What's new

Fixing Scratched CD's

aibrubusfosusej

Yes that's my shoulder
Hey guys, how do you fix your scratched cd's?:bouncy: i try everything and sometimes get lucky, but in the long run nothing has worked for me so far...
And DON'T SAY "Buy a new one". Get real:plain:

revl8er

That Damn Good
It depends on what kind of cd's, i've had luck with psx games using the game doctor or using cotton and alcohol. Didn't have much luck with ps2 games using game doctor though.

OP
aibrubusfosusej

aibrubusfosusej

Yes that's my shoulder
Yeah, well then, I'm mostly having xbox problems
PS: Worst Case Scenario, my siblings are like wrecking balls lol:bouncy:

EDIT: Well, I guess it doesn't show up very well, but still...

Jakob

evil *******
radial scratches are bad, but still fixable

FYI, the worst case scenario is if they scratch the top of the disc

OP
aibrubusfosusej

aibrubusfosusej

Yes that's my shoulder
Jakob said:
FYI, the worst case scenario is if they scratch the top of the disc

That's beyond repair, and that wouldn't really be related to fixing cds...
(if you wanna get technical)

Eagle

aka Alshain
Believe it or not, you can actually use toothpaste in a last resort effort. Apply the toothpaste to the cd by rubbing it with a washcloth firmly moving from the core to the outter rim. NEVER RUB IN A CIRCULAR PATTERN AROUND THE CORE. Always push from the inner core to the outer rim, then lift the cloth and move back to the core and continue around the CD. Rinse well when finished. The abbrasive in the toothpaste smooths over any scratches that might rotate around the core. It will cause some scratching going out from the core but the usually do not damage the playability of the CD. Never do this to a rental, the rental company has their own method, just take it back for a refund.

blizz

There was some silver based compound you could buy that has the same reflective index as the protective layer. My friends SSX disc was scratched to buggery but after a lot of elbow grease (using Eagle's technique and the sachet of stuff he bought) the disc worked again.

Nin_10_Dough

Mystic Gohan said:
It depends on what kind of cd's, i've had luck with psx games using the game doctor or using cotton and alcohol. Didn't have much luck with ps2 games using game doctor though.

Indeed, those things work wonders. I've fixed ps2 games with it. Games have gone from completely unplayable to working flawlessly. I've heard of the tooth paste technique, but this has almost always solved my problems. This does use abrasion in a radial fashion to rebuff the surface of the disk, removing a thin layer of plastic to make the disk surface scratch free. It can't do much with really deep scratches though. I recommend one to anyone who doesn't have one. They have motorized ones, and there is a tray adaptor so it can fix mini-sized disks (cube).

bodie

I have had loads of unplayable and badly scratched gamecube and xbox discs fixed here.
Toothpaste does have it's limitations, like a blow up doll with a puncture.......Sure you'll get chance to play for a bit, but you'll never get to finish off :p
Regards Bodie

Last edited:
OP
aibrubusfosusej

aibrubusfosusej

Yes that's my shoulder
I've tried toothpaste many time, but it sux when i try, maybe i should try the creamy kind:happy: and i can't afford a disk repair kit, but i've read somewhere that you can lower it into boiling water for a minute and it melts into the gaps, although that sounds like death to disks to me, maybe it's a good idea?

Nin_10_Dough

aibrubusfosusej said:
i've read somewhere that you can lower it into boiling water for a minute and it melts into the gaps, although that sounds like death to disks to me, maybe it's a good idea?

That sounds like it could possibly separate the different layers of the disk, so disk death is what I'd consider it too.

Eagle

aka Alshain
I should have mentioned for the toothpaste you have to use the strictly white paste type, the gel type like Crest doesn't work.

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
It's funny how some discs can be scratched to hell and still work properly and other discs can have a single scratch and not work at all... it reminds me of my FF7 cd back in the day... I literally had it taped to my playstation because the bearings on the spinner had broken off, so here i had a disc whose bottom looked like sandpaper and a top that looked like something out of 'ducttape adventures' or something. Over 100 hours i logged on to that game (the timer stops at 99:99). In contrast, i dropped my Soul Calibur (dreamcast) cd once, it recived a single scratch, and now it only works when it wants to.

OP
aibrubusfosusej

aibrubusfosusej

Yes that's my shoulder
Eagle said:
I should have mentioned for the toothpaste you have to use the strictly white paste type, the gel type like Crest doesn't work.
Ooh, yes that indeed helps, i'll try that.

EDIT: Well, that doesn't work either...
There's got to be some real good way to do it without risks
(and non-costly)

Last edited:

aprentice

aibrubusfosusej said:
I would really appreciate any more tips anyone has before this thread just dies...

your only solution is shaving a layer off the bottom, if you can't do that then theres no other real solution left