What's new

Announcement: Cycle-accurate N64 development underway.

F

Fanatic 64

Just curious, did this pass away? It would be a shame if the only cycle-accurate N64 emulator was abandoned...

Nintendo Maniac

While I didn't post, I too was concerned about project activity once Fanatic 64 brought it up. Then, like the previous poster said, I saw the last post was only a week ago...

Turns out that I just haven't been getting email notification, and yet I DID get notified about that particular post Fanatic 64 made, making me think that the whole time I wasn't getting notified that there weren't any actual postings.

Go figure.

beannaich

I don't mean to sound like the guy who claims to know things, but I've spoken with MarathonMan on IRC somewhat recently (Haven't seen him around lately, though I haven't been on in a few days, I assume he's busy with work). He seems very committed to this project, and it would very much surprise me if he gives up before it's at least running commercial games. As I recall he was pretty excited to start working on RDP emulation, though he isn't quite there yet. Anyways, the project isn't dead as far as I can tell, but don't take that as definitive. :D

OP
MarathonMan

MarathonMan

Emulator Developer
He seems very committed to this project, and it would very much surprise me if he gives up before it's at least running commercial games. As I recall he was pretty excited to start working on RDP emulation, though he isn't quite there yet.

Thanks. :)

I'll let work out if the project is dead... honestly, I just haven't gotten much of any time to work on it lately due to a lot of "real life stuff" getting in the way.

dazey238

I'll let work out if the project is dead... honestly, I just haven't gotten much of any time to work on it lately due to a lot of "real life stuff" getting in the way.

It lives!!! :p

LOL at people seriously questioning whether this project had died after a whole 11 days without an update. PJ64 just went 8 years between version releases, duh.

Just to add my name to the list of people regularly checking back for your updates on this though MM, very interesting and impressive work that you're doing! I think there are plenty of interested people like me reading but not commenting so your audience is almost certainly far larger than the regular responders here......

Rodimus Primal

Honestly a lot of folks need to learn some patience. You've been developing this thing for a while and have made serious breakthroughs but I can from first hand experience tell you that real life can certainly take a lot of time from something you love. Eventually you'll get the job done and we'll all be able to see an N64 emulator that runs not only effeicantly but also without all the glitches the rest have. Keep up the good work!

Nintendo Maniac

Is it not possible that Fanatic 64, like me, wasn't getting email notification of new posts even though the option was set, and therefore was under the impression that no new posts had been made for a while? I mean, the last email notification I had gotten before being notified of Fanatic 64's post was from March 7th!

Last edited:

beannaich

I didn't want to be presumptuous, and speak on your behalf. Hope you don't mind me doing so anyways. Take all the time you need, and make sure not to burn yourself out, I know how that goes all too well. :)

EDIT: Also I hope you don't mind me using your code as a reference for my PSX project. :)

Last edited:
OP
MarathonMan

MarathonMan

Emulator Developer
I didn't want to be presumptuous, and speak on your behalf. Hope you don't mind me doing so anyways. Take all the time you need, and make sure not to burn yourself out, I know how that goes all too well. :)

EDIT: Also I hope you don't mind me using your code as a reference for my PSX project. :)

No, no problem at all... you pretty much summed everything to a T!

Of course I don't mind... that's why I licensed it under the BSD! :)

Nintendo Maniac

So I just went back and read the 10 or so pages of posts that I wasn't getting email-notified about... and WHOA I missed a lot, particularly the source code, images, and video.

This brings me to my next question. All the images released to-date have been showing CEN64's display window to be 640x480. Is it actually forcing the N64's high-res mode and truly rendering at 640x480, or is it rendering at 320x240 and then just doing 200% nearest neighbor upscaling to 640x480?

Last edited:
F

Fanatic 64

So I just went back and read the 10 or so pages of posts that I wasn't getting email-notified about... and WHOA I missed a lot, particularly the source code, images, and video.

This brings me to my next question. All the images released to-date have been showing CEN64's display window to be 640x480. Is it actually forcing the N64's high-res mode and truly rendering at 640x480, or is it rendering at 320x240 and then just doing 200% nearest neighbor upscaling to 640x480?
It is rendering at 320x240 and doing 200% linear interpolation to 640x480.

DETOMINE

As far as I understand (and it isn't much), one could use FXAA anti-aliasing even with a software renderer, as it can be used as a post-processing effect.
Just a thought against "AA is impossible".
(An explanation of what FXAA is may be found here here.)
edit : add explanations

Last edited:

Nintendo Maniac

Like the first comment on that link said, SMAA is visually better than FXAA; LINK ~ FXAA vs SMAA Reference. Also, at least from the beginning, I would imagine it would be a much more elegant solution to just force high-res mode since said high-res mode must be implemented anyway. Of course, having both forced high-res + SMAA would be even better.

However, implementing non-N64 features like SMAA may be something that would make much more sense for the future-planned OpenGL render path.

Last edited: