What's new

Buying new PC / ATI or nVidia?

CanSee

Depressive freak
thought of buying a new PC;
I am rarely gaming, mostly EMU
For graphic design, would an ATI or GeForce card be better?
(refering to colors, gamma value, etc.) or is that the same?

There are ATI Radeon VIVO cards for the 9200 series. What about 9600? Do some models have VIVO? What about nVidia? Would be cool, cuz I have little space for an extra TV in my room.
For DVD playback ATI has this eye candy options I heard of, do nVidia cards have those, too?

TNX in advance

smcd

The "All in Wonder" series (9600, 9800, etc) have accessories to hook up external video sources (camcorders, etc), and also have a TV tuner, which can also handle analog cable (don't know about digital), onboard.

Stezo2k

S-2K
The Nvidia Geforce 6600 is the most valuble for money at the moment

brilliant performance and well priced

ATI and Nvidia are pretty much equal with their top of the range cards

Nvidia Excels in Open GL
ATI Excels in Direct X

sheik124

Emutalk Member
Stezo2k said:
ATI Excels in Direct X
The GeForce 6600GT mopped the floor with the X700 Pro in Half-Life 2 in Anandtech's recent test, so your once-true statement has changed with the GeForce 6 Series

Stezo2k

S-2K
sheik124 said:
The GeForce 6600GT mopped the floor with the X700 Pro in Half-Life 2 in Anandtech's recent test, so your once-true statement has changed with the GeForce 6 Series

Yeah? Didn't expect that, do you have a link for these benchmarks? I did hear that Nvidia was improving direct x performance in their drivers, might be due to that?

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
For mostly just Nintendo 64 emulation, a processor upgrade is the way to go.

I recommend at least an Athlon XP that can do at least 2.1 ghz (real frequency).
Definitely don't require anything more than a Radeon 9600 Pro or GeForce FX5700 for a video card.

With Goldeneye 007, I recommend at least an Athlon XP that can OC to 2.25 ghz.

sheik124

Emutalk Member
most people don't have the balls to mess with their new toys, with things like OC'ing and what not.
not trying to discriminate racially or anything, but judging by where you're from, i am guessing you don't have all the money in the world to blow on a PC (or any other unneccesary toys) but using Glide64 with your voodoo card should give you some nice results, even with your constrained CPU. if you want a cheap upgrade to go with, the best option would be something like a GeForce FX 5200, a Sempron 2800+, 512 MB of DDR RAM, and an ASRock mobo of some sorts, they make reliable yet cheap motherboards. if you have some more cash to blow, get like a GeForce 6600GT AGP and an Abit NF7-S, a gig of ram, and an Athlon XP Mobile, should be able to push her enough for playable framerates in n64 emus, and it'll do good in current games like Doom 3 and Half Life 2 as well

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Don't ever select a video card based on the brand. They'll always outdo one another at some point in time. Just get the card that offers the best price/performance ratio. Every time I need a new video card, I buy the best one that $200 can buy as an ironclad rule, as that is usually where the best price/performance break is. Hasn't failed me yet.

soccerboi00

personally, i think ATI is the best and many of the people with problems posted on the forums are using NVIDEA Geforces. Plus ATI has given their technology to generic companys so they can build an ATI graphics card for cheaper. Like the Xtasy 128MB PCI card I have. I got it for $30 after main-in rebates at CompUSA (they were out of AGP 8x ones, otherwise I would have gotten that).

sheik124

Emutalk Member
soccerboi00 said:
personally, i think ATI is the best and many of the people with problems posted on the forums are using NVIDEA Geforces. Plus ATI has given their technology to generic companys so they can build an ATI graphics card for cheaper. Like the Xtasy 128MB PCI card I have. I got it for $30 after main-in rebates at CompUSA (they were out of AGP 8x ones, otherwise I would have gotten that).
Wow, your one of the dumbest fanboys I've ever seen.

1. its spelled nVidia, not nVidea
2. nVidia doesn't even build their own graphics cards, they only supply chips to card manufacturers. And ATI did not give them "technology", they simply sell them VPUs
3. You don't even know what you got for 30 dollars, there is no Radeon Xtasy, thats just a brand sub-name

/rant

milen

Nvidia or ATI :happy:
Apple or Orange

If you're not fan of something it dosen't matter which of both.
Consider your price and buy something in range that isn't 64bit. For graphic design you need ram not videocard

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I just bought an ATI X800 Pro, so I guess I chose Orange :p

Seriously though go for whatever performs better, and because of the X800's price I wouldn't advise going for it unless you are a nutter like me... bought it on an impulse buy, it's arriving tomorrow, can't wait!

Eagle

aka Alshain
vampireuk said:
Really can we please capitalise NVIDIA as that is how it is bloody spelt :p

Actually its spelled nVIDIA in the logo. But everywhere else on the website it says NVIDIA.

Last edited:

WildNinji

I suggest you to buy an ATi, the second best you can afford ;)
Usually the best you can afford is not worth all that money; most of the time the second one is the best buy.

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
Eagle said:
Actually its spelled nVIDIA in the logo. But everywhere else on the website it says NVIDIA.

Who worked for a NVIDIA site, who worked for a NVIDIA site, who worked for a NVIDIA site. Get the point? :p

The logo is just used since it looks better than a logo in full caps.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Yes, it would be a shame if the net didn't have perfect spelling and letter casing wouldn't it?

mezkal

Man on a mission
As someone who HAS worked in the press I would say that NVIDIA would be very careful to make clear with specific instructions as to how their Corporate Logo is to be displayed, probably even going so far as supplying complete "press packs" of scaled and correctly presented versions of their logos. Some companies even go so far as to supply a font and colour charts that their artwork uses, so that their partners can create similarly theme content which maintains NVIDIA's Corporate Identity.

Now Eagle, by your definition you are comparing the handling of food to the handling of IP (Intellectual Property). Sure you need clean hands for both, but a working and aware conciousness (unless you want to get sued) is ALSO a requirement for the latter. :p

Eagle

aka Alshain
mezkal said:
Now Eagle, by your definition you are comparing the handling of food to the handling of IP (Intellectual Property). Sure you need clean hands for both, but a working and aware conciousness (unless you want to get sued) is ALSO a requirement for the latter. :p

I know, I'm just arguing for the sake of argument, I actually think he is right since everywhere on the website they capitalize it except in the logo. My point there was that just becasue you worked on a website that dealt with NVIDIA products, doesn't make you an expert. I recently started a job working with a major software producer and on the system I am typing this on I have an NVIDIA chipset which I am not allowed to tell you the name of due to a confidentiality agreement. Yet I still don't consider myself an expert.

Last edited: