What's new

GTA3 + VC on XBox

jollyrancher

"Rockstar Games will release Grand Theft Auto 3 and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City on the Xbox on November 4 in the form of a "Double Pack."

There goes one of the biggest reasons to own PS2 over XBox. Plus the XBox version is said to have sharper gfx than the PS2.

smegforbrain

jollyrancher said:
There goes one of the biggest reasons to own PS2 over XBox. Plus the XBox version is said to have sharper gfx than the PS2.

One of the biggest reasons?

Not really.

I don't own any GTA as it is. :)

Besides, anybody who wants the game likely already has it for the PS2. I don't see a rush of people getting an XBox version for "slightly better graphics".

OP
J

jollyrancher

When you compare systems it all comes down to the type/quality of the games. Lots of people say that Saturn was more powerful than PSX, but PSX had the better games. So right now you've 3 consoles that have 80-90% of the same games and the quality of the 3 versions is about the same. But each system has several key games (GC has Zelda, XBox has Halo, and PS2 had GTA3) that could sway someone into getting that system, since all the other games are the same. So assuming someone hasn't bought a system yet, GTA3 is no longer a factor, unless they like Game Cube games.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Er...weren't you just attacking me for talking positively about the xbox earlier?

Did you forget to take your fluphenazine again?

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
It's an irrelevant issue anyway; both games are incredibly superior on the PC format. 1600x1200 DX9 GTA: Vice City? Yes please.

Hyper19s

Banned
I just want gta3/vice city to come out for the cube
even if its a 2 disk set it would still be cool as hell!!

Does Anybody agree with me???

Before its all over with the ps2 xbox gamecube that is ...

Davemc

Dave
I have them both on PS2 and PC, I don't see why it should be brought out on GC, because many GC owners have another console. (like moi)

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
IMO you were lieing to yourself if you were expecting to play games like GTA when you bought your GC.

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Terrible pity that Nintendo markets its' consoles as 'for kiddies'. The GameCube was (and is) a console with immense potential. Unfortunately Nintendo have failed to realise that, in recent years, gaming has changed hugely, and that the publicity methods of the SNES days simply won't work on today's... 'PlayStation Generation'.

Not bidding on the James Bond license, for example, following GoldenEye's release was a huge mistake on their part, in that it ensured that future incarnations of the franchise would appear on other consoles, thus resulting in their own fanbase being pushed away from them. Third-party licensing seems to cause problems for Nintendo.

The fact that they always have to do things ever so differently doesn't help their position, either. Their 8cm DVD-esque optical discs, while an ingenious form of piracy prevention, stretch the distribution process to such an extent that it's ridiculous, in a similar fashion to the days of the N64's cartridges.

... all that, and I'm actually one of their fans!

Stezo2k

S-2K
Xade said:
Terrible pity that Nintendo markets its' consoles as 'for kiddies'. The GameCube was (and is) a console with immense potential. Unfortunately Nintendo have failed to realise that, in recent years, gaming has changed hugely, and that the publicity methods of the SNES days simply won't work on today's... 'PlayStation Generation'.

Not bidding on the James Bond license, for example, following GoldenEye's release was a huge mistake on their part, in that it ensured that future incarnations of the franchise would appear on other consoles, thus resulting in their own fanbase being pushed away from them. Third-party licensing seems to cause problems for Nintendo.

The fact that they always have to do things ever so differently doesn't help their position, either. Their 8cm DVD-esque optical discs, while an ingenious form of piracy prevention, stretch the distribution process to such an extent that it's ridiculous, in a similar fashion to the days of the N64's cartridges.

... all that, and I'm actually one of their fans!

well said mate, couldnt of said it better myself, totally agree with you

Remote

Perhaps a step away from home consoles and only making games for other consoles, but witch one to pick?, as well as continuing the handheld era would be the right step for nintendo.

Hyper19s

Banned
Remote said:
Perhaps a step away from home consoles and only making games for other consoles, but witch one to pick?, as well as continuing the handheld era would be the right step for nintendo.
well the gameboy advance and sp are currently
unmatched. you got to hand it to them for that.

And besides you never know, gta might be on the
gc some day, time will tell.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
hypershadow1 said:
well the gameboy advance and sp are currently
unmatched. you got to hand it to them for that.

And besides you never know, gta might be on the
gc some day, time will tell.

Well, if it did, it would come in a 4 disc set :p Either that or be crippled in some way.

Its things like this that usualy make console ports flop under their originals, and if the company knows this they probably wouldn't port it.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Actually, the GTA-esque True Crime: Streets of LA is getting a GCN version.

Anyway, I disagree that GCN is being marketed as kiddie... it's just the prevailing image and unfortunate predominance of third-party games like Spongebob Squarepants: Revenge of the Flying Dutchman that give it the kiddy image. Nintendo market it as being for everyone, as indicated by their pusing the Star Wars: Rogue Squadron games, Eternal Darkness, and now Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes.

Hyper19s

Banned
(Offtopic) well midnight club 2 should be for the cube because that would fit on to one disk (just barely).
they might be able to improve on the ps2 version
like xbox did.

and what do you think of that new need for speed
under ground thats coming out for all three consoles
ea says its not going to be messed up like the gc version of Hop Pursuit 2 was.! (IE framerate probs)

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Tagrineth said:
Actually, the GTA-esque True Crime: Streets of LA is getting a GCN version.

Anyway, I disagree that GCN is being marketed as kiddie... it's just the prevailing image and unfortunate predominance of third-party games like Spongebob Squarepants: Revenge of the Flying Dutchman that give it the kiddy image. Nintendo market it as being for everyone, as indicated by their pusing the Star Wars: Rogue Squadron games, Eternal Darkness, and now Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes.

And your excuse for the horrendous delays in release dates of just about every third party game on the GameCube?

Uh-huh...

I'm as much of a fan of the GameCube as the next guy (I own one), but to me the console represents a failure on Nintendo's part to learn just about anything from the mistakes they made in the N64 days; perhaps other than producing more games they've done little to change their position.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Xade said:
And your excuse for the horrendous delays in release dates of just about every third party game on the GameCube?

Uh-huh...

I didn't give one, but I'd guess it's probably due to THE POOR PUBLIC IMAGE OF NINTENDO AT THE MOMENT *glares at all the nay-sayers, especially HigherVoltage listing GCN as 'likely Nintendo's last' console even from day one*.

I'm as much of a fan of the GameCube as the next guy (I own one), but to me the console represents a failure on Nintendo's part to learn just about anything from the mistakes they made in the N64 days; perhaps other than producing more games they've done little to change their position.

Um. OK? There were more total GCN games out a year ago than there were total N64 games *PERIOD*... hence getting back to the stupid poor public image shit Nintendo is going through, much like Sega in the early Dreamcast days.