What's new

Contest - public poll

Which was your favorite piece of emulation writing? Vote now!

• [url=http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?threadid=15142]How soon is too soon?[/url]

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • [url=http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?threadid=15109]Dreamcast Review : The Last Blade 2[/url]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [url=http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?threadid=15159]How Emulation Has Made Retrogaming Popular

• [url=http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?threadid=15081]How to Customize your n64 emulator[/url]

• [url=http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?threadid=15080]The Joy of the Word "Community"[/url]

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • [url=http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?threadid=15105]My Life with Emulation[/url]

• [url=http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?threadid=15212]The Khan Artist's Ultimate Project 64 Guid

• [url=http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?threadid=15208]Emulation, the wonder of discovery[/url]

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

halo

Martin said:
I wrote the rules, I allowed moderators to enter. Noone else. The moderators didn't write the rules. OK? Don't go make things up.

I didn't intentionally make things up. I apologise.

Furthermore, I have no clue why you would think it's a popularity contest, it's up to each and everyone one of you to vote for your favourite writing. If Trotterwatch wasn't in the lead I bet you wouldn't complain. I prevented people with less than 15 posts to enter to stop people to just get a load of friends to sign up and vote for their work. If it makes you feel any better, I'll post the results of who voted for who when the poll is closed. The contest is far from over, it's only been one day.

If you have a problem with this system, consult me through a private message, I don't want to see flames and conspiracy theories in this thread.

Oh, and I don't have a problem with Trotterwatch winning, for the record.

If I have a problem with this voting system this seems to be the best place to post it - an open place for open discussion. If people rubbish me, so be it but I'd rather it be in an open forum.

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
Having your friends sign up and just vote for you is not a good way of winning. That is why new people are not allowed to vote in this poll. The result is based on the persons writing ability and not how many people like that person. Remember this is a writing contest not a game of who has more friends.

OP
Martin

Martin

Administrator
halo said:
I'm not insulting your piece specifically, I'm insulting the whole voting system. Surely there is a better, impartial way of doing it that won't give long-time posters on this board an advantage?

You consider a person with 15 posts a long-time poster? Post once a day and you'll be able to vote for your own work before the poll closes. As for friends at the board, in what way would it be different by creating a poll on the main site? Must be registered plus IP checks are far more secure than just allow one vote per IP. I don't trust people enough to let them play with proxy votings on a hotscripts poll, and already one person has been caught cheating. Catch my drift?

emuguy said:
i think the point is that, ppl may think u are giving away the prize and taking it back.... or so it seems

Why the h*ll does it seem that way? I've had it with the insults. We're giving away aprox. $200 worth of prizes (quick estimate) and all you people do is complain.

The contest prizes are shipping directly from our sponsors, check with www.jandaman.com and www.retrowarez.com if you're in doubt.

mrfcrougar

Holy hell! Can this thing get any more political! Madness I tell you! Madness I tell you!

Right, lets start at the start: I am certian (also) that there is a correlation between the number of posts and the score that the people are recieving, however, I believe that it is not an artifact of popularity.

Whenever I get up to do a gig somewhere, I need to consider the audience I am talking to - somepeople like certian jokes over others. Humor is highly variable, and even though my friends thought that my entry was "Bl**dy funny" other people with different types of humor will not agree.

In saying that, we need to keep in mind that the ones who have been involved with this forum for a long period of time will be more atune to what people like to hear or see, and also be more likely to "hit the nail on the head" with their entry.

Stats: I haven't done an analysis on the significance of anything, but there are a few things to keep in mind (after doing this for 2 years at uni). The voting system is currently open, that way, people will be more inclined to vote for that which appears to be better - often they won't read the poorly ranked posts (as with nearly anything on the market: think - if you heard that a game had a crap review - would you buy it?). This is easily solved: you can't view stats until you have voted.
Suppose post entries were renamed, and not viewed by anyone before entry (without the name of the submitter) it would give a totally unbiased view as to which one a person votes for.

Different IP's should be used for each vote: however, in saying that, if any of my friends were to try and support me, 4 only use the Uni computers, 3 use one computer at a mates place (2.5 gig, 600 MB ram, ADSL - wounder why?) and a further 2 use the same internet cafe. Only about 5 of us have our own machine. I don't know if you can tell public links from private links? Suppose someone was to go to a cafe and vote for themselves, they would clock up nearly $30, which is nearly the price of a second hand N64 anyway.

In short: this is probably going to be blown totally out of the water when one person whitewashes the competition. No one likes to lose, however, no one will lose. I don't intend to sell anything I get - it is called a "Souvanair".

But still, it is fun to have a good scrap.

:jason: Fredric J Crougar
"Sleep Tight"

katon

What's the deal with cornnuts?
it doesn't matter
its just a contest
we are to have fun
and martin is nice enough to give us all prizes
he DOES NOT have to do this for us
he could easily not hold any contests at all
ultimately, even though we have somewhat of a sense of who's gonna win, we should be thankful

btw, statistics never fail, about 14% of all people know that =)

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
You guys are taking this WAY too seriously. No wonder Martin is apprehensive about future contests.

Anyway, Martin, if you do ever have another contest, I'll donate something.

halo said:
There is one persons piece that, having read all of them, IMO shouldn't be in the top 5 based on its own merits. I'm not sure whether to believe its down to people having opinions differing from mine or the whole "friends on the board" thing.

Care to say who that is? :p

Seriously, though, if it happens to be me, I'd like to know what you think is wrong with my entry. I happen to (generally) like constructive criticism.

----------------

Last edited:

joel_029

Lead Guitarist
LOL. sorry, me don't pay too much attention. Open mouth, insert foot. I guess people will only understand this if they read my original post. Thanks for the clarification Trotter.

May the best man win.

Kahenraz

Hahahah! If this was golf I'd be tied for first!! But wait.. it's not.

Well, I thought my entry was really cool and this has been great fun. I have an excellent plan for my next outrangeously odd entry.

Hey Martin, count me in for donating for the next contest too. :D

-Totter,
I don't have an n64 of my own and I remember you posting somewhere that you were going to post it on ebay. I'd be willing to buy it off of you if you win the contest. That way, whatever pieces I can get off of you will be shiped to me and we can save on shipping costs all around. Send me a PM if you're interested.

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
halo said:
As I expected it seems to be more a popularity contest than a writing contest...

First Place: Trotterwatch with 1,305 posts (Mod)
Second Place: The Khan Artist with 538 posts
Third Place: apexad with 83 posts (Mod)
Fourth Place: katon with 46 posts
Fifth Place: Kahenraz with 177 posts

Notice a pattern? I do...
Hm, I'm a staff member, probably have more authorities than all of the mods that have sumbitted articles to the contest, I also have twice the number of posts of The Khan Artist, and yet only one person voted for my article (you mah nigga Remote! :D ). So, no, I don't see a pattern.

Trotterwatch

-Totter,
I don't have an n64 of my own and I remember you posting somewhere that you were going to post it on ebay. I'd be willing to buy it off of you if you win the contest. That way, whatever pieces I can get off of you will be shiped to me and we can save on shipping costs all around. Send me a PM if you're interested.

I think you are getting me confused with The Khan Artist :) I have never stated that I am going to sell anything on Ebay :( sorry about that matey.

Anyways I don't want to jinx myself by talking about me winning just yet!

katon

What's the deal with cornnuts?
halo said:
There is one persons piece that, having read all of them, IMO shouldn't be in the top 5 based on its own merits. I'm not sure whether to believe its down to people having opinions differing from mine or the whole "friends on the board" thing.

i believe its my piece
at least dont hurt my feelings :bye3:
its an article that's different in its own way

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Trotterwatch said:
I think you are getting me confused with The Khan Artist :) I have never stated that I am going to sell anything on Ebay :( sorry about that matey.

Yeah, I was the one who said I'd sell stuff on eBay... but I said it would be anything but first prize. I could actually use first prize. I don't have a TV, but I do have an All-in-Wonder 9700 Pro.

aprentice

I think martin should spend more time thinking of better contest ideas next time, this one didnt seem to go very well :p

Kahenraz

Trotterwatch said:

Noooo!!

Oh well. Good luck everyone! And maybe.. if I'm lucky.. I'm get 2 votes before the contest ends!!!

:luck: :luck: :luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.