What's new

Banjo tooie random crash edition

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
For me the fps meter is above 60 (around 64 most of the time) but it's a bit choppy, good work by the team nonetheless! :)

Azimer

Emulator Developer
The Khan Artist said:
Tooie's copy protection isn't fully emulated. It still hits parts where it will crash, and I'm guessing that's your problem.

Of course, it may be something else...

It is indeed something else. The symptoms of copyright protection failure is when a messagebox pops up and blatently says there is a protection error. The symptom of copyright inaccuracy (like if I copied down the data wrong) would be music in the background or whatnot (usually audio lists will still be generated), but there will only be a black screen. If those are your symptoms then you may have a copyright protection error.

The Hedgehog

I have nothing to worry about crashes or stuff like that cause i got the actual catridge and console :) (i know it has nthing to do with what u are talking about but i dont care!)

Azimer said:
It is indeed something else. The symptoms of copyright protection failure is when a messagebox pops up and blatently says there is a protection error. The symptom of copyright inaccuracy (like if I copied down the data wrong) would be music in the background or whatnot (usually audio lists will still be generated), but there will only be a black screen. If those are your symptoms then you may have a copyright protection error. [/B]
Noone has reported this so far so the problem isn't the copyright protection.The truth is that the game just freezes in random places (I even got a freeze on the menu) so it must be the video plugin (but lol noone seems to want to say something with certainty for this - I mean from the ppl that know).

OP
jvolel

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
yes its the plugin problem is i can't find the other game i was playing that froze just like tooie did... and yes ultra it freezes not crashes

OP
jvolel

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
cooliscool said:
I got tooie last night and have not experienced one freeze, i'm using check memory advance, cf is 4, and all others are defaults.

what does the rom settings say exactly and are you sure it hasn't froze or anything?? have you been able to play from beging to end with no probs??

ancientblade

I have this problem too. The annoying thing about it is that you have to quit to save, so you can't explore those biiiiig worlds very long if you want to save regularly :( Besides I don't trust those savestates. I already heard that they sometimes screw up your savegames ... especially with psx emulators, wonder if it's true.

I use the european version and have also another problem. The game runs at smooth 50 fps (would be even more if i'd disable frame limiter) but it looks 'not smooth', like the frames are far below ... Wonder if it has something to do with the camera in BT, cauze in BK it's just fine and the camera doesn't sway so much. Do you have this problem too? Is the US version better in this area, because it runs with 60 fps? Plz tell me your experiences

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Again, this is how it is in the real thing! its not smooth how it is in reality, its not smooth in the emulator? ironic isn't it...

i've never had problems with save states, they've saved me from losing my banjo-tooie game on project 64 man a time, f5.. crashes sometimelater-maybe then reload rom and hit f7 and continue playing, i do it everytime i pick up a jiggy or went through a door, seems to work! :p

p.s (pj64 is not a psx emulator.. lol)

:pj64:

Actually to make justice to the real game,I have to say that indeed the game is a little bit jerkier on PJ.This is a known issue with Banjo Kazooie too and it seems that it affects Tooie too.
As for the save states it all depends from the game.If a game has no errors then the save states will be "clean" too.But if the game has many errors then the save states will be affected in the same way.

Please ppl can you test the game like this: Load the rom and let it play the intro with the title of the game appearing (do not press anything!).Then when it will go to the first demo let it play for a little and then when the "press start" appears press immediately the start button.Ok it will go to the screen where you choose your game.Don't press anything.Ok now,what do you get?

timisaledge

I have the U.S version and I have no problems apart from 2 random crashes but I just F5 frequently, and then use the ingame save and load back up as normal, it runs a bit slow on my PC about 40-50 fps most times but i do have a
P III 600E MHZ
TNT 2 M64 32 Mb
128mb NV RAM
Win 98:SE

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
i've done it 3 times and its done nothing.. just playing normally..
(i'm using cf=3 and advanced block linking off) :bunny:

ancientblade

Ok, even if it crashes, the game itself freezes and the emulator is locked. You should then exit via F12, if done so the game should be saved after the last location you entered.

ancientblade

Found a solution to the problem.

I think those pauses and crashes are the same. I mean, when the game pauses it seems like the cpu just has too much to do, even if i don't know yet if it is cause by the video plugin or not. Sometimes when it pauses, it just freezes.

To solve this: If BT freezes hit F2 to pause the emulation - wait some seconds - press F2 again and voila, the emulation goes on and you can advance in the game

Please test if it works for you too.

OP
jvolel

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
yeah i know what you mean ancientblade, i made a thread about that so to speak, i said how if you leave the game on for a few mins it will resume but then later on i left it on again and it turns out that the game isn't pausing for a long time it actually froze

Doctor Hades

The freezing problem in Banjo-Tooie with the JacobD3D6 video plugin is due a DirectDraw error - " Error 0x887601C2 - Error deleting zbuffer attachment". Check out the file called DirectDraw6 Error.log in the main Project64 folder. The freezing doesn't happen with the earlier DirectX 7 plugin. I suspect it's because it's a DX6 plugin being run under DirectX 8.1b (in my case) which is causing the problems.

Does anyone else have problems with a semi-transparent box appearing around Banjo and Kazooie in the game? It's mildy annoying but I've not seen any other posts about it so it may be just my machine. My Disabling Internal Geometry I can get the shadow to appear under B&K but the box is still there!

ancientblade

I don't get those driect draw errors or other problems, it runs just fine for me. There are only those pauses some times, which aren't so bad because the game doesn't crash.