What's new

Glide64 WIP status update :)

milen

Hardware FrameBuffer is buffer in the videocard's memory usually used to store textures, but you can store other things too. Glide as lower level API than ogl,dx have simplier and faster access.

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
milen said:
Hardware FrameBuffer is buffer in the videocard's memory usually used to store textures, but you can store other things too..
No, frame buffer can store displayed frames only.

milen said:
Glide as lower level API than ogl,dx have simplier and faster access.
Actually, Glide API is on the same level as OpenGL, only it's more convenient :)
Most of glide functions have direct analogs in OpenGL.

milen

But isn't Glide faster beacuse it is made for 3dfx cards and so it uses there capabilities to the max and is optimized for them.
On other side Opengl is more general library and some of it functions are made by ATI,NVIDIA... partialy in software, because they haven't direct hardware analogue or the implementation is different so there is need for another layer between hardware and API.
Direct3D is object oriented and have some different ideologies. But it has two modes low and highlevel(whole scene). But in fact Direct3D have big advatange it can use all those functions in Windows for fast access that none Microsoft programers even don't know that exist. And again it's more generic API than GLIDE

Which is better :p . Look at Glide64 , there's no need for words :happy:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Gonetz said:
Sure, it is planned to do. I did few steps in this direction. However, currently I have no personal motivation to do this job, so it has lowest priority.
Well, that is news to me, but certainly good ones.

Powerlord

Evil Emperor
milen said:
Which is better :p . Look at Glide64 , there's no need for words :happy:

Yes there is. I have 7 for you:
No new cards support the Glide API.

Which means, for the majority of people, you need a Glide emulator to convert Glide instructions to something else. As a general rule, this means that OpenGL and Direct3D are faster and more accurate on those cards.

As for comparisons, Direct64 (Direct3D plugin, iirc) is an excellent plugin, too... if you have a card that supports Pixel Shaders. It'd be more excellent if Orkin would come back and fix some of the bugs that plague the latest releases of it, but that will happen in time.

Last edited:

Knuckles

Soon, Glide64 will the without any doubt the perfect video plugin for N64 :D Can't wait to see what's next ! Amazing work Gonetz, too bad I can't test/use your plugin anymore :(

gokuss4

Meh...
Yeah, it's too bad that I can't either. I remember, I was the first beta tester for Glide64 around when Dave2001 started the project. The plugin has came a LONG LONG way since then.. for 2 years it has been developed. I'm completely impressed with it, even through a glide wrapper, it's still badass. I'd like to thank Gonetz for the awesome work he's put in Glide64, and as well as Dave2001 - original author, and also Gugaman who also participated shortly after Dave called it quits.

Well nowadays I'm not as interested in N64 emulation or much of emulation, but I still might open up PJ64 1.5 and play a little bit of Zelda OOT. But now I'm just interested in playing PC games and learning languages :p. I have a much faster PC now, so I can play some badass comp games.. anyways, thank you Dave, Gugaman, Gonetz, and the other beta testers for all the hard work you put into Glide64 to make one fuckin badass plugin! :D

Reznor007

Gonetz said:
No, frame buffer can store displayed frames only.

Actually, Glide API is on the same level as OpenGL, only it's more convenient :)
Most of glide functions have direct analogs in OpenGL.

Actually Glide is missing many things that OpenGL has. Not even Voodoo5 is fully OpenGL 1.2 compliant(it's missing required texture blends), and OpenGL is currently at version 2.0.

Of course, OpenGL can do everything Glide can.

And technically, while you can't use the framebuffer for storage, you can use video RAM as storage(render to texture, fragment shader data, etc). I've seen a version of Frogger that runs entirely in D3D9 pixel shader 2.0

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
I should correct myself. Glide API is almost on the same level as OpenGL in terms of abstracting of real hardware. Most of glide functions have direct analogs in OpenGL. However, Glide API contains only those functions, which are directly supported by 3dfx hardware. You may work with OpenGL the same way as with Glide, but not vice-versa. For example, OpenGL can do transformations and clipping for you, with Glide you have to do it yourself. Nevertheless, I do not feel myself limited by API. Everything I want to do I can do with Glide. Moreover, some magic tricks, which I can do with my Voodoo5 are still not supported by DirectX plugins. But this does not mean that Glide is the best API, and Glide64 is the best video plugin because it is powered by Glide. Glide64 is so good because Dave, Gugaman and me put a lot of efforts into it. I’m pretty sure that Orkin’s Direct64 would be the best plugin if Orkin had enough time to work on it.

Last edited:

milen

Yes there is. I have 7 for you:

Use what you want. I spoke for API's in general. And something else : if the new cards had glide they wolud cost more, because of driver develpoment cost. Nvidia,Ati... don't care for anything else than money and it's normal as 99% of other companies. Glide64 is sure good plugin thanks to Gontez,Dave2001,Gugamen. But other plugins aren't developed for smaller amount of time, and Jabo,Orkin,Rice aren't in any way bad programers.

Merrick

Is there anything else worth using other than Project64? Bear in mind my Voodoo5 system is only 1 GHz with DX7 (I refuse to put a newer version on it).

desertboy

Xbox N64 Emulation Fanatic
Merrick said:
Is there anything else worth using other than Project64? Bear in mind my Voodoo5 system is only 1 GHz with DX7 (I refuse to put a newer version on it).

That I can't answer for you but I get faster speeds out of 1964 on my low end machine P3 700mhz and most games work fine with no frame drop.

Goldeneye and PD though crawl on it.

dragon_rider

私は竜が好き&#
That...looks...AWESOME! I can't wait! Man, I've never seen a plugin emulate that the N64's graphics so accurately. Would it work with okay with Hacktarux's Glide Wrapper, or not?

Last edited:

olivieryuyu

dragon_rider said:
That...looks...AWESOME! I can't wait! Man, I've never seen a plugin emulate that the N64's graphics so accurately. Would it work with okay with Hacktarux's Glide Wrapper, or not?

it will work ok :)

Facker

When will be available the Glide64 plugin for donwload??
Cuando va a estar disponible para bajar el plugin Glide64??
Es decir que a partir de la salida de este plugin se va a poder jugar al Resident Evil???

OP
ggab

ggab

Emutalk Member
@Facker

time to time.......

u can try it with Rice's one (i dunno if with v6.0.0c, it's fully playable...)

Facker

The only emulator i can use is the UltraHLE (i have the last hacked version, a don't remember the name of the new team...)and the Glide64 plugin is the best i can use...because the others are very slow...nevermind
I saw the picture of the I.S.S.64 on this page... with the new version of glide 64 this game can be played????? because with the older version this game works very "broken"