What's new

audio

themind

a.k.a. hcs
That's *very* interesting... I'd never thought that those files might simply be PCM, could it be that simple? I'll take a look when I get a chance.
What seems most likely is that it's 16-bit big endian PCM, and you're able to play the 8 most significant bits. The weird repeating effect that you hear is the actual stereo interleave. This is based on what I hear in this file.

Last edited:

BazzatManBowlin

Bowling Dynamo
I posted this reply at the HCS forum, but I figured that I should post it here as well.

AIX2ADX works fine for the most part - it extracts three ADX streams from all the SEGA GT 2002 AIX files. To my knowledge, it's always one stream that sounds sort of like a combination of the two other streams, and the two split streams.

The only problem is that it never extracts the whole song. For instance, the menu theme (a 9.65MB AIX) extracts the three ADX files - all 545KB.

Here's a download link to a larger AIX that should loop (it does in the game).

Lightningxce

themind said:
That's *very* interesting... I'd never thought that those files might simply be PCM, could it be that simple? I'll take a look when I get a chance.
What seems most likely is that it's 16-bit big endian PCM, and you're able to play the 8 most significant bits. The weird repeating effect that you hear is the actual stereo interleave. This is based on what I hear in this file.

Majorly helpful, The pitch is off and a little speed issue(probably due to an incorrect sample rate, working on that now), but it's there, full stereo as well.

'Nother WMA;

http://xce.et-mod.com/rroadalmost.wma

Last edited:

themind

a.k.a. hcs
Still, there's an interleave issue, and the file should have in its header the sample rate specified. When I get home, where I have some AST files to test, I'll add this in to in_cube.
I looked at BGM01.aix, it seems that it starts up the three streams again after the AIXE header, which I thought indicated the end of file (it did with the other AIX I had). I'll see what I can do to get this one working properly.

themind

a.k.a. hcs
in_cube 0.18 beta 1 supports two ASTs I have from Double Dash, with looping. It turned out to be a headered block format like HPS (though with 16-bit PCM, and it doesn't loop itself like HPS so I had to do some inefficient reading for an accurate loop). Let me know how it works on other ASTs.

On the AIX front, I updated aix2adx to work on additional sections past an AIXE marker. Unfortunately there still wasn't any looping information, but since I promised looping I wrote another utility to do it.
The way the BGM01.AIX is structured is three streams, each in two sections (or "goround"s, as aix2adx calls them). The first section is what is played before the loop, the second section should be looped over its entire length. I wrote a program called adxloop which will rewrite the header for a nonlooping ADX to make it loop. It can also take another input ADX, which is the part that plays before the loop begins, which works well for these AIXs.
Here's how to use these tools (from the command line):

aix2adx BGM01.aix
adxloop BGM0100000.adx BGM0101000.adx BGM0100loop.adx
adxloop BGM0100001.adx BGM0101001.adx BGM0101loop.adx
adxloop BGM0100002.adx BGM0101002.adx BGM0102loop.adx

BGM01.aix is the original AIX. From it aix2adx will extract:
BGM0100000.adx, BGM0100001.adx, and BGM0100002.adx
which are the first sections of the three channels, and:
BGM0101000.adx, BGM0101001.adx, and BGM0101002.adx
which are the second sections of the three channels. adxloop takes the two sections of each channel, concatenates them, and loops for the length of the second section, creating a new file called BGM0100loop.adx (et al).
Let me know how this works (and sorry about the hard to read file names). I tested the generated files in in_cube, kode's foobar ADPCM player, and CinePak and it seems to work properly. aix2adx 0.1 and adxloop are both on the in_cube page.

Lightningxce

Yeah, I was viewing the thread just as you posted :p

Edit: Nevermind about loops not working, I had some of the settings messeg up, my bad on that one ^_^;

Last edited:

BazzatManBowlin

Bowling Dynamo
I posted this reply at the HCS forum, but for the sake of continuity, I'll post it here. As always, great work HCS. The ADXLoop utility works very well, from what I can tell.

Though, after some songs (it doesn't happen with all of them) go into their first loop, a large static blares. From there, it never stops.

However, this problem only seems to occur with in_cube (I used the latest beta - 0.18 b1). Playing the looped ADXs in the CinePak ADX player doesn't result in the static blaring loops.

I've got a DL link to one of the SEGA GT 2002 AIX files that produces the weird static loops (after using the tools) when listening to it with in_cube.

themind

a.k.a. hcs
in_cube 0.18 beta 3

Two things:
1) I had messed up in the file extension string, it wasn't terminated, this may have been what was causing the crashes with MP3s (for some)
2) I'm now looking at another location in the AST header for the loop flag, with the three MK:DD ASTs (two looped, one not) I have this seems to work consistently.

themind

a.k.a. hcs
Yo.
I did some work with AFC last night. It seems to be a 4-bit ADPCM with 9 byte frames (highest byte is scale, I think), the frame for the right channel immediately following the frame for the left channel. I have implemented VERY BROKEN support for it in 0.18 beta 4, including looping. Tested with the streams from Wind Waker.
Note again that the support is VERY BROKEN, it sounds like listening through a very poorly tuned radio, which is also broken.
I'm putting this up, along with the source, in the hope that someone with more ADPCM experience than me (which would be pretty much anyone with any experience at all...) can get it into working shape. Here's a sample stream from WW.

(once again crossposted from my forums, I hope no one minds?)

Low Lines

Yo sorry if I'm asking sometihng already said, but I'm too lazy to go through the entire thread, what format are the Super Smash Bros Melee voices in and how can I extract them into normal windows audio formats?? I've noticed there are a lot of programs here in this thread, but again I'm just too lazy to check.

If there isn't a possible solution for this, then I shall keep an eye out until there is...

thakis

If you're really interested, you will read this thread one day :) (come on, up until now it's only 5 pages).

themind puts a lot of effort in doing all this, so you could _at least_ take the time to check this for yourself instead of trolling aroung :angry:

themind

a.k.a. hcs
http://halleyscometsoftware.com/files/ssmex01.zip

The voices in Super Smash Bros Melee are in SSM files that SSMEx will extract into DSP files which can be played in Winamp with in_cube (which this thread is in a large part about). You can then use the Disk Writer plugin to write to a WAV or whatever.
SSMEx isn't perfect, so there might be junk at the beginning or end of some tracks.

Low Lines

Thanks a lot for the help:bouncy:

Yes I'm sorry again for not doing this myself, and I would just say that I did read about the first two pages and there seems to be a hell of a lot of different formats to choose from, (probably just another annoying attempt to make games hack-proof) but keep at it anyway...