What's new

Daedalus PSP

crispy13

i read somewere tht all the buttons on the controller werent accounted for on the psp i have a cool i idea
use x circle square and triangle as the c buttons
and hold L+x and L+circle for a and b
R for the z button on the n64
and have both the d-pad and analog stick
thts what feels best in my opinion

crispy13

im too used to the c-pad on the right side besides it would get tough to use the analog stick and the d-pad
i 4got about the r & l buttons
but the l and the z button are like the same depending on how u held the controler so i dont think it would effect the gameplay if u had l and z as the same button

correct me if im wrong on tht though

so for the r button hold L+R

Last edited:

ChronicleX

Aka PS2MAN
I did Inform him of the D-pad being useless and to map the C-Buttons to them by default awhile back In an email, and to set Z to L-trig. (and if ya reading this mate, Its PS2MAN ere :bouncy: ). His response was pre-set configurations for each game as they start working, witch seems like a good idea.

Although I was wondering, using kernal mode wouldnt it be possible to get this emulator working better on the PSP if you did a bit of study into ISO emulation on the PSP. Maybe the coding for ISO emulation on PSP might help get emulation to handle larger files correctly. I know near 0 of coding on the PSP so this is just a self theory, but Hopefully its helped.

ZFB8

Delirium Trigger
Well, I just got back from playing level 1 on Super Mario 64 on it (Yes, the ENTIRE level, well, the first star anyway.) It took me about 30 minutes from the time I booted up the ROM to when I got the star. Quite simply, I was impressed.

One thing that struck me as odd is that when I first started the game, everything looked absolutely right except for Mario. As I got further into the game though, textures got more and more screwed up. For example, as soon as you go into the first painting, everything is white (well, almost everything). I began to think that the textures started to look worse, but I payed no heed. After a few minutes, the sky had smilies, and mario had signs as a face. Well, after I fought the first boss (you could only tell it was him because you could see the crown and mustache), and it took me back to the castle, EVERYTHING was screwed up. The ground had grass, the walls had letters and numbers and faces, and when I went outside it was even worse. you could still tell what everything was, only the textures were screwed up.

I would have taken screenshots, but whenever I enter debug mode and press square, it says that a screenshot will be taken upon next resume, and then it freezes up, and I have to restart my PSP. If anyone can help me figure that out, I will gladly take screens.

I wasn't sure if you were aware of this or not, although you probably were.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your efforts, I look forward to seeing what you and PSmonkey both have in store for us in the future.

hamburglar

Awesome work, playing Mario 64 has just justified my purchase of the PSP! I got the Beyond Chain Chomp's Gate star, then I got the Peach's secret slide star for finishing in under 21 seconds, but as I picked it up the game crashed.

Quvack

Lol this is a double suprise! Didn't expect to see you around StrmnNrmn, let alone releasing this :) From what I've seen it looks great, I'll have to track down GTA so I can give this a try!

Haven't seen you since the days when I used to test Daedalus for ya =P yeaarrsss ago now =P welcome back!

redking15ca

Good

Pretty good, i think mario is currently unplayable, but if you could get zelda working as good as mario then i'd probably think it was...

Good job, more instant results compared to M64, but in the end M64 will most likely be faster...

Just incase you even think about small people, im RedKing14CA from DCemu Forums!

OP
S

StrmnNrmn

Quvack said:
Lol this is a double suprise! Didn't expect to see you around StrmnNrmn, let alone releasing this :) From what I've seen it looks great, I'll have to track down GTA so I can give this a try!

Haven't seen you since the days when I used to test Daedalus for ya =P yeaarrsss ago now =P welcome back!

Hey Quvack! Long time no speak! Hope you are doing well - it's good to hear from you :)

OP
S

StrmnNrmn

ZFB8 said:
I would have taken screenshots, but whenever I enter debug mode and press square, it says that a screenshot will be taken upon next resume, and then it freezes up, and I have to restart my PSP. If anyone can help me figure that out, I will gladly take screens.

Hiya - thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure why there are problems with taking screenshots - I know other people have been taking them successfully. What firmware are you using? Have you tried taking screenshots with R2?

As for the white textures etc, that's a symptom of the PSP running out of memory (either that, or I'm fragmenting the video memory, I've not figured out which yet). Mario always looks a little screwed up - that's because I've not quite figured out how to map the blend mode nicely for him yet :)

ShadowsRayne

Off beat idea from a complete controler

I know some of the programmers (many games ex: Quake 2) are using the white attachment that Sony uses as a mp3 playback help attachment for the extended devices controls. With that you could have all the buttons on the N64 controller on the PSP... That way no one has to worry about having some buttons, and not having others... some games use all.. some don't.

$n!pR

One thing I've noticed is that it takes longer to load roms with Daedalus than it does M64. Are you doing anything differently to load roms, and if so I'd like to know cause its kinda wierd for it to take longer...

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Probably because Daedalus has more of the N64 emulated, and thus it is doing more which takes time :p

OP
S

StrmnNrmn

R3 released

Hi folks,

I've just uploaded the source/binaries for R3 to sourceforge:

Daedalus PSP R3 (v1.00/2.00+ firmware)
Daedalus PSP R3 (v1.50 firmware)

The source for this release is also available.

Here's the update list:

Code:
[+] Added support for streaming in large roms on demand.
[+] Various combiner (graphics) fixes.
[!] Fixed 120K wasted memory.
[~] Minor cosmetic (debug output) tweaks.
[~] Stopped debug output obscuring screenshots.

The first change is a huge deal :) Basically it means that Daedalus PSP can now boot large roms (i.e. those larger than 8MB). That doesn't mean to say that it will be able to run them, but there are certainly now significantly more roms which the emulator can boot. Here's a screenshot of the opening logo for Zelda, OoT:

And here's Banjo Kazooie:

Sadly neither of these get much further for me :(

Thanks to everyone who's been dropping me emails - I've been kind of deluged so it's been difficult for me to get through them (especially when I've been trying to fix bugs at the same time :) ) Apologies if you've emailed me and I've not got back to you.

Cheers,
StrmnNrmn

Miretank

Lurking
Oh my God, AWESOME!!! :D
I don't have a PSP, but man, that's an evolution on the N64 emu scene! PLease keep it up!

crispy13

yeah

well i think we all apreciate the work you have done man and hopefully psmonkey can use your work to make an even greater n64 emu
good job man