be better suited to fill this role, though a developer might take an interest if he cares about it and there are many games that use the same technique to display borders. The ROM names are part of the ROM; PJ64 just displays them, whatever they may be.

OP
U

Ultimatium

The emulator is very far from "perfect" and no where near "finished" (where finished means complete). That's not a jab at the awesome job that's been done on it, but simply a fact. I'd venture a pretty certain guess that it would require more time than has been devoted to PJ64 thus far to fix the "crashes/problems with all games" because they are actually complex problems that would require an enormous amount of work to emulate correctly. Interest in the project has waned because, as you said, it does most things pretty well, and the benefit of fixing the remaining issues does not justify the time it would take. If you're seriously interested in seeing perfect N64 emulation, it's time to take up programming as a hobby. (Even if you don't succeed, you'll gain a lot of perspective on why progress has slowed.)

As far as removing black borders go, they are there because the game wants them to be there. Removing them would cause PJ64's behavior to diverge further from that of the original console (technically making it less perfect). Hacks/cheats might be better suited to fill this role, though a developer might take an interest if he cares about it and there are many games that use the same technique to display borders. The ROM names are part of the ROM; PJ64 just displays them, whatever they may be.

I know just about nothing when it comes to programming, but i know that the guys who made muppet64 succeeded with removing the black borders, so why shouldn't project 64? It has the best graphics and lay out overall. I think its more popular thhan you guys thinks there are plenty of threads on the net about project 64 and youtube videos with people demonstrating how the emulator works (some of them are even in hd).

Toasty

Sony battery
No one ever said PJ64 was unpopular, but the popularity of a project by its users doesn't necessarily correlate with developers' interest in fixing the project's deficiencies. Some software projects can do awesome things, but if the code is difficult to improve, devs might lose interest. Fixes/enhancements for one project [mupen64/plus] might not port cleanly/at all to other projects [PJ64]. Again, the only truly reliable way to ensure that a project like this has active developers is to become one. (Sad, I know, but true.)

OP
U

Ultimatium

1. In a perfect world...

2. Not a priority imo, but whatever...

3. The rom I have is named "Super Mario 64." The save file is too (though it's in caps).

4. They made v1.4 open source. There hasn't been much interest in it.

When i play ocarina of time it calls the game THE LEGEND OF ZELDA and nothing more- this is confusing since there are several Zelda games for N64. It would be best and easiest to just call it "Project 64" regardless of what game is being played. This is not a priority, i know, but this emulator is very good and only need a few changes imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.