What's new

Aristotle's Mudlord & Rice Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

gitech

N64 Artist
Hi Aristotle,

If it worked perfect and if I could retexture the text in CLOD...I would put in the time to redo all ~3000 textures! ;)

Thanks for the update. I hope your doing well.

Take care,
Jay

Cyberman

Also, created a second partition on my hard drive, and testing the plugin with the two emulators, and I too are running into many runtime file problems, and even memory access violations..Why this doesn't happen on my current install of windows (The install I've been using for a long time, I have lots of programs and runtime files installed and such) I think is because of everything I always use and install, helps fix these problems. This is what I'm currently looking into, is repairing these errors so everyone that could use Mudlords latest version, can use my version and other's versions, with this source code.
Yes the microsoft run time DLL's tend to catch the exceptions quietly instead of letting you know your pointers are in left field :D

And I think Rice is right about the memory problem. And also, I still think it would be best to rewrite the texture handling and dumping code, and make a new handling system for it, which unfortently will make it uncompatible with everyone's texture packs...Unless both cores are kept and an option to switch between them, I think would be best, if everyone would mind converting their texture packs to a new format, from scratch.
I suggest 2 plugins one for playing and dumping new packs, and one that generates both sets of CRC data simultaneously (IE it fakes creating the old CRC data and textures goiing through the motions). It generates 2 sets of data for cross referencing and then a seperate application and rename the thousands of files using the generated database. However before you go that route of rebuilding the texturing system, might be good to sit down and decide what way to do it and write it down in some document. It's faster sometimes to analyze what was done and beat it around a bit before starting something new. Partitioning off the Texture handling system from the GPU plugin is in itself a big under taking.

Bed time for me now.

Cyb

OP
A

Aristotle900

Repaired the debuging code, so now it compiles in debug mode too. Released it compiled with the last build. Check the first post in the topic to find it.

Also, I got my 512MBs of RAM. I now have 768MBs. ^^ Anyway, I've noticed a major improvement, and also some memory exception problems now, oddly, with texture loading...Hmm, will check that out, once I figure out this Runtime files headache.

And, I'm noticing other problems which I wasn't getting, till I installed the updated version of my video card drivers..Seems to do with the transparency handling code, in the rendering system. Hmm..

Mollymutt

I'll upload my version in a minute :p

My edit log is:
+ Added HQ2xS and LQ2xS filters by mudlord
+ Added a ability to check if texture is already in hires folder.
- Removed JPEG support.

Donwload

I tried your version, and when I check the box check the hires folder before dumping, it turns off the hires textures.

Keits

visit n64Redux.com!
Nice work, thanks for the plugin! I'm gonna try it out;

I have a mirror here for Aristotle_Video_Plugin_618 for those who dont like Rapidshare or waitingtimes! (Might want to put in first post :p)

Mirror <--- Click click!! :bouncy:

microdev

Exams are finally over, yehaa!

Had another glance at the sourcecode:
  • fixed the slowdown bug for textures with identical CRC appearing at the same scene.
    (black arrow)
  • (somewhat) fixed the bug preventing to load 4b textures dumped
    under "full TMEM emulation"=off to load under "full TMEM emulation"=on. (white arrow)
    It has to be evaluated if textures now always dumped with right CRC
    (never dumped textures so far...). If it works no tex-pack has to be redone.
  • Added code to prevent textures from being redumped if a hires texture already exists
    (has to be evaluated as I never dumped textures). death--druid: you don't have to
    reread the hires textures for that as they are already in memory. (you'll find them in gHiresTxtrInfos)
dgkyz7.jpg

Release will follow as soon as I get some time because now I have to prepare for exams-party.

@Aristotle900: Does the debug version work for you? Compiling has never been a problem for me but as soon as
hires textures are handled the debug version crashes on my system (no matter if DX8 or DX9, even the one of the
RICE version...). Thus I had to implement a logger. A working debug version would be far more handy though.

Last edited:
OP
A

Aristotle900

Exams are finally over, yehaa!

Had another glance at the sourcecode:
  • fixed the slowdown bug for textures with identical CRC appearing at the same scene.
    (black arrow)
  • (somewhat) fixed the bug preventing to load 4b textures dumped
    under "full TMEM emulation"=off to load under "full TMEM emulation"=on. (white arrow)
    It has to be evaluated if textures now always dumped with right CRC
    (never dumped textures so far...). If it works no tex-pack has to be redone.
  • Added code to prevent textures from being redumped if a hires texture already exists
    (has to be evaluated as I never dumped textures). death--druid: you don't have to
    reread the hires textures for that as they are already in memory. (you'll find them in gHiresTxtrInfos)
dgkyz7.jpg

Release will follow as soon as I get some time because now I have to prepare for exams-party.

@Aristotle900: Does the debug version work for you? Compiling has never been a problem for me but as soon as
hires textures are handled the debug version crashes on my system (no matter if DX8 or DX9, even the one of the
RICE version...). Thus I had to implement a logger. A working debug version would be far more handy though.

Wow..Great work there! :D

And it works for me, until I set it to load the High resolution textures..Odd, I never tested that till just now, and I have that problem with my version, and Rice's debug version. I'll look into it when I get the chance.

As for the runtime files, I don't understand how it needs the VC++ 7.0 or 7.1, plus whatever the version I'm using on the plugin, and 6.0? I don't understand that.

gitech

N64 Artist
Yeah, WOW!! :D

Great job!

You guys are one of the bright lights in my life. Thank you.

Now I have to finish the re-re-do of my Castlevania LOD pack!!! ;)

I see you don't have my latest "as is" pack yet microdev?

I can't wait to try it and help you with feedback if any problems arise.

Thanks again guys!

Jay

microdev

As for the runtime files, I don't understand how it needs the VC++ 7.0 or 7.1, plus whatever the version I'm using on the plugin, and 6.0? I don't understand that.

I think the easiest way to get rid of these runtime dependencies is the use of static linking. On the other hand this will increase the size of the resulting dll.

A more sophisticated way is described here.

OP
A

Aristotle900

I think the easiest way to get rid of these runtime dependencies is the use of static linking. On the other hand this will increase the size of the resulting dll.

A more sophisticated way is described here.

Ah, thank you Microdev. :) I'll read up on that after I get things done in person, and fix this problem right away. I don't care if the plugin is bigger, it's compressed greatly now with UPX anyway. I want it to work for everyone without these runtime hassles, even for me if I had to do a full clean install of windows, I'd be running into this mess myself, I'm seeing.

Hehe, I'm so glad you fixed the CRC problem! I'll include that in the release when you release it. :) Looks like I won't be making a different format for the texture system, now that you've fixed it. :D

gitech

N64 Artist
Yeah, it's awesome that you were able to fix the CRC slowdown problem!!!!!!!

Like I said, you guys are one of the bright lights in my life!!!

Jay

Mollymutt

Hey guys, it's great that you're on your way to finally making a plugin that works perfectly. I'm having a little problem with Paper Mario. It freezes around the point when Mario first meets up with Bowser. This happens with both PJ64, and 1964.

death--droid

Hmm I'm setting up a google code svn to try and keep this project inline.

http://code.google.com/p/aristole-video

PM me with your gmail account so i can add people asap.

EDIT:

Finished uploading of my source code version of Aristotle Video .
Now awaiting aristole and other dev's to send me there gmail so i can add them.

Last edited:

gitech

N64 Artist
Cool you started a google code svn!

What do you mean? The texture CRC slowdown thing?

I am here to support you guys with testing,
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.