What's new

glN64 v0.4

OP
Orkin

Orkin

d1R3c764 & g1|\|64 m4|<3R
I found the problem with the refresh rates not being saved. I have mine limited to 120hz through the driver's registry settings, which my monitor supports, so I never noticed it before...sorry about that!

I'm improving the ucode detection so that you should hardly ever get unknown microcode errors (except on microcodes that truly aren't supported).

I'm not sure what the trouble with PJ64 is, I haven't had a single problem with it. Could everyone that's experiencing the PJ64-crashes-on-game-load bug post their video card, drivers, and OS? I'd like to try and narrow down the problem.

I think I'll release a v0.4.1 in a few days as I get some of these bugs fixed.

IceFlow2

I have found that after a while all games lock up after displaying horrible graphical errors.

PJ 64 Crashes when I us your plugin.
Radeon 9700 Pro, catalyst 3.6 whql, Windows XP Pro SP1.

Firebrand_

Lone Crusader of the Wastes
This is a great plugin, but I've noticed some bugs that have appeared in this version that weren't in the last. From what I understand, Dobutsu no Mori isn't exactly a popular title in the emulation scene, so it's understandable that it doesn't get much in the way of support. To help the development process along, here's some basic information and some screenshots to illustrate some of the bugs I've seen come up (PNGs available upon request):

ROM Information:
Dobutsu no Mori (Animal Forest 64)
CRC1: 0xBC8E206D
CRC2: 0x97C35E1C
CIC Chip: CIC-NUS-6102
* Checked out okay with GoodN64

System Specs:
AMD Athlon T-Bird 1.3GHz
nVidia GeForce2 MX 400 64MB AGP 4x
Windows 2000 Professional SP2
nVidia Detonator Drivers v45.23 (WHQL Certified)
Project64 v1.5 SP1
glN64 0.4 / glNintendo64() 0.3.2b

glN64 0.4 settings:
Full Screen Mode:
Bit Depth: 16 bit
Resolution: 640 x 480
Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
Windowed Resolution: 640 x 480
2xSaI texture scaling enabled
Force Bilinear Filtering enabled
Fog enabled
Texture Bit Depth: 32-bit only
Texture Cache Size: 64MB
Hardware Frame Buffer Textures enabled

glNintendo64() 0.3.2b settings:
Full Screen Mode:
Bit Depth: 16 bit
Resolution: 640 x 480
Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
Windowed Resolution: 640 x 480
2xSaI texture scaling enabled
Force Bilinear Filtering enabled
Fog enabled
Force Microcode disabled
Recompile Combine Modes for: GeForce
Texture Cache Size: 64MB

Image 1:
Side-by-side comparison of textured water. Left: glN64 0.4, Right: glN64 0.3.2b.

Image 2:
Main title showing various artifacts as well as polygonal clipping issues. Using glN64 0.4.

Image 3:
This is the effect that occurs when taking a screenshot in PJ64 v1.5 SP1 while using glN64 0.4. With each tick of the status bar, the status bar itself is repeated from bottom to top until the entire window is animated with it. Resetting the emulator doesn't fix the display, but loading a savestate, restarting the emulator app, or terminating the emulation process and beginning a new one will. This does not occur in glN64 0.3.2b (actually, screen-grabbing doesn't work at all in 0.3.2b).

Image 4:
The character/item menu. After hitting 'START,' the emulator pauses (sound/bgm continues normally) for a few seconds, then tries to load the menu. The text is visible only for a split-second before going completely black. This is using glN64 0.4.

Continued... >

Last edited:

Firebrand_

Lone Crusader of the Wastes
Contiued... >

Image 5:
The character/item menu in glN64 0.3.2b. The emulator pauses when loading, as before, and then loads the menu. For a brief moment, one can see fragments of the player character (3D object over menu) exactly where it's supposed to be inside the white area. This "white-out" effect occurs with all 3D objects when overlaying the menus (character/item menu, catalogue menu, mail menu, etc.). The hand cursor (also a 3D object) stays in the corner and doesn't move, though its animated responses to user input do show.

Image 6:
A black/garbled bar that appears above the status bar when using glN64 0.4. I believe this is also related to the issues in Image 3.

Image 7:
Also using glN64 0.4, another garbled bar at the bottom. However, the little "thought bubbles" that display the names of the item you're standing over actually show in glN64 0.4, whereas they did not in 0.3.2b (just the black text appeared).

As someone else noted, I also noticed peculiar v-sync issues in this version with comparison to the last. Aside from this, I'm amazed at the result of your intensive labors on this plugin. I was immensely gratified when I first stumbled upon glNintendo() 0.3.2b, as no other plugin has been able to achieve this level of graphics compatibility with Dobutsu no Mori. Keep up the awesome work, Orkin!

gnearo

I cant even run perfect dark 1964 seems to lock up -_-
and Zelda's graphics are all weird inside shops, they go all yellow and green and blue oh myy.

and pj64 doesnt work

my system is

Win2k pro SP4
Radeon 9700 pro
Catalyst 3.6 (standard ATi drivers)

CKDexterHave

It's crashing for me as well, I haven't been able to get a single game to start up in PJ64 or 1964. I tried turning framebuffer off too but no luck. My computer is AthlonXP 2000, Radeon 9700 pro using cats 3.4, 256 megs ram, running windows 98.

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
IceFlow2 said:

Turn on high-res framebuffer emulation and the problem should be fixed.

Firebrand_ said:
Image 3:
This is the effect that occurs when taking a screenshot in PJ64 v1.5 SP1 while using glN64 0.4. With each tick of the status bar, the status bar itself is repeated from bottom to top until the entire window is animated with it. Resetting the emulator doesn't fix the display, but loading a savestate, restarting the emulator app, or terminating the emulation process and beginning a new one will. This does not occur in glN64 0.3.2b (actually, screen-grabbing doesn't work at all in 0.3.2b).

Already reported, already fixed. :p

CKDexterHave said:
It's crashing for me as well, I haven't been able to get a single game to start up in PJ64 or 1964. I tried turning framebuffer off too but no luck. My computer is AthlonXP 2000, Radeon 9700 pro using cats 3.4, 256 megs ram, running windows 98.

Try updating your video drivers to Catalyst 3.6. Anyway, with such a powerful machine, why not run Windows XP?

Orkin said:
I found the problem with the refresh rates not being saved. I have mine limited to 120hz through the driver's registry settings, which my monitor supports, so I never noticed it before...sorry about that!

What about vsync? It doesn't seem to work for me at all in 0.4, while in 0.3.2b it worked in both fullscreen _and_ windowed mode.

Orkin said:
I'm not sure what the trouble with PJ64 is, I haven't had a single problem with it. Could everyone that's experiencing the PJ64-crashes-on-game-load bug post their video card, drivers, and OS? I'd like to try and narrow down the problem.

ATi All-in-Wonder 9700 Pro, Omega Catalyst 3.6 (not 3.6a) w/ Cat 3.6 capture drivers, Windows XP Pro SP1 Volume Licensing (Corporate) edition, with nothing from Windows Update (except the patch for the RPC DCOM bug) 'cause I don't trust it. :p

Last edited:

dukenukem

lord freiza
I have the same problem as ckdextr i can't get a single game to show then it crashes the emulator.Tryed pj641.5 the plugin crashes after loading rom and in 1964 i get a glide3x.dll error.

Clements

dukenukem said:
I have the same problem as ckdextr i can't get a single game to show then it crashes the emulator.Tryed pj641.5 the plugin crashes after loading rom and in 1964 i get a glide3x.dll error.

Remove Glide64 from your plugin folder and use glN64().

Clements

gnearo said:
No matter what I do, I cant seem to get this to look normal.

I've tried various drivers for my radeon 9700 pro.

http://www.drop-zone.org/KokiriShop.JPG

Help!

If you are using 1964 (I can't tell from the pic) you must enable the RSP plugin in the config for the graphics to show properly in shops. Copy it from PJ64. If you are using PJ or already using the RSP in 1964, then this may be a bug in the plugin that needs to be addressed.

dukenukem

lord freiza
dang it i reinstalled 1964 with out glide 64 and tryed it with gln64.4 and the same happens,black screen of death then complete system crash although now no glide error.

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
Ok. some feedback here regarding Paper Mario:

* Screenshot 1: there's still flickering in the mid-game. This shot is from the yoshis' island, near the volcano entrance. When hardware FBT is selected the flickering occurs less frequently (instead the background covers it all until you stop moving).

* Screenshot 2: In some places (the ones that use the framebuffer to cast shadows upon Mario and the other characters, i guess...) sprites appear with wrong colors. With Rice's plugin they appear black (in the exact same places)

* Screenshot 3 & 4: I don't know if this happen with other other objects, but notice the heart in the semi-transparent box. It is hidden by the rock behind it (that sounded weird...). The rock should stay behind the heart and not backwards, but that's a minor detail...

Oh! And thanx for the awesome plugin!

Last edited:
OP
Orkin

Orkin

d1R3c764 & g1|\|64 m4|<3R
Okay, it looks like there's definately a problem with glN64 and Win9x (crashes on both dukenukem and CKDexterHave), I'll do some testing on a 9x machine to see if I can find the problem...

Moose Jr.

Raging Moose
Bug reports.

Cool plugin :) Really pretty w/Zelda.

Found some bugs, if you're interested.

-- I'm suffering the aforementioned "Can't run really nifty plugin in :pj64:" problem. Won't do a thing besides display the same error:

<I>"Project64.exe has generated errors and will be closed by [@$%^!]Windows. You will need to restart the program.
An error log is being created."</I>

If you wan't, just tell me how to get the error log (don't know beans about Windows.) into a usable format and I'll mail it to you.

(Note: it seems by the posts that just the R9700s have this prob. Dunno.)

-- Mario Kart, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark (I've only tested on a few roms so far.) sieze up (no BSOD, just a program lock) in 1964. The errors generated read generally like this:

<I>"The instruction at "0x1002b056" referenced memory at "0x1f5f0690". The memory could not be 'read'."</I>

-- I can confirm the Zelda triangle prob. Only annoying because it reminds you that you're actually running an emulator and not the real thing. :)

-- Here's a weird one: whenever I select 32bit mode for full screen, and then load a game and switch to full screen, it displays upside down.

If there's any testing I can do to help out, let me know. I'm all ears when someone tells me I can actually use the OpenGL capabilities of my card for emus. :)

Edit: Just some formatting.

Last edited:

Shin_Gouki

:akuma:
as seen below i´m also using Win 98
SO i have tested as i said 1964 and wOW glN64 got to work(also now DX9 and CAT 3.6)!
the strange issue that NO MATTER what i do the config of glN64 isn´t saved realy bothers me :(
plz don´t ignore it
that means if i config 800x600 32 Mb...play a game and then exit the emu. start the emu again all settings are gone plus i never have an option for refresh rate...what may be is connected to my problem--> see post before

May be i have a clue for the PJ64 Bug... if i wanna use glN64 with 1964 i have to set texture size to 32(like my gfx card) if i don´t do this (default=1 ) and start , regardless of what game i select the emu minimizes just like in PJ 64
so IMO its something that the emu doesn´t get clearly the setting of th plugin

:1964:

-> Super Mario 64 runs smoothly
but there is a diffrence to version 0.3.2b
if you oick up the blue cap mario turns kinda transparent but the nice effect from 0.3.2b isn´t reached (it lokked like the transparence was bubbling around Mario pretty much similar to the orginal on N64)
i hope to return this cool effect!!
Also if you now go to enter the castle the arch above the princess glass picture O_O i´ve never noticed it but now it look cool!

->Mario Kart 64 O_O great!
but also encounterd two problems:
if you use a ghost the shadow of the Kart remains ^^ look funny but i think on orginal N64 it wasn´t like that. It would be nice if some checks this out.
The other problem is if i enable "force filtering" "2xSai" "Fog enabled"
i can start the game, but when the race starts shortly (even not at the same time) the emu crashes

->Zelda OOT
O_O this looks just soo great the incredible smooth shading O_O of everything simply amazing.
runs ok for me altough if the frame buffer emulation is enabled it runs quite slow ..but this is surely my 32 MB Radeon ;)

-> Perfect Dark
WOW looks great and works for me with 1964(i didnßt get the mempak to work but thats i emu issue i suppose ;) )
I´ll post a screentshot later , my new desktop bg :D

->evangelion
the gaps in the start up Letters are big...
in game ..transparency is cool, but some backgrounds are missing
but it runs!! ;)

wbr Shin Gouki

Last edited: