What's new

Desperate to fix Goldeneye graphical problems...

namkcuR

Specs: 1.6Ghz processor, Radeon 7600 video card, running Windows XP Pro, 512MB RAM on a Gateway laptop.

So, here's the Goldeneye dilemma. I have multiple versions of Rice(5.5, 6, 6.1), Jabo(6, 8), and Glide64.

The problem shows itself best in the 'Surface' levels.

With Rice, the sky DOES show up, but the trees are all screwed up...instead of trees, it's like a giant metallic wall on either side of me.

With Jabo, the sky does NOT show up and the trees are screwed up as before.

With Glide, the sky does NOT show up but the trees finally DO show up correctly.

Also, as an aside, for some reason the game runs slow with Rice, but at acceptable speed with Jabo and Glide.

What is the problem here? I'm just looking for a configuration that will make both the sky AND the trees show up correctly. I know it can be done because I've seen multiple screenshots of it over at goldeneyeforever.com.

I'm desperate. I've been trying to figure this out for months.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Golden Eye issues

• core
    • needs a fast system to run at full speed
    • some pausing may occur e.g. while switching weapons **
  • video
    • missing sky - often shows artifacts
    • fog incorrect
    • Radeon R200 core video cards (e.g. Radeon 8500 or 9200, not 9500+) have possible Full Scene Anti-Aliasing/internal geometry pipeline issue at some resolutions:

Iconoclast

You need to screw around with the Rice's Video Plugin configuration settings to fix the trees. My period of configuring this plugin for all the games may have come to an end...do tell me if you find the setting from under the Current Game Options tab that fixes the trees.

As for the speed, see if Rice's Video Plugin works on the 1964 emulator, the fastest decent core emulator for the N64.

OP
N

namkcuR

Iconoclast

I fiddled with with Rice Video Plugin settings, and I got the trees to show up correctly by, I think, unchecking and then rechecking the 'normal combiner' option in the 'Current Game Options' tab....however, all is not well. When I do that, the trees show up, but then various structures within the levels become transparent....specifcially, in this level(Surface), the satellite dish building...the satellite dish itself shows up, but the building it is on is transparent, even when you are standing right next to it, almost as if it wasn't even there.

Any advice?

Datadayne

When I downloaded goldeneye, my spysweeper detected a level 5 (highest it can go up to) spyware. Does anyone have this problem. I want to download it again but dont want to take the risk.

Xtreme2damax

You probably got it from a shady website. if the file is not in .n64, .z64, .rom and other formats it's likely not a Rom.

If it's a shady site, they might of purposely hacked/packed the Rom with a Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware.

Also if the file you got is in a .exe format it is definitely not a Rom.

That's why it's a lot better to extract them yourself off of your own media, so you know what you are getting. Or just obtain it from a more reputable source.

To the Admins or Mods, I hope I didn't break any rules by what I typed in my post. If I did I will kindly edit my post at your request, or you may do so if needed;)

Xtreme2damax

Your Welcome. I also forgot to add that it may be a false positive, but I don't see it as possible because none of my roms have ever been flagged as malware.

Btw what was the extension on the goldeneye rom, and what antivirus is flagging it as Spyware?

I also notice that some shady rom sites embed malware in their webpage or they force you to use their download utility which is riddled with malware Usually Spyware or Trojans.

Again to the Mods, I hope I didn't break a rule by stating this;)

Datadayne

Ok, heres the story...
Downloaded goldeneye few days ago. Booted up the rom and started playing. Then I kept the game running while I checked the dumped textures. While checking the textures, my spyware protection (webroot spy protection) notified me that it has just quarintied a spyware. When I checked my quarintins, there it was, in caps it said "GOLDENEYE". I deleted it from my computer and also deleted the rom.

thx again

Xtreme2damax

I can't really explain anything further as I haven't ran into such a problem myself. I'm sure you may not of been the only one to experience such a problem.

If anyone else knows I'm sure they might be able to explain it to you when they see your post.

Maybe there is something in the rom itself, that the Anti-Virus/Spyware was able to pick up on once you were checking/extracting textures from the rom or whatever it was you were doing.

It might be something to be concerned about, then again it might of been a false positive by your Anti-Spyware because of a certain technique that might of been used when the game was being developed.

However I'm not sure, so I'll leave it up to someone else to help or explain it;)

OP
N

namkcuR

It's rude when people decide to start their own topics inside another person's thread. You derail the thread and take attention of somebody's as-yet-unsolved problem.

smcd

False positives do happen where an innocent file can be flagged as bad. You might try adjusting heuristics and/or file types to scan. Most users run with something along the lines of "only scan executable formats and archives"

Iconoclast

It's not the ROM. Why does half of everybody do that...whenever there is a graphics or core emulation issue, blame it on the ROM's condition or what website it was downloaded from?

The file extension also does not matter. It could be .z64 (Big Endian), .v64 (Byteswapped), or .*64 (usually .n64, Little Endian). It could also be .rom, if the webmaster is lazy, or a three-letter extension regarding the country the ROM is for. The only thing file extensions have to do with the ROM is it merely marks the formatting and how fast it loads in any given emulator for the console, as well as the country version.

It's the graphics plugin, and it sounds like a texture issue, namely, since normal color combiner fixes the issue. You could probably fix it by loading substitution textures.

chiklit

It's not the ROM. Why does half of everybody do that...whenever there is a graphics or core emulation issue, blame it on the ROM's condition or what website it was downloaded from?

The file extension also does not matter. It could be .z64 (Big Endian), .v64 (Byteswapped), or .*64 (usually .n64, Little Endian). It could also be .rom, if the webmaster is lazy, or a three-letter extension regarding the country the ROM is for. The only thing file extensions have to do with the ROM is it merely marks the formatting and how fast it loads in any given emulator for the console, as well as the country version.

It's the graphics plugin, and it sounds like a texture issue, namely, since normal color combiner fixes the issue. You could probably fix it by loading substitution textures.

The reason half of everybody does that is because they're talking about two different problems. Datadayne had a problem with his spyware program saying his rom was spyware (which should've been in a separate thread). While namkcuR was the one with the texture/graphics plugin problem. :)

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Later versions of Rice's video plugin is broken. You're required to use 5.5.0b2!

The trees never get rendered properly in other versions.

Pixel Shader 1x is required!

Now, if you have 5.5.0b2, enable the Pixel Shader combiner.

It must *not* be "Semi Pixel Shader". (or similar)

Now the trees shall look fine in the first Severnaya level.