What's new

Gta3 Pc Makes Me Cry

adi

get out of my house
I buy this game after my exams are over and think my systems up to spec (1.33 athlon, geforce2mx). It runs like a pig and the control system is soooooo messed up with my gamepad. Anyone else here had problems?

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Gameplay is alright, although I play with the keyboard. The frame rate is dodgy, but that`s suppose to be some kind of a known issue. Still, I`m thoroughly enjoying the game, it`s great.

Josep

eyerun4phun
err, yea, don't like it on my gf2mx too, thats why im getting gf4ti;) welll not the wholE reason, but ya know

Trotterwatch

I have set 3 different copies of this game up on 3 different systems:

My own:

Athlon 900mhz
384 ram
XP Pro
GF3 Ti200 (default clocking)
SB Live!
(XP D8 patch)

On this config, at 1024x768 32bit colour (max detail) and Quincux antialiasing the game is extremely playable (and smooth). Turn off Quincux, and the game gets even smoother.

The only things I have tweaked is the OS (turned off all un-needed services), and I have copied all the Audio files to my HD and installed the NO CD Crack. This stops the game jerking momentarily when changing radio stations.

Friend 1s comp:

P3 500
GF2mx
Win98se
196ram
SB PCI 128
(no background tasks bar explorer)

I am not going to pretend this game is silky smooth running on the said configuration, but the average framerate of 20FPS (tested with fraps) is well playable.

Friend 2:

P3-850
GF2 GTS
Win98se
SB Live!
(no background tasks, bar Explorer)

All details on max at 800x600x32 and the game runs smoothly for most parts, jerking only a little when police chases get more involved.

The biggest tweak for performance in this game (mostly on my friends systems) was to enable Direct Sound Hardware Acceleration in the sound options, and copying the Audio files to the HD.

Trotterwatch

Oh, and with regards to the control system.... either use the Keyboard, Mouse + gamepad (for when in the car).

Or change the controller setting to Classic, this will make the joypad rotate the character, instead of the default strafe motion.

OP
adi

adi

get out of my house
i fixed the controller and graphics problems, its smooth now at 800x600x32. takes far too much effort to fully optimise this game though, but once you start playing its amazing. i think my graphics card was the weak part of my system

OP
adi

adi

get out of my house
oh yeah trotterwatch, i've got windows xp professional as well. what 'unneeded' services did you turn off? can you keep them off permanently or just for gta 3?

OP
adi

adi

get out of my house
how much of a performance boost would you say you got by doing all these tweaks?

Trotterwatch

Not a massive boost, but you will get one. Basically disabling processes that you will never need will free up more memory, leaving you with more to run programs etc.

OP
adi

adi

get out of my house
yep, you're right. i did a clean install of xp and disabled index searching. its quite good in that my harddisk doesn't start whirring for no apparent reason anymore

RPGlover12

guys i need help with that game
i have specs p4 1.7, tnt2 m64 32 mgs , 256 and 60 gb hard what should i do to make the game run smooth and i have windows 2000 so what should i do plz help cause am going to die cause i can't play it good though :(

Lex

it runs great on my cousins athlon 1.4GHz with gf2 mx400 32mb ddr
128MB DDR WindowsME

Martin

Administrator
Great? Yeah, that's the odd thing. Some people report it as running great, and some says it runs like shit (me included), hence the crappy engine.

Martin

Administrator
Well, that's a question of definition.

Dictionary says:

crap Pronunciation Key (krp) Vulgar Slang
n.
Excrement.
An act of defecating.
Foolish, deceitful, or boastful language.
Cheap or shoddy material.
Miscellaneous or disorganized items; clutter.
Insolent talk or behavior.

Josep

eyerun4phun
haha, ok lets not get to technical, soon Martin will be talking in pig latin and giving us the meaning of life;) j/k

hopefully they will make a few patches for peeps that can't play gta3 that well, same with MORROWIND, DAMN!:) even though it runs fine on mine;)