What's new

chankast and naomi

EvilWays

TheGuru said:
We need to take this in small steps...
1. Dump the surface mounted EEPROM which contains the serial ID, which is checked by the hardware. It's a small file (128 bytes), but it's not dumped because I don't have the required adapter for it. I have everything else required, just not the adapter. You can see a pic of what is required here.....
http://www.logicalsys.com/prodpics/1603-16-6.jpg
It's quite small, about an inch square and will cost about $80 with postage.
This is why we need the small $$ donation to buy it.

Which one of your machines does this adapter plug into (Data I/O Unisite or TopMax Universal Programmer)? :naughty:

Last edited:

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
francesco74 said:
there's news?
If there would be new news, you would be one of these ppl, who now it at first, because you're a emutalk member, so stop asking for it!

francesco74

model3 and DC/naomi are different HW, perhaps anybody of the emu developers works on both project.

Last edited:

Evrain

The Forbidden One
Just a little side thought. Emulating NAOMI would be extremely dangerous even for more recent machines, such as the AtomisWave hardware: certain hw components from 1998 or so are still not emulated because the driver could easily be adapted for the newest kinds of PCB, let alone PC-based ones such as Taito TypeX (I'm eagerly awaiting for a Linux-based-PCB, will they ever learn?)
You really want to play NAOMI games so badly, even if it could cost so dearly to Sega/sammy and other companies? Again what happened to the glorious SNK?
Evrain

jack

Evrain said:
Just a little side thought. Emulating NAOMI would be extremely dangerous even for more recent machines, such as the AtomisWave hardware: certain hw components from 1998 or so are still not emulated because the driver could easily be adapted for the newest kinds of PCB, let alone PC-based ones such as Taito TypeX (I'm eagerly awaiting for a Linux-based-PCB, will they ever learn?)
You really want to play NAOMI games so badly, even if it could cost so dearly to Sega/sammy and other companies? Again what happened to the glorious SNK?
Evrain

I'm pretty sure emulation didn't lead to the destruction of SNK. It was probably the decline of interest in arcade halls and people preferring console over arcade game. I think the arcade market will probably be dead within a few years given the advancement of all the new console systems.

Arcade used to be popular because people didn't have consoles, and there were less form of entertainment. Now with the internet, pc/console games/ yugioh card trading, its just but a fade. I used to remember there were arcade halls at my local mall, now its replaced by a eb,gamespot,radioshack.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Evrain said:
Evrain
NAOMI isn't aktive anymore I think... AtomisWave is still active, that's why the authors don't want to emulate it yet...

Evrain

The Forbidden One
NAOMI is the hardware base for AtomisWave, and IS active: just come to Italy and you'll see just how may NAOMI systems are still up and running here, along with Model 3 Step 1.5/2 and the last surviving MVS cabinets.
No, those systems should definitely be emulated for the sake of historical memory, as is MAME's goal, but not as long as they will be a way to the destruction of arcade companies.

SNK was shut down because bootleggers could create duplicates of MVS cartridges by using Salmoria's detailed info on their encryption system; bootlegs are always cheaper than usual. And no matter what, an arcade hall is always more exciting than your small room filled with game discs: where's the point of video gaming if you can't share the experience with those good 10-15 friends? It's pointless.
And I like Yu-Gi-Oh! games too, but guess my wallet is not big enough to keep buying expansions :D
In my opinion, arcade halls, arcade gaming itself is still alive and kicking (just see the newest releases from Psikyo, Cave and Takumi), and it's better this way: it's a piece of history, and another way to turn off the PC/TV, go out and play.
Boring enough, I know :)
Evrain

mezkal

Man on a mission
Evrain said:
NAOMI is the hardware base for AtomisWave, and IS active: just come to Italy and you'll see just how may NAOMI systems are still up and running here, along with Model 3 Step 1.5/2 and the last surviving MVS cabinets.
No, those systems should definitely be emulated for the sake of historical memory, as is MAME's goal, but not as long as they will be a way to the destruction of arcade companies.

SNK was shut down because bootleggers could create duplicates of MVS cartridges by using Salmoria's detailed info on their encryption system; bootlegs are always cheaper than usual. And no matter what, an arcade hall is always more exciting than your small room filled with game discs: where's the point of video gaming if you can't share the experience with those good 10-15 friends? It's pointless.
And I like Yu-Gi-Oh! games too, but guess my wallet is not big enough to keep buying expansions :D
In my opinion, arcade halls, arcade gaming itself is still alive and kicking (just see the newest releases from Psikyo, Cave and Takumi), and it's better this way: it's a piece of history, and another way to turn off the PC/TV, go out and play.
Boring enough, I know :)
Evrain

Well said Evrain. I agree. I do think that NOAMI should be left out of THIS emulator. Here in Australia there are many active arcades still running AW and NOAM 1/2 machines. Sammy/SEGA still need these machines to be the real deal if they are too continue producing games and the hardware (parts etc) for them. I think that the authors of this emu have done splendid work so far, so I don't want anyone confusing muy opinion with some sort of silly directive. The authors decide what they emulate not me, not any of you. That said I do feel that NOAMI emulation drags this emu perilously close to certain illegalities that could easily be avoided.

The Salmoria/SNK is one such example. It didn't take long for many SNK bootlegs to reach the arcades here. Though I'm not sure that I agree that piracy was the single nail in SNK's coffin. Their attempts at portable units and thier incredibly slow development times coupled with thier stranglehold on expensive cartridge pricing all took part in thier exit from the arcade stage.

There are always less than scrupulous people who like to profit from these sorts of excercises. I think by pushing NOAMI emulation into the much slower developing MAME project we can avoid the actions of said less than scrupulous persons. If not avoid them then certainly make it a lot harder for them to profit so quickly.

my 2c.

Evrain

The Forbidden One
And I agree with you Mez :)
It's something like a game dump: leave it "undumped" and people will be forced to buy the real thing; get the code outta the board (and boast bout it on the Net) and there'll be an hunt for the data :D
Same for NAOMI and co.: get the docs, understand how these things work, and leave it alone. Then, after 6 or 7 years, just re-translate everything into code and no harm to MAME is done :)
Evrain

Russ

I think another factor as to why Arcades were/are no longer popular is because of the visual effects. The hardware used in the arcades seemed to be in leaps and bounds ahead of the consoles that the consumers were given to purchase. Back then we had Mega Drives/32x's and Sega Saturns to play poorer quality ports of games like Virtua Fighter/Racing/Cop/whatever, when in the arcade you can have the proper visual experience. When Virtua Fighter 3 came out, I didn't think those type of graphics were possible, and how hot did Scud Racer look? And that was on a Model 3 board! The looks alone made me WANT to play those games cause they looked so gosh darn pretty and 'lifelike'. I was given the impression that console owners would not be given that luxury.

But these days you can now buy affordable consoles that pull off all the pretty visual effects that those arcade machines once did plus LOTS more. I never thought DC emulation would be possible after seeing the lush graphics on Soul Calibur or Sonic Adventure 2 on my TV screen... now only a few years later they're replicated on PC perfectly and i'm still left amazed!

Last edited:

EvilWays

Evrain said:
And I agree with you Mez :)
It's something like a game dump: leave it "undumped" and people will be forced to buy the real thing; get the code outta the board (and boast bout it on the Net) and there'll be an hunt for the data :D
Same for NAOMI and co.: get the docs, understand how these things work, and leave it alone. Then, after 6 or 7 years, just re-translate everything into code and no harm to MAME is done :)
Evrain

At this point, it's uncertain how long it will be before the Naomi hardware is fully emulated. It might be a few weeks or a few years...

Evrain

The Forbidden One
I wouldn't say that, given the progresses of Chankast... I wouldn't be suprised either if the authors have stopped developing the program for that reason. And I agree with them.
Evrain

veritron

i don't think naomi emu would kill the arcades.

i mean, seriously, a home user isn't going to spend 1k on one game, ever. i could understand discouraging people from playing the emulated arcade cart rather than buying the console ports of the games, but most naomi ports came out for DC before anyway - and that already died.

and you'd have to spend quite a bit more than the 1k us you could use to get a real naomi system w/ game on a pc system capable of emulating naomi games at full speed, so arcade operators aren't going to simply buy a pc, monitor and an x-arcade stick and put it in a custom cabinet.

admittedly retail naomi systems probably sell for more, but for 1k buy-it-now you could get a ready-to-rumble naomi arcade mech on ebay right now.

Evrain

The Forbidden One
The problem is: NAOMI technology has now been included in MANY other systems, such as AtomisWave and lots more, so emulating certain parts of the hardware would mean breaking more quickly the protections of AW. And since I don't want Sega to shut down, I prefer things the way they are.
Same thing happened in MAME: read previous posts.
Evrain

mike20599

Luckily you self-proclaimed morality police of emulation don't influence what gets dumped and what gets emulated. It will continue as it always has.

Evrain

The Forbidden One
I was just exposing my point of view.... Everyone can do what he wants. I don't even want to reply.
Evrain