What's new

corn problems

hi,

i've some questions about corn.
Q1 why runs a simple game like mario64 in corn VERY slow at a
pentium| 150 mhz processor
s3 virge rev G 2mb chipset
while ALL OTHER PROGRAMS ARE EXITED INCLUDING EXPLORER???????
Q2 and why crashes zelda oot while playing the movie, smiff.clara.net says
it is supported by corn?

sorry for the bad english

thx

OP
timmyhawky
i forgot something about question1: i've tried the lowest resolution and it isn't yet fast enough.

Emu&Co

Fuggin Retro Fan
Corn was the fastest Emulator ever, but 150 MHz is slow as hell. I used Corn years ago on a PII 350 MHz. It worked fine. Corn emulates the N64 Components on a extremely high level. It emulates, what is REALLY needed to be emulated. The rest was done other, faster ways. Several Emlators tried this: UltraHLE and Corn were the most famous in that time. That way of emulating a game is fast, but incompatible. Corn was made for running Mario64 as fast as possible, so all other games, that run are not supported officially. SOme guys made modded INI Files that try to add extra Support for addidional games, but it didn't help very much. If you want a more stable Corn, DON'T use Version 0.3-. It was a leaked beta full of bugs. Because of this leak ContraSF stopped working on this intersting Project. Use 0.29.

Allnatural

Corn should be treated as a history lesson, nothing more. To see how far we've come.

timmyhawky-
With those specs I would give up on N64 emulation. It's just not gonna work well (if at all).

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
With a video card with enough speed (and correct drivers) Corn CAN run fullspeed (or close to it) on a Pentium at 150MHz... That's without sound of course... I personally did such a thing. :)

OP
timmyhawky
do u mean my video card is too bad and i better buy a voodoo card to get better speed so i can play mario 64?
i've tried all and too to put off the sound but still...
the fastest computer in our home is good for pj64.(1ghz tnt2 32mb)
but when we got some spyware by downloading games:
my dad had said i may NEVER AGAIN emulators etc.
when i had get my computer(that one where are corn problems) i had disconected the other computer from the network so i can download emu's.
so pleeeeeeaaaaaase help me i've did all to get it faster but it is not enough
psyman you'd said 150mhz is so good as enough so please say how to get it
:cry:

Last edited:

Emu&Co

Fuggin Retro Fan
A Voodoo2 will help + Overclock your CPU to 166MHz. You'll need ANY Hertz you can get.

Emu&Co

Fuggin Retro Fan
Depends on your Board. I think you have DIP Switches on your Board. Tell me the name and I will help ya. BTW. The CPU will get a bit hotter by doing this. Please check if theres a fan on your CPU. Some old Boards are passive cooled and cooling needs to be "upgraded". Perhaps your Board supports MMX CPUs. If yes I could offer you one. They are much faster.

OP
timmyhawky
sorry but i don't understand really what you say(my english isn't good)
i don't know where i can read the name of the dip switches.
i kwow mmx is a processor technology or so, but in the front of my pc is a sticker PENTIUM processor but no mmx.
so please use not too hard to understand words.(if possible in dutch)
thx

Emu&Co

Fuggin Retro Fan
Yes you're right. MMX is a Technology used in newer Pentiums. Perhaps your Board supports MMX. It would be a great Performance boost. For finding out how to set the DIP Switches or if it supports MMX, I need the Name of your Motherboard. If you don't know it, download "SISoft Sandra". It will tell you everything about your PC. The Name of Motherboard is shown by clicking on "Motherboard" in Program. Sorry, but I can't help with dutch. I could write in German, if you want.

OP
timmyhawky
here it is:
intel 82437vx430vx system controller rev1
i hope it helps: it took over an hour to get this

Emu&Co

Fuggin Retro Fan
OK, this is a very good start. This is your Chipset on your Mainboard and it's a very fast and good one with MMX Support (10 Years in the Past :D ). Can you see a company name, like "Packard Bell" or "Gigabyte" or something else on your Mainboard? Or do you have a Original Manual? A Lot of Companies added this Chipset to their Mainboards and all are different, so that alone doesn't help with the DIP-Switches.

OP
timmyhawky
my pc is a compaq model = presario and i'm not sure if this is a company
it is written in big letters on the front of my pc

Emu&Co

Fuggin Retro Fan
I found a bunch of Manuals for Boards with your Chipset.
http://www.tyan.com/support/html/manuals_2.html

Important are the PDFs found under: "Intel® 430VX Chipset". (The one before the last)
Check which of those 4 Manuals could be your Board. There are pics in them so you can check easily.

BTW: You have Jumpers, no DIP Switches.

Emu&Co

Fuggin Retro Fan
Nope, sorry. The only way to overclock is: Check the Jumpers on your Board in the places mentioned In the four Manuals. If you find the Jumpers and they match the settings for a 150 MHz Pentium in the Manuals. (Jumpers on 3-4, On, On) If so, change The first one from 3-4 to 1-2. After that the CPU should run 16MHz faster. Write down the Standard settings. If something goes wrong you can set it back to 150 MHz.