What's new

Help with Project 64 1.6 - Dual Display Interactivity

_yo_wasup_

I have this prime setup right now. I have my computer on dual display with my HDTV Samsung 32" LCD and I set Project 64 at 1360x768 32 bit 60 hz. My video card is a Evga Nvidia geforce 8600 GTS SuperClocked and my processor is an AMD 64 bit 3800+ x2. I am using Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6 graphics plugin, and am using an n64 to usb adapter (that let me just add), works 100% perfect and I don't know why people have trouble. (beside the point)

I can drag Project 64 to my HDTV through an sVGA connection that supports my high resolution of 1360x768, and then proceed to full screen mode.

Here is the problem:
Whenever I click on anything on my primary display (My computer monitor), The game stops, music stops, and it turns black, I believe it might even minimize itself. What I want to do, is use my computer while a friend of mine is playing on Project 64. I want to be able to change windows on the other display (my computer primary display) while keeping the separate monitor (HDTV secondary display) going on uninterrupted. Is there a way to do this?

Litterbox

I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure what you're asking for isn't possible.

It's not an emulator issue so much as it is an OS issue, I'd think. You're taking away focus from Project 64 when you click on the primary display. So it's like you said. You're basically minimizing Project 64. I'm sure there's a way to keep sound running, and have the picture stay on your HDTV, but I don't think you'd be able to actually /do/ anything with it. The controller won't interact with it, because instead it'll be looking to send whatever your controller is doing to whatever you have clicked (which will likely result in nothing happening on either screen.)

EDIT: Seems I was wrong. I've managed to get the game to play while other windows are selected, and the fix is actually really easy.

Just go to Options at the top. Click Settings and go to the "Options" tab. Disable "Pause emulation when window is not active?" and it should work just fine.

Last edited:
OP
Y

_yo_wasup_

I just tried that, it seems that only works when I have it in window mode. If I put it to Full Screen and click on anything from the primary monitor, it minimizes, the audio keeps going, and if I go back into it by clicking it on the taskbar, it comes up black until I hit esc and it goes back into window mode with color, where I could start the process over and over.

If we don't find a solution, i'll have to just stick with the windowed 1024x768 on the 2ndary display in only window mode, showing the title bar, buttons, border, etc. :(

p.s. the first time I did this, I got this error like 10 times before it stopped showing up:

p64errorfl9.jpg

Last edited:

A.I.

Banned
Well, it plays 100% on my secondary monitor - 17' WS LCD on 1024X768, 75 hz. The only problem is sometimes Nivida settings mysteriously resets and I also notice running some programs like DVD Shrink turns off the secondary monitor.

OP
Y

_yo_wasup_

So right now, I am limited to playing it on window mode on secondary. I can then interact on my primary display. Can someone figure out how I can tweak my settings or something that will allow me to play on full screen on my 2ndary display while clicking around on windows on my primary display?

p_025

Voted Least Likely to Succeed
I already pointed this out, but my problem was even worse. I like to use the mouse to control the view in games such as Goldeneye (so I can play it as though it were Counter-Strike, right?). I'd use the N-Rage plugin to do this, and unless I told it to lock the mouse before going to full screen, the mouse would hover onto my other monitor and I'd wind up clicking on there. It would do exactly what you're describing.

I also have a GeForce (7600GS), good cards, no? I get 100% performance on either monitor.

Jabo

Emulator Developer
The dual monitor support for PJ is slightly confusing, so I'll spell out how it works in a little more detail. First to be clear, PJ supports dual monitors, you can run PJ on whatever device you want and it will be accelerated. Here's the caveats and limitations tho on top of the discussion;

1. Some hardware does not support 3D acceleration on secondary devices, this is just a simple fact. Even if you have dual monitor support, that doesn't mean necessarily your secondary device will be accelerated. (All modern hardware from Nvidia I've seen supports it tho)

2. PJ does not support changing devices while it is running in windowed mode, it initializes the device on the monitor it starts up on. For example, if you start PJ up on monitor/device #1 and then drag it to another monitor, unfortunately DirectX switches into software mode, and PJ is not smart enough to change devices to the new one automagically. A "trick" I've used to get around this is dragging PJ over to monitor #2, and then going into Full Screen which will force PJ to recreate it's device context correctly for the new monitor/device. The bonus being you probably wanted fullscreen anyway, so you could almost consider this a feature :p

Hope this helps.

Last edited: