What's new

Announcement: Cycle-accurate N64 development underway.

OP
MarathonMan

MarathonMan

Emulator Developer
Debian... I once intended to download and try it, but was scared away when I saw the full setup weighted 3 full DVDs. That, and the fact I've never got a hold of the Linux terminal, I mean, why couldn't Torvals just stick to the DOS style of command line?

Anyway, good to see progress being made on this.

Offtopic: You should never download the DVDs anymore. I just use a thumbdrive and download the 128MiB netinstall ISO and load it on a cheap flash drive. That's enough to get the setup started and load network drivers; you can then just download the few packages you need during install.

Also you just have to activate another virtual terminal if you want the command line. The installer is bound to the active VT; just switch with Ctrl+Alt+VT#.

Toasty

Sony battery
Methinks he means that he's never been very skilled at using the Linux terminal, not that he had difficulty accessing one during the Debian installation. Then again my intuition has been off before. ;)

F

Fanatic 64

Methinks he means that he's never been very skilled at using the Linux terminal, not that he had difficulty accessing one during the Debian installation. Then again my intuition has been off before. ;)
You're right. Plus I don't like web setups, because obviously you need a internet connection (and if the drivers aren't included or the server goes offline you can't install at all), and I like to have the full copy available at any time (and again, I suck at messing with the Linux terminal, I'm surprised nobody has made a "Beginner's Guide to the Linux terminal" or "Linux Command Prompt for Dummies" kind of thing).

Anyway, that's off-topic, I can write another day a "10 Reasons why Windows is better than Linux" article, with 100% original though from a lifetime Windows and frustrated Linux user.

OP
MarathonMan

MarathonMan

Emulator Developer
`Zelda: Ocarina of Time` starting to boot (with corrupted graphics).

The RSP is stablizing and I can finally get pictures out of some games.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2013-08-17 14:39:56.png
    Screenshot from 2013-08-17 14:39:56.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 157
  • Screenshot from 2013-08-17 15:02:03.png
    Screenshot from 2013-08-17 15:02:03.png
    99.6 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
OP
MarathonMan

MarathonMan

Emulator Developer
Wow, great! Next step, POLYGONS!

You shall ask and I shall deliver.

CEN64 is now capable of rendering 3D-graphics somewhat correctly, even for first-party titles.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2013-08-17 22:05:07.png
    Screenshot from 2013-08-17 22:05:07.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 170
  • Screenshot from 2013-08-17 22:05:25.png
    Screenshot from 2013-08-17 22:05:25.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 152
  • Screenshot from 2013-08-17 22:05:37.png
    Screenshot from 2013-08-17 22:05:37.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 172
OP
MarathonMan

MarathonMan

Emulator Developer
So what is the next step that you are working on MM?

- Fixing the issue where only some triangles are renderered.
- Finish implementing RSP functions so Turbo3D is fully functional.
- Finish vectorizing the RSP plugin.
- Start implementing a cycle-accurate model of the RDP (or just optimize MooglyGuy+MAME's RDP)
- Fix the cycle counts and make the emulator more accurate in general
- Write the audio plugin.

There's a whole slew of things I have on my plate. :)

Last edited:

ShadowFX

Guardian
Tttttttriple post.

Fixed the missing triangles issue. Mario Kart 64 now looks pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1F_rHXMaAc&feature=youtu.be

Encoded while running, so video looks much slower than it ordinarily is. Still not "playable" performance though.

ZnqQ5.gif

Mizox

so it won't be long before we can actually run games well... this is incredible.

btw. you said you were running that on your laptop... does that mean it's not your i7 CPU?

OP
MarathonMan

MarathonMan

Emulator Developer
so it won't be long before we can actually run games well... this is incredible.

btw. you said you were running that on your laptop... does that mean it's not your i7 CPU?

It's more or less nearly ready to run games as it is. Unfortunately, there's a bug somewhere in the core that causes ROMs based on some common library or something to stall before you actually start playing them (lots of games play their "intro" movies or whatever and then just seize up).

I was actually playing Star Fox 64 earlier today; controller and all. It was working great.

Just no audio on anything. :)

But once I figure out whatever bug is causing things to stall in the core (and I think it's related to the VR4300 somewhere), the vast majority of games should become at least somewhat playable.

On my i7 desktop, I get around ~40-50 VI/s for most ROMs. Not quite fullspeed. A lot of this can be attributed to the RDP, I think, though.

EDIT: Managed to fix the clipping bug today that occured when a 3d-model got close to the face (see Mario Kart 64 youtube video when the "Yoshi" signs close in on Mario; they clip badly). The intro now looks pretty much pixel for pixel the same as the console (mostly thanks to angrylion's accurate RDP), and runs pretty true to the console speed.

Last edited:

DETOMINE

Quite impressive to say the least.
I wonder if every games will run fine (doesn't mean 100% speed), that would be a big accomplishment.

Nintendo Maniac

The i7 desktop in question, that's not the 4770k right?

Also, z0mg dem JAGGIES! </half sarcasm> So when's the "force 640x480 hi-res mode" coming in? :p

Mizox

so I'm looking at the video again...

is it just me or have you not implemented bilinear/trilinear sampling yet? seeing as that was one of the major things that set apart the n64's 3d abilities from those of the playstation...