What's new

bios reset while loading ?

OP
D

Darkice

Yes, i have inserted the virtual cd into correct virtual drive
Please dont be angry, nightmare .
Please tell me which booting program to use (exoboot, dir2boot,fastboot) and what format should the final cd image file be in (.cdi , .bin, .iso,nrg) in order to be recognised by chankast
what should the data folder in the booting program contain (a 1st_read.bin IP.BIN file and whatelse )

Nightmare

(when dream come true)
Darkice said:
Please tell me which booting program to use...
all right... so i'm calm... until the next time (no doubt on that)...
so we're starting from the beginning
1. you must have chankast, dc_bios.bin and dc_flash.bin in the same directory...
2. you have to be sure your bios is not corrupted, a corrupted bios will always ask you to enter the clock values...
3. right click on dc_bios.bin and in properties you unset "read only", you do the same for dc_flash.bin, then you launch chankast, click start (no cd is inserted here yet) you enter the bios, and here you make the change for your language (it's spanish but maybe you want another language) without changing the clock values.
then you return to set "read only" on dc_bios.bin and dc_fash.bin
4. now you need an cd image of the game you want to use, a cd backup from the net (don't ask a link !), or a rip you have made from a gdrom (don't ask how to do that !).
so you have this cd image, daemon tools 3.29 allow you to use .cdi file, daemon tools 3.46 allow you to use .cdi and .nrg (until it's not a 6.x nero cd image)... but daemon tools 3.29 has the advantage to avoid lot of IO control error... you have to make a choice here...
5. you mount your image with daemon tools using the tray icon (icons near the clock in the windows task bar), you launch chankast and you select the virtual drive...
6. here 2 possibility, your image is selfbootable and the game start automatically, or the game is not selfbootable and the dreamcast automatically recognise it like an audio cd...
in the case where your game is not bootable, you have the possibility to make it bootable by using a selfboot program like fastboot, make selfboot, selfboot, dc-cdr, dir2boot, bin2boot, etc... (here you can use a lot of them, or you can use exoskeletor's GUI, lot of this tools are included)

do that...

Last edited:
OP
D

Darkice

Thanks for the help , nightmare.
I have already done everything u said but why do we have to unset read only for the dc_bios.bin and dc_flash.bin and also set it later.
Thats the only think i have not done so far.
Even after i used the exoboot program to convert non bootable disc resident evil code veronica into bootable , chankast still reads the disc as an audio disc , what is the reason for that ?

Nightmare

(when dream come true)
Darkice said:
why do we have to unset read only for the dc_bios.bin and dc_flash.bin and also set it later.?
it's aloww you to change the language in the bios (clock section), it's important because the language used by games is defined by the bios, and by doing this you don't have to always change the language... (of course you don't have to do this if you are spanish...)
Darkice said:
Even after i used the exoboot program to convert non bootable disc resident evil code veronica into bootable , chankast still reads the disc as an audio disc , what is the reason for that ?
then there is something wrong in the selfboot process, the exoboot gui is still under development and is not 100% effective, with exoboot you can try with "burning cd" option (on a cd-rw) because it doesn't use entirely the same selfboot process, or try another selfboot program, or use the utopia boot disc but it doesn't work with all games...