What's new

Calling All Programmers!!!

OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Hey Doom!

I can't wait to test this out and get you some feedback written, a full bug report and total to-do list, BUT...

We've got a little problem! I can't load the program. The old WIPs still run, but this new version gives me the following error. I click okay and it closes the program.

The error:

'Runtime error!

Program: C:\James Files\Command Launcher\Command Launcher.exe

abnormal program termination'

A damned shame. If you could sort this out, I'd love to get to work with a full report for you.

I hope you get back here tonight...!

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Oh these damned problems... I suppose I did something wrong then. I'll have to log it unless seth can find the problem. But I'll be back tonight with a wip 3.1 build.

OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Yeah, they're a bitch. The end result will be really impressive though. Hopefully :p

Anyway if you get a fixed build up here tonight like you say, I'll write you a report on it as soon as I get it.

Adios for now, Doom.

smcd

Hey did you email it yet? I posted my email address, sethmcdoogle[@]hotmail.com will work (remove the [ ] obviously)

Doomulation

Will do tonight. Preferbly after I fixed that crash, though.
Okay, here's Quicklinks wip 3.1. Crash fixed (that was my fault, btw, ahem).

Changelog from last release:

- Name changed from Command Launcher to Quicklinks.
- Tooltips have replaced some error messages now. Be sure to try it out!
- Tray tooltip bug fixed!
- Previous crash in wip 3 fixed.

Seth: I've sent the source to your email.

Last edited:
OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Ah, here we go... :p

I'm out this evening but I'll be checking it the second I get back through the door.

Looking forward to giving it a whirl!

Back soon.

OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
So, here we are - WIP 3!!!

It worked this time 'round, and I've tested it a fair bit - it's looking fantastic nowadays.

Without further ado, let's cut straight to the chase...

Potential Fixes

- The keyword box doesn't seem to default to being 'always on top' - other windows and programs can be opened 'above' it. Keyword box should always be on top, no matter what.
- Right-click shell integration currently doesn't function. The error: 'Doom's Infested Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.' occurs whenever I try to right-click and keyword a file.
- FOLDERS and WEBSITES still currently can't be right-clicked and keyworded. No 'Keyword It!' option is given.
- The options dialogue works for selecting start-up and shell integration, BUT it doesn't allow you to select different hotkeys for different functions - it simply doesn't accept any input whatsoever.
- DOUBLE-CLICKING the icon to start the program when another instance of it is running allows you to run MORE THAN ONE instance - perhaps this could be changed so that Quicklinks detects whether an instance of the program is currently active?
- In WIP 2, when shell integration worked, if you entered a keyword and hit 'enter' instead of clicking 'OK' it would close the keyword management window, but would NOT register the command - you had to manually re-enter it later.
- FOLDERS can't currently be selected in the 'Manage Commands' window. By clicking 'Browse', it is impossible at the moment to select a folder to give a keyword. Could this be changed so that FOLDERS as well as FILES and WEBSITES can be selected for keywords in the 'Manage Keywords' box?
- CURRENTLY, if you mis-spell a keyword and it says it can't find it, the NEXT time you call down the keyword box, that error is STILL displayed. Even after you type in a GOOD keyword, the error pops back up the next time you call up the keyword box. You need to click the error tooltip to remove it manually. This ALSO happens if you get an error in the Options box - the same error is presented when you next call the keyword box up. Could this be changed so it doesn't keep coming back?

Potential Tweaks:

- Can't currently delete keywords by pressing 'Delete' on them - could this be implemented?
- Could the program detect whether it has already been installed when it is first ran? It could do this by searching the registry for a certain key. If it detects that it is being ran for the first time, it could present the OPTIONS dialogue box when it is first ran. In future, when a registry entry is present, running the program would no longer present this option.
- Right-click 'Keyword It!' option for FOLDERS and within Explorer on WEBSITES. On a website, if someone chooses to give it a keyword, the URL would already be present in the 'Executable' box.
- If you select a PREVIOUSLY entered keyword in the 'Manage Commands' box, could the window not display the keyword and the file path associated with it in the spaces below?
- Possibly remove F10 link to 'Options' and replace it with a F10 link to 'Manage Commands' - do not use F11, as this controls the fullscreen function in MS Internet Explorer!

Potential To-Do List:

- Fixing the bugs listed above and hopefully implementing the tweaks given above, too.
- Smart keyword finding? Entering the first few letters of a keyword to find the rest...?
- Renaming the various parts of the program according to my specification (if you're alright with this, of course).
- Modifying the icons of the program.
- Adding to a .zip file with the readme file that I've worked on, and incoporating the customisation features I've listed above.

Okayyy... if you get through *that* list, we should be approaching a v1.0 release of Quicklinks. Basically, if you manage to sort all the issues given above and implement the tweaks and the to-do list, all we'll need to do is re-brand the program with my own text/labels (if that's acceptable to you), add the readme and distribute the program. We're getting very close to a v1.0 release now! Once the above changes are made, the tool is re-branded with some of my own text and it has its icons changed, it'll pretty much be ready for a final release to the world. I can't wait!

We're getting very close to the end, Doom... see what you can do with my latest report, and get back to me whenever you can. Thanks for all the programming you've done so far! :p

Last edited:

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
Is not more easy to use the WinKey + R and type the program?

Only need to have the right keys and values into windows registry:

In the example, i need to type only "test" in Run box...
Isn't more easy to create a GUI for this function?

But your app is really cool... I prefer myself the keyboard instead of mouse.

Jared

I just move my shortcuts to the Windows directory, like .. to access My Documents, I placed a shortcut to it in my Windows directory named Docs. Then, I hotkey to run (windows key + r), and type in docs.

This is what you mean right? But having software do it instead..

bcrew1375

Yeah, having alot of shortcut files will eventually start eating away lots of hard disk space. On NTFS, I think file space is allocated in amounts of 4K. So, if you had a file that is only 100 bytes big, it would still use 4K of disk space. That would add up pretty quick.

Doomulation

Xade said:
So, here we are - WIP 3!!!

It worked this time 'round, and I've tested it a fair bit - it's looking fantastic nowadays.

Without further ado, let's cut straight to the chase...

Potential Fixes

- The keyword box doesn't seem to default to being 'always on top' - other windows and programs can be opened 'above' it. Keyword box should always be on top, no matter what.
Easy add.

- Right-click shell integration currently doesn't function. The error: 'Doom's Infested Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.' occurs whenever I try to right-click and keyword a file.
Bug, of course. I've located it and it will be FIXED.

- FOLDERS and WEBSITES still currently can't be right-clicked and keyworded. No 'Keyword It!' option is given.
This will probably require a more complex shell integration via context menu handlers which requires a bundle of work thanks to no small part due to microsoft's "com" technology. Pain in the ass. It will be postponded after this version is bug free, when I will take time to work on some more advanced stuff. Also, for IE, I haven't the slightest clue how to add a context menu. Yet.

- The options dialogue works for selecting start-up and shell integration, BUT it doesn't allow you to select different hotkeys for different functions - it simply doesn't accept any input whatsoever.
Not implemted yet.

- DOUBLE-CLICKING the icon to start the program when another instance of it is running allows you to run MORE THAN ONE instance - perhaps this could be changed so that Quicklinks detects whether an instance of the program is currently active?
Well, yes, I could. But I find it a limitation to block users from launching an app twice. It should be of little difficulty, though.

- In WIP 2, when shell integration worked, if you entered a keyword and hit 'enter' instead of clicking 'OK' it would close the keyword management window, but would NOT register the command - you had to manually re-enter it later.
In this WIP, it defaults to "Add" instead of "OK."

- FOLDERS can't currently be selected in the 'Manage Commands' window. By clicking 'Browse', it is impossible at the moment to select a folder to give a keyword. Could this be changed so that FOLDERS as well as FILES and WEBSITES can be selected for keywords in the 'Manage Keywords' box?
Websites? No. Websites you need to manually enter. Folders? Maybe. I need to dig for another control, but I don't know where it is nor how it is used, so that may take some time.

- CURRENTLY, if you mis-spell a keyword and it says it can't find it, the NEXT time you call down the keyword box, that error is STILL displayed. Even after you type in a GOOD keyword, the error pops back up the next time you call up the keyword box. You need to click the error tooltip to remove it manually. This ALSO happens if you get an error in the Options box - the same error is presented when you next call the keyword box up. Could this be changed so it doesn't keep coming back?
Thought that might happen. Yes, I will make sure to try to remove any tooltip when closing the dialogs.

Potential Tweaks:

- Can't currently delete keywords by pressing 'Delete' on them - could this be implemented?
Keywords can be deleted by selecting "Remove." An edit feature will be present when I have time, also.

- Could the program detect whether it has already been installed when it is first ran? It could do this by searching the registry for a certain key. If it detects that it is being ran for the first time, it could present the OPTIONS dialogue box when it is first ran. In future, when a registry entry is present, running the program would no longer present this option.
Yes, that can easily be done.

- Right-click 'Keyword It!' option for FOLDERS and within Explorer on WEBSITES. On a website, if someone chooses to give it a keyword, the URL would already be present in the 'Executable' box.
Postponed.

- If you select a PREVIOUSLY entered keyword in the 'Manage Commands' box, could the window not display the keyword and the file path associated with it in the spaces below?
Postponed for the edit feature.

- Possibly remove F10 link to 'Options' and replace it with a F10 link to 'Manage Commands' - do not use F11, as this controls the fullscreen function in MS Internet Explorer!
J00 criminal, j00! Use Firefix. I don't know what shortcut I'd use instead, so I'll not change this, but I will get the shortcut changing done for the next version.

bcrew: On NTFS, the smallest cluster size allowed is 512 bytes, which is one of the reasons I love NTFS over FAT32.

smcd

Doomulation said:
Easy add.
Websites? No. Websites you need to manually enter. Folders? Maybe. I need to dig for another control, but I don't know where it is nor how it is used, so that may take some time.

Look up in MSDN SHBrowseForFolder? And as for right-click functionality on folders, it should be no harder than on files. The website integration could be tricky due to people being able to choose their browsers ;)

Doomulation

sethmcdoogle said:
And as for right-click functionality on folders, it should be no harder than on files.
Then induldge me; I don't know of a way yet. Other than context menu handlers, since the shell documentation from microsoft is as poor as the rest of it.

The website integration could be tricky due to people being able to choose their browsers ;)
That's what I'm afraid of. In IE, I should be able to add a context menu. For firefox? An extension, I suppose, but I don't know how to do those now do I want to make one. Sigh...

OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Hey again,

Sorry about the lateness of the report last night; I ended up going out, like I said.

I think I covered just about *everything* that needs doing now, though. If you somehow manage to work through that entire list, I really don't see how we could improve the tool any more - it'll essentially be perfect for what it was designed to do. Which will be brilliant, obviously :p

Incidentally, Doom, for me the program's now in a useable state - I've assigned about 50 keywords and it's basically transformed how I use Windows. My favourite 20 or so websites are just a couple of letters away, no matter where I am or which program I'm using, and I have access to all the important files and folders on the PC just by hitting F12 and typing a word. Fan-damned-tastic!

Has anyone else started using this yet? Obviously we won't actually *push* the tool around the internet until it's totally finished, but at the moment it's working very well, and I'm finding it a massive help.

I suppose now would be an opportune moment to say thanks a lot for the massive effort you've been putting into this Doom - you've taken my idea and created something great out of it. Keep up the good work squishing bugs etc!

And thanks to you too, seth, and the others who've had input on this thing!

Looking forward to the next update Doom!

Doomulation

Okay then,
Current plans are: work out all bugs - next release will be a beta! - and when that is done, we'll concider if many people complain about the requirements (that is, if many will use it :p), and I'll release a version 1.0.
Further enhancements will then be available in 2.0, especially those you've mentioned.

And what could possibly be enhanced further than what you've stated? Easy! Scripting! The program could allow scripts to be executed! That would add further to its usefullness, wouldn't it, hehe? I suppose that would make a 3.0 ;)

OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Definitely... I did actually wonder whether one day something like this might evolve into basically a Windows command prompt; enter keywords and make stuff happen... sort of involving scripts/macros, like you say...

BUT! That's probably a little way off, and not worth thinking about for now right?

Yeah, basically v1.0 should just include all the bugs we've went through, and some of the suggestions (right-click folder keywording should probably make it into the v1.0 release I think, if that would actually be possible... seth etc seemed to think so, but I can't really comment from my position).

Whether or not Internet Explorer integration makes it into v1.0 is up to you - presumably this would be quite difficult, and might take some time.

So if we have it so v1.0 includes most of what we've suggested *but probably without* smart keyword searches and Internet Explorer intergration, that'd be totally ideal.

Another thing - if we get through the next betas okay, might it be possible for me to modify some of the text/headers within the program? At least for my own copy of it, anyway? I'm going to give this to all my friends and at least personally I reckon it might need a little bit of rewording. Would this be okay in your opinion, too? I would just give you a .txt with all the modifications to be made, basically, and I'd send you the readme, icons etc too.

Quicklinks has a few fans around my neck of the woods already, y'see... :D

Last edited:

Doomulation

You are definetly correct about not thinking about the script yet. That will be later (but some small amount might actually make it into v1.0 since I intend to base the program to actually use scripts).

Sure if you want to modify some things - I could send them in a text file, since I doubt you have an IDE. But if the changes make it into the final program is up to me ;)
Shell integration will probably make it since I've found lots of incredible info about it.

EDIT: Alright, it's time for beta 1. I've tried to fix what you've mentioned above and added a nice little bonus feature as well...
To take advantage of it, you may need to download and install Haali's Media Splitter (http://haali.cs.msu.ru/mkv/) or ffdshow (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=53761&package_id=59355&release_id=274595) or any other directshow filter that are capable of playing back aac.
Another filter I found was http://www.free-codecs.com/download/CoreAAC_Directshow_filter.htm. I don't know if it requires Haali or not, but try it out regardless; it's much smaller than ffdshow (although ffdshow can decode many more formats).

Here is also a list of all the strings I could find in the program:

m_ToolTip.AddTool(&m_chkStartWithWindows, "Master, if you check this option, this application will start when windows starts.");
m_ToolTip.AddTool(&m_chkRegisterWithShell, "Master, if you check this option, a command named \"Register\" will appear on the context menu of every file. Selecting it allow you to register a command with that file or folder.\n\nBut remember, Master! This option will appear on every file, and with files where there is no command associated, this will become the default command!");
m_ToolTip.AddTool(&m_cmdOK, "Master, you nutcake! You click here to save your settings!");
m_ToolTip.AddTool(&m_cmdCancel, "Master, you nutcake! You click here to discard your settings!");
m_ToolTip.AddTool(&m_txtCommandShortcut, "Master, here you can press the shortcut you want to use to open the keyword box.\nSimply press down the key you want to use! You can also hold down ctrl, alt or shift to use those as well!");
m_ToolTip.AddTool(&m_txtOptionsShortcut, "Master, here you can press the shortcut you want to use to open the options dialog.\nSimply press down the key you want to use! You can also hold down ctrl, alt or shift to use those as well!");
m_ToolTip.AddTool(&m_txtManageShortcut, "Master, here you can press the shortcut you want to use to open the manage commands dialog.\nSimply press down the key you want to use! You can also hold down ctrl, alt or shift to use those as well!");
ErrBox("Sorry, Master, I was unable to change your preferances.\nWindows reported: ", this/*, hr*/);
ShowTooltip(m_ToolTip, &m_txtCommand, "Master, you haven't entered any command!");
ShowTooltip(m_ToolTip, &m_txtCommand, "Master, I could not find the command you were trying to execute! Did you misspell it?");
ShowTooltip(m_ToolTip, &m_txtCommand, "Master, an error occoured when trying to read from the registry. I couldn't execute your command, sorry.\nWindows reported:", hr);
ShowTooltip(m_ToolTip, &m_txtCommand, "Master, it appears that your system isn't configured to open the file you're trying to open.\nYou need to associate it or change your command and try again.");
ShowTooltip(m_ToolTip, &m_txtCommand, "Master, I'm sorry. I couldn't execute your command: ShellExecute failed.\nShellExecute returned:", lResult);
ErrBox("Greedy, greedy Master. Quicklinks is already running; why open another instance?");
pManageDlg->m_lblTitle.SetWindowText("Master, enter your command and click Add! Then close your window and you're done! Get to it, Master!");
ErrBox("Ahhh, Master! Disaster, disaster! DirectInput failed to initialize!\nNow keys won't be able to be captured. That is, pressing the shortcut key to bring up the command box won't work!\nDirectInput errored:", (CWnd*)&dlg, hr);
ErrBox("Ahhh, Master! Disaster, disaster! DirectShow failed to initialize!\nNow sounds won't be able to be heard!\nDirectShow reported: ", hr);
InfoBox("Master, welcome! Hi! Since this is your first time... take some time to configure your options... and add some commands.");
MessageBox(dlg.m_hWnd, "Master, woe on yoooouuuuuuuuu!", "Command Launcher", MB_OK + MB_ICONEXCLAMATION);
ErrBox("Uh-oh, Master. It seems that I have been waiting for the keyboard input thread for nothing. It doesn't seem to want to terminate. I will terminate the application anyway.");
ExclBox("Master, you have added no commands, so it is pointless to execute one!\nI insist that you add some commands before trying to execute any!");
ErrBox("An error occoured when trying to read the registry. Windows reported:", GetLastError());
m_lstCommands.InsertColumn(0, "Command", LVCFMT_LEFT, rect.Width() / 4);
m_lstCommands.InsertColumn(1, "Action", LVCFMT_LEFT, rect.Width() / 4 * 3 - 1);
ErrBox("Ack, it seems there were some access violations when trying to gather your commands, Master. I'm truly sorry, but I cannot add those.", this);
ErrBox("Master, I'm afraid that I failed to add some of the commands you've added to the list. Can't do much about it, sorry.", this);
info.lpszTitle = "Master, select your file or folder!";
ShowTooltip(m_ToolTip, &m_txtCommand, "Master, you need to enter a command!"); //, this);
ShowTooltip(m_ToolTip, &m_txtFile, "Master, you need to enter a file/folder or url!");
if (QBox("Master, this command already exists! Do you wish to overwrite it?", this) == IDNO) return;
if (QBox("Master, there was an error when checking if the command already existed.\nIf you continue, you might overwrite an existing command!\nContinue anyway?\n\nThe reported error was:", this, hr) == IDNO) return;
ShowTooltip(m_ToolTip, &m_cmdAdd, "I was unable to save your command, Master :(\nAn error I did not understand occoured:\n", (DWORD)hr);
ShowTooltip(m_ToolTip, &m_cmdAdd, "Master, I failed to add the command to the list, but the command was saved.\nBut I don't understand why it failed.");
ShowTooltip(m_ToolTip, &m_cmdAdd, "Master, I failed to add your action to the list, but the command was saved.\nBut I don't understand why it failed.");
ShowTooltip(m_ToolTip, &m_lstCommands, "Master, you need to select the command you wish to delete first!");
ShowTooltip(m_ToolTip, &m_lstCommands, "Master, I failed to delete your command. Sorry.\nAn error I did not understand occoured:\n", hr);
ShowTooltip(m_ToolTip, &m_lstCommands, "Master, I failed to remove your command from the list. However, the command was deleted.");

Last edited:
OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Haha, you won't believe this...

Shell integration? "Greedy, greedy Master. Quicklinks is already running; why open another instance?"

Perhaps instead of referring the program to open up another instance via the .exe, could the 'Keyword It!' shortcut not just refer to the 'Manage Commands' box instead? That might solve the problem. How easy that'd be to actually do, though... another story? :p

Still, I'm *liking* the way you can now select folders in the command manager, and the fact that more than one instance is blocked when you try to run the program again.

Okay, the usual...

Potential Fixes:

- Shell integration problem with multiple instances now being blocked. Hopefully there is a way to allow both somehow...?
- Web pages and folders can't be right-clicked yet for the purpose of keywording, although I'm presuming you haven't actually enabled this yet.
- Tooltip for a bad keyword is still present when the keyword box is called later. Has to be manually clicked to get rid of it.
- Hotkeys can't be configured yet.
- Keyword box isn't totally on top of all other windows at the moment - even when you click away from it, it should remain above all other windows. Could an 'always on top' command or something to that effect be inserted into the program code?
- Different boxes can't currently be ran at the same time as one another - might this be possible? Eg. use the options box at the same time as command manager?
- Can't currently view the filepaths of keywords in the command manager. Presumably this'll be added when the option to edit them is implemented?

Potential Tweaks

- Perhaps the keywords list in the command manager could be arranged alphabetically by keyword automatically? As new keywords are created, they get added to the list in the right place?
- Would opening web pages/folders in seperate windows/instances be possible? This would allow for multiple web pages/folders to be accessed one after another.
- Modify the 'Folder:' text in the command manager to 'Shortcut:', 'Item:' or 'Path:', possibly?
- ...Removal of sounds at the moment, possibly? :( I know they're cool but maybe they could go in a later/different release when the program's passed v1.0 stage? Either that, or perhaps an option to enable/disable them could be presented?

Potential To-Do List:

- Bug fixes and tweak implentations above.
- Text editing/module renaming, 'About' box, readme, icons.
- Uh... ;)

Yeah, we're getting closer and closer to v1.0.

To be honest Doom, once we've got *all* of the tweaks, bug-fixes and to-do stuff taken care of above, we're ready for v1.0, final branding, final tests etc.

At that point, the direction things go is up in the air - scripts, macros, smart searches... whatever. But do know that once everything above has been taken care of, the program will satisfy everything I ever wanted it to be in this context. From then on, it'll be experimentation!!!

I might say, too, as boring as it sounds maybe sounds/script additions/extra features not listed might not be worth touching for now. Possibly they could be removed and left alone until everything above has been taken care of? Once that's been done, *then* would probably be the time to start cool experiments. There are still a few 'standard' features and bugs to get ironed out as far as I can see, before that. At least that's what I reckon. Get the original, basic idea behind the program working perfectly, then move on to the wild.

And the text modifications? Thanks for the string list, I'll get to work. To be honest, I think it might be good to have a FINAL version of v1.0 built before we mess around with the text and change the names, otherwise we'll need to keep doing it with every build where the text changes.

Aaanyway, that's the latest w0rd on... the first beta!!! :D Expect another report next time around along with a finished readme, icons and text modifications when we actually get ready for v1.0.

Last edited:

Doomulation

Xade said:
Haha, you won't believe this...

Shell integration? "Greedy, greedy Master. Quicklinks is already running; why open another instance?"
A bug! I noticed it after submitting the beta. I've fixed it naturally. The problem is that there's a lot of startup code and some needs to be prioritized before the other (like that for example; it should detect that it's trying to register before checking for other instances).

Perhaps instead of referring the program to open up another instance via the .exe, could the 'Keyword It!' shortcut not just refer to the 'Manage Commands' box instead? That might solve the problem. How easy that'd be to actually do, though... another story? :p
Ah, but you see, that's a problem. There are 3 ways of doing this: start an application, use rundll32 to call a function in a dll, and context menu handlers. All of which has their own advantages and disadvantages, naturally. I will not touch this until the context menu handling code is complete (when that is, no one knows).

Still, I'm *liking* the way you can now select folders in the command manager, and the fact that more than one instance is blocked when you try to run the program again.

Okay, the usual...

Potential Fixes:

- Shell integration problem with multiple instances now being blocked. Hopefully there is a way to allow both somehow...?
You would simply have to close your running Quicklinks, but this quick update will remove that problem

Web pages and folders can't be right-clicked yet for the purpose of keywording, although I'm presuming you haven't actually enabled this yet.
- Hotkeys can't be configured yet.
Haven't had time with those. Folders will be ready when my context menu code is ready. For web pages, I can't say.

- Tooltip for a bad keyword is still present when the keyword box is called later. Has to be manually clicked to get rid of it.
Hmmm... I'm trying to figure out what you're doing here. Tell me, step by step, how you're achieving this effect.

- Keyword box isn't totally on top of all other windows at the moment - even when you click away from it, it should remain above all other windows. Could an 'always on top' command or something to that effect be inserted into the program code?
Well, apparently that didn't work. Don't worry; it isn't hard to do that, so I'll use the true approach by using the Windows API next time.

- Different boxes can't currently be ran at the same time as one another - might this be possible? Eg. use the options box at the same time as command manager?
I disabled that on purpose. Why do you want two or more dialogs at the same time?

- Can't currently view the filepaths of keywords in the command manager. Presumably this'll be added when the option to edit them is implemented?
That is correct.

Potential Tweaks

- Perhaps the keywords list in the command manager could be arranged alphabetically by keyword automatically? As new keywords are created, they get added to the list in the right place?
Easy enough. It's just a setting!

- Would opening web pages/folders in seperate windows/instances be possible? This would allow for multiple web pages/folders to be accessed one after another.
You mean that after opening a folder using a keyword, then another using a keyword means that the same window gets used twice? If so, then it is the fault of the ShellExecute API. I'll have to find a way around it.

- Modify the 'Folder:' text in the command manager to 'Shortcut:', 'Item:' or 'Path:', possibly?
Now I don't know what label you're talking about. I see no 'Folder:' text anywhere.

- ...Removal of sounds at the moment, possibly? :( I know they're cool but maybe they could go in a later/different release when the program's passed v1.0 stage? Either that, or perhaps an option to enable/disable them could be presented?
OF course there will be an option to disable them, but I haven't had time since it's relatively new. If you don't like them, simply delete the Sounds folder or remove your system's ability to play AAC files. A dialog box will be displayed instead of sounds.

Potential To-Do List:

- Bug fixes and tweak implentations above.
YES!!! Highest priority!

- Text editing/module renaming, 'About' box, readme, icons.
- Uh... ;)

Yeah, we're getting closer and closer to v1.0.

To be honest Doom, once we've got *all* of the tweaks, bug-fixes and to-do stuff taken care of above, we're ready for v1.0, final branding, final tests etc.

At that point, the direction things go is up in the air - scripts, macros, smart searches... whatever. But do know that once everything above has been taken care of, the program will satisfy everything I ever wanted it to be in this context. From then on, it'll be experimentation!!!

I might say, too, as boring as it sounds maybe sounds/script additions/extra features not listed might not be worth touching for now. Possibly they could be removed and left alone until everything above has been taken care of? Once that's been done, *then* would probably be the time to start cool experiments. There are still a few 'standard' features and bugs to get ironed out as far as I can see, before that. At least that's what I reckon. Get the original, basic idea behind the program working perfectly, then move on to the wild.
That's the idea. New features has low priority. Maybe sounds will be disabled for the actual release, and maybe not. In 2.0 maybe more sounds will be added and maybe not.

And the text modifications? Thanks for the string list, I'll get to work. To be honest, I think it might be good to have a FINAL version of v1.0 built before we mess around with the text and change the names, otherwise we'll need to keep doing it with every build where the text changes.
Yep. But you can still work on it. For the final build, when ready, I'll post a last list of strings so you can get to work on the final strings.

Aaanyway, that's the latest w0rd on... the first beta!!! :D Expect another report next time around along with a finished readme, icons and text modifications when we actually get ready for v1.0.
Looking forward to it ;)

Update for beta 1 (This is a patch! Replace the existing files within your Quicklinks folder from the previous version with these). Fixes some bugs.

- The shell integration bug was fixed.
- The app did not correctly know that it was not the first time you ran if you did not add any commands.
- The commands in this beta has been moved to Quicklinks\Commands! This will make all your existing commands disappear! I have no solution currently, sorry. But I'll whip something up tomorrow.

This is beta 1.1.

OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Faaast fast post just to give you the crappy news - the right-click context menus *still* come up with the 'multiple instances' error. Urgh :S

'Doom's Infested Key' also crashed on me for the first time when I tried adding a keyword to a website manually through the menu. It worked most of the time, but crashed that once :S

Yeah anyway, just a quick notice about the context menus. Sorry!!! :(

(I like the way it now detects if it's your first time using the program. Nice.)

(To get my keyword box error repitition, like you asked... type in a bad keyword, something wrong. An error pop-up will appear. Press F12 to close the keyword box. Press F12 to open it again... the same error will still be displayed. It doesn't seem to fade away or go away, at least not on the machine I'm using at the minute...)

[EDIT: IMPORTANT ERROR!!! Currently you can select folders in the Command Management window and assign them keywords, but these keywords do NOT work - it says it can't find the file specified. Could this be fixed in the next release along with the other bug fixes and tweaks?]

Last edited: