What's new

animal forest translation?

GMwizard

To Wrench:

hey once the nintendo ds is released surely someone sumwhere wil create a emulator fer it since its not 2 different from the n64 (graphic wise) and with it the new animal crossing game that is being released will be an english translated rom

true... but that would be quite a while before someone figures out how to emulate a Nintendo DS, Their core is probably REALLY different then a nintendo 64 or a GBA, and probably more difficult. :huh:

To i_am_the_end:

do you know the specs for it
Specs for what? The Nintendo DS emulator isn't even out yet.

Last edited:

Quvack

wrench said:
hey once the nintendo ds is released surely someone sumwhere wil create a emulator fer it since its not 2 different from the n64 (graphic wise) and with it the new animal crossing game that is being released will be an english translated rom

I've thought about that too, but as the above post said it'll take quite some time for the DS to be emulated, and I'm sure it'll have a decent kind of protection on it unlike the GBA, as I'm sure Nintendo will want to protect this system a little more. Regardless of an official version coming out, that wasnt the point of the project :) Originally it was just a game I choose because it looked kinda cool, and I wanted to learn some more about rom hacking, 'translation' was just a nice little side effect of this.

Quvack

MasterPhW_DX said:
Yeah... and the side effect is a big & good thing for us... :p

Hehe we'll see what happens ;)

I've been messing around with the game a little more today and I'm finally starting to get a little better with ASM debugging/hacking so that should help with the font sizing problem thats holding me back from doing more of the 'project'.

GMwizard

Wow... Assembly must be hard, isn't it? I don't understand how you people can understand hexadecimals, what do they mean? I have no ideal how or what to do to edit them. You're very smart, if you understand all of that. I would never understand that.

Good luck!

Quvack

GMwizard said:
Wow... Assembly must be hard, isn't it? I don't understand how you people can understand hexadecimals, what do they mean? I have no ideal how or what to do to edit them. You're very smart, if you understand all of that. I would never understand that.

Good luck!

Thanks :) Yeah its tricky and I dont understand very much of it, but hopefully I shouldnt have to deal with it much more after this.

Quvack

GMwizard said:
How's Progress going? *P.S: I changed my Signature, hehehe...

Lol ummmm slowly! :whistling: University was keeping me really busy and I've been spending all of my holidays with friends, so not a great deal of time for it. I've hacked a few codes which will allow me to get a little bit more info about how the game works, but without the GC version to compare with I'm not gonna get very far at the moment.

SetzerQ

Hacking help

Quvack, I was also experimenting with hacking the ROM. I am just beginning and I only know some of the basics. for example. using a hex editor, finding text, using a table file, etc. Now I am trying to make a list of hex values for the hiranga syllables in romanji and use 'Thingy' to find the parts with the dialogue. Can you give me some hints for hacking this game especifically?

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
SetzerQ said:
Quvack, I was also experimenting with hacking the ROM. I am just beginning and I only know some of the basics. for example. using a hex editor, finding text, using a table file, etc. Now I am trying to make a list of hex values for the hiranga syllables in romanji and use 'Thingy' to find the parts with the dialogue. Can you give me some hints for hacking this game especifically?
Why you want to make a own translation?
You could try to help him in any way, but a new translation project seems sensless in my oppinion.

Guru64

I saw that they're doing a French translation too. Will you guys do a Dutch one too? I speak Dutch, so I could help with that.

Quvack

Guru64 said:
I saw that they're doing a French translation too. Will you guys do a Dutch one too? I speak Dutch, so I could help with that.

Dutch, lol I dont know Japanese let along Dutch. The problem with this game is when it was originally translated to English, supposedly they had to change a LOT of stuff so it'd make sence to people, because the Jap version was based a lot around the Jap style of life I imagine. Also the script for the game is huge.

I've been working on a tool which could make translating the game a little easier, but its no where near at a stage where it would be of any use to anyone, and my coding skills arent advanced enough yet to make it one to do a lot of the functions it'd need to be able to do. But time will tell I guess :)

SetzerQ said:

It's suprising how many people have looked in to hacking this game :) Ahhh hints, the best way is to just phuck around with it until you break something, that always helps me find out new things about it :p Nemu 0.8 has been extremly useful for all the stuff I've looked into so far, its debugger is amazing, if it were just a lil more stable on my computer It'd be perfect :p

Quvack

GMwizard said:
I find a program called SearchRx3 or something like that, to be quite useful in hacking roms.

Yeah that comes in pretty useful for tracking down text, I dont really have any issues with finding anything now though luckily, that was a pain in the ass originally :p Now I just gotta work out where what english goes where ;)

DeFessler

Any news on how this patch it coming? I got Duobutsu no Mori a while ago, had it on gamecube so I can understand kinda what to do. Any type of patch that could even translate some basic stuff like menus would be nice.

Quvack

I'll release a patch with what I've done, once I've figured out how to change the default font size, otherwise its gonna be a very half assed looking hack, which I'm not gonna do.

I've changed a few of the more common menu's to Engrish, but I'm not sure if its correct coz I dont know exactly what everything does :p It's a little annoying but meh!

GMwizard

ooh! Good job!

Well good luck on changing the font sizes, when do you think
you're going to release the first patch? Do you have an approximate
release date?

Quvack

GMwizard said:
ooh! Good job!

Well good luck on changing the font sizes, when do you think
you're going to release the first patch? Do you have an approximate
release date?

No idea :p I havent had much time/care to work on the 'project' lately, I'll probably work on it a little bit soon, but I've no idea how long it'll take me to find the font stuff, I've found the general area of code for the font stuff but dont understand it a lot yet.

Bordem.. only changed a few little things, but I only just started. I doubt I'll do anything more than a few menu's and maybe some graphics, the game is pretty straight forward anyways, doesnt really need much brains to be playable even with the jap dialog. (kinda off-topic i guess but meh :p)

Still kinda working on Animal Forest, but I cant do much more at the moment, dont understand a few things, and lack of Japanese isnt helping, and the script is huge and with my skills/effort its not gonna happen anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
If you can dump the script you might be able to hand it to someone who can translate it for you and reinsert it into the rom afterwards. problem is finding someone to do it :p