What's new

animal forest translation?

swearinhagen

I did a screenshot tour if you want to see where the game is at.
It's right here: Shazam!

Let me say that this is amazing! I hope the kinks get worked out of this in a relatively short time. It's practically done!

I wish I could help, but I havn't done asm in a long time, and even then I was no expert.

zoinkity

Newest update: January 23rd, 2009

January 2009 Animal Forest Update
Newest patch is uploaded to:
http://www.geocities.com/nefariousdogooder/AF/AFProjectDistro.zip

+_+

Changes:
  • Catalog now pretty much translated
  • Debt repayment screen translated
  • Package text displays reordered; 8 letter names permitted
  • The english text wheel is now lower-case. It was just too loud...
  • Dialog fixes:
    • Eliminated references to the basement to avoid crashbug
    • Eliminated certain menus from train. Should avoid crashbug
    • Famicom game dialogs no longer loop endlessly
    • Corrected unreferenced jumps in post office. Might work right now
    • Dialog when travelling should no longer loop
    • Switched all instances of 'Memory Slot' to 'Controller Pak' (hopefully)
    • Switched all instances of 'NES' to 'Famicom'
  • Bugs squashed:
    • Fixed mempak manager. No more corrupt saves when you delete stuff!
    • Bugfix to name recall routine
    • Bugfixes to text recall routine
    • Bugfix for clock time entry. Hours and minutes (should) loop properly
  • Translated a few item names for convenience

Documentation:
  • In the readme: (BEFORE YOU EVEN THINK OF PATCHING.txt)
    • There's now a list of known bugs and their lethality. Bugs specific to console and emulation are seperated.
    • The known limitations of the famicom emulator are noted.
    • MemPak requirements are listed.
  • Added 'AF Gameshark.txt'. It lists some gameshark codes, and if you're playing it on console, the enabler you'll need to

use it.
  • Updates to:
    • ROM ASM Correspondance.txt
    • Index.txt
    • Superscript writting routine.txt
    • (sorry, I lost track. Some others as well)

Resources:
  • Several new images
  • New Binaries:
    • 729AA0: debt repayment screen
    • 8F3580: debt repayment resources
    • 72E420: MemPak management screen
    • 72F5D0: catalog
    • 926840: catalog resources
    • 7CB830: Post Office

-Zoinkity

MaximillionFace

It would be nice if every release of the patch didn't immediately explode your bandwidth...

I would be willing to mirror it, if I could actually download it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I managed to get it.

Also, regarding the .ups format, it was created by byuu, and it was first used with the Mother3 translation, I believe.

Last edited:

Aura_K

Doubutsu no Mori e+
Regarding the .ups format, it was created by byuu, and it was first used with the Mother3 translation, I believe.
Indeed, that's exactly right! Another project planning to release its future patches in .ups format is Pokemon rijonAdventures, a hack of Pokemon FireRed.

...Incidentally, you can use the Mother 3 UPS patcher with this patch if you rename the patch to "mother3.ups" and place it in the same folder as the Mother 3 one; quite convenient if you need a quick patching GUI.

stev418

nice :) trying to get this working on my wii, It injects fine into a VC wad, and also into the exp-n64v2 emulator ISO, but I can only get sound, no picture :(

My TV can hanle all formats, and ive had my wii set to NTSC and also PAL 480i 480p and 576i

Anyone have any ideas ??

zoinkity

Not so brief message...

No update this time. Sorry!

However, I did want to mention one thing about item name length extension. I've thought up a crazy way to make it work.

To get everyone on an equal footing, item names are all 10 characters long - no more, no less. They are used for a lot more than just displaying the names of items when you stand over them and when they're in inventory. There's a table dubbed the text controller, found at 80142410. It keeps track of what text is to be displayed, possible colors, color in use, special switches for 7F commands, and most notably, a table of item and character names for the current tasks. When, say, a line of text uses 7F21 to display the name of some item, what it is really doing is looking up a copy of that item's name from this table. The names are implanted as soon as you ask for the task at hand.

The trouble is that each entry in the table is only 10 characters long. That's fine for names, sure, but that limits the length of the strings for items. Also, entries can't be removed without damaging the task manager routine, and they can't be easily repositioned anywhere else at runtime. Normally, we'd be stuck with what we have. Gloomy, no?

So, the possible fix:
Since the strings themselves will never fit, ever, in a million years, we won't store strings!
Instead, each slot will consist of two values: a string length, then a ROM codeword for the string entry.
Code:
0x0	1	flag
0x1	1	strlen
0x2	4	ROM codeword for string
0x6	4	reserved
Instead of directly reading the string, it will look them up on-demand from ROM. That's basicly the way the item name lookup works when you hover over stuff. Surprisingly similiar ;*)

This involves hacking the task manager itself and all the 7F commands that look up strings. (Aegh...) It also involves redesigning the item string lookup routine to accept a table and getting everything else to accept +that+. The buffer for item names on inventory will need to be extended, the bubble generators completely rewritten (they assume some ratio of 10 character), and about a billion other little changes that aren't so very obvious. Oh, yeah, and it +will+ break your save files! (Aeghity aegh...)

The same thing will also be done with those sound-name catchphrase things. 8 characters is not enough... Besides, since they are saved at town gen, altering the text will never alter it in play! Evil! Pure Evil!

What's this mean to you?
It means there is a pending fix for item names, but it will not come any time soon. Expect it months from now, at best.

The bad news section...
There is bad news though. Almost all the messages, postscript, and superscript for messages... well, that's looking really gloomy. Reduction will be necessary there. The concern is FLASHRAM, and to a lesser degree mempaks.
FLASHRAM does not just keep copies of your messages. It also keeps copies of NPC messages in their own NPC data, and the size is constant. In fact, it can't be anything but constant. NPCs can recall the letters and do, so you can't just blast an entry or two of their data. Every last byte of FLASHRAM is utilized so you'd have to remove content to add anything, but due to the sheer number of entries that there are, adding one byte to every one of them would require removing a whole message. Plus, there must be consistancy between the mesage board, gyroid, and mail, because all use the same typewriter code.
Long story short, we'll just have to reduce some stuff.

In the not-so-very-bad new section (unless you're coding it, maybe), proper text wrapping is only a matter of time. It requires a bit of a redesign to the system, but it can be set to use an anticipated right tabstop. Their method (like so many others) assumed 16 characters per line, but the actual width can be tested against a stop value instead. Naturally, a return would also linebreak. Messy though.

One last thing...
I'm taking it upon myself to do two things to the game:
  1. Replacing "DK Jr. Math" with "DK Jr." Seems more fun. The combo cart was an option, except it only had two Jr stages and the more annoying math ones. Just be thankful I didn't choose DK3. That game was horrible! If you like, you could replace it with the US DK Jr. Math instead, but I really, really hate that game. Now, a NES port of Number Munchers would be awesome ;*)
  2. Replacing the "16x6 ruled" stationary with the blue-line ruled notebook paper we all known and love. Why? Due to variable-width fonts, the 16x6 ruling no longer coincides with where text is drawn. (it looks spooty)
Both changes will be effective in the next patch release.

oniryu246

please fix link it says cant be found on so yahoo site lol.

Actually, the link works. You see, you have to (or at least I had to) right click it, and go to properties. You will see its full address their. Simply copy and paste it to your address bar and hit search, it should start downloading. Tell me if you cant get it to work, I could email it to you. ;)

MaximillionFace

You said the name length fix will take months.

Will you be working on that along side the translation hack, and then implementing it later, or will we have to wait until that hack is done for the next release?

Mario494

Help plz!

Hey Zon gr8 work but i got a problum i downloaded new patch but i dont know what to do with it. can you help a noob out lz : ) like step by step.
Thanks

ReplayTy

Super Mario RPG master
Retexture of Animal Forest underway!

alright, so you may have seen my talk and things on Animal Forest, but I started it, and the retexture is up and running in the High Resolution Textures forum. so stay tuned at the board! (In partnership with the translation...hopefully)

son_bon123

Hello everyone.

Ive been playing animal crossing for a few years now on the cube. My first version was a AUS import. It was pure fluke as I worked in a games shop and someone came in to trade it. I didnt know what the games was about but bought it anyway. What a great find. Well anyways about a year back I found out that it was first a ns4 game. I have the rom but up until now no patch. I finally got round to looking for a patch which has brought me here. I havent read all 60 pages of this thread but have had a quick skim through. I admire your dedication to this project. I would like to offer my help but not sure if there's anything Im capable of doing. I know very little about roms except how to play them. However if there is ANYTHING I can do to help I will do my best.

There is a few things you might be able to help me with. I have an early version of the patch but again not knowing anything about roms & patching them I got a bit stuck. I've tried to patch using lips program but no luck. I have now read about a program called IPS win. I will be trying that tonight when I get home. my question is: Is there a easy way for a noob like me to apply the patch to the rom?

My second question is: I know it's work in progress but is the link on page 52 the most updated verion of the patch?

Again if there's anything at all I can do to help I will but as you can probably gather from the questions above I really am a noob to this.

Many Thanks.

Makar

Website?

Suggestion: Why don't you make a website for this project? use a free host and domain or something. You good use it to post download links, FAQ's, instructions, or make a blog to post all new updates and stuff. It would be much better then posting everything in this small thread.

zoinkity

True. Preferably someone else could do that, since after the 10 mile bike ride here I only get about an hour to do everything I need to do stuff in.

Hey! Excellent! Who wants to make a website!

Also, PM me if you want to distribute the patch file and documentation stuff! Two downloads in one hour is enough to exceed my bandwidth, and that's just the AF stuff... So, please, pretty please, if you want to distribute PM an email at me and I'll send the updates at you.

+_+

If all you can do is play the game: Excellent! That's one huge thing we can use! In particular, it would be nice to know how to trigger certain things, like the end credits, or the different naming dialogs, or point out when certain error messages come up, or find those nasty evil glitches! Curse you snowman!

^_^

Next patch release (not the one today), I'll have a nice clear document on how to patch your game's rom. It's a ups patch (Byuu's new format), since ips can't handle a file this big, but good news is that the patcher is provided. Also, if your rom is shorter than 256Mb, you'll need to extend it. Here's the thing in brief though:

How to extend a rom to 256Mb
  1. In the zip, go in the programs folder and extract extracto.exe
  2. Drag-&-drop your rom onto extracto.exe
  3. After byteswapping and copying the file (which can take a bit), it will ask you if you want to extend it to 256Mb. Type 'y', as in yes. If it already is that large, just type 'n'

Patching the Extended Rom
  1. In the zip, extract the most recent patch from the main directory. It's name is always follows the pattern: NAFE-WIP-month-day-year.ups
  2. In the zip, go in the programs folder and extract ups.zip
  3. Extract ups.exe from the ups.zip file
  4. Run ups.exe. Select the button in the bottom left that says apply patch
    • On the original file line, use the extended rom filename
    • On the patch line, use the patch filename
    • Type in a good, solid name for your output file. Something decent, preferably

Bugfix to January release!
http://www.geocities.com/nefariousdogooder/AF/AFProjectDistro.zip

• Corrects mail postscript text runover error that can cause locking when new messages are created. This can occur during play or (most commonly) when loading a player's data at the orange screen.
  • Added message on 'fixing' damaged save files
  • Corrected a dozen lines of corrupted file-related text
  • Created new text dial character promotions; use '-' + R button to make '=', needed in one Resetti response. (eats words from before...)
  • Grouped english punctuation and placed it before japanese punctuation

!_!

Sorry, sorry. Turns out that the '=' wasn't on the dial after all. It is the only character that isn't on the dial, and at least one of Mr. Resetti's responses requires it. To solve this, use the dash and press the 'special' R button to turn it into a equal sign. I couldn't resist adding in a few more promotions, just because it is easy and sorta cool:
Code:
.	fullstop
,	ideographic comma
'	"
(	<	ideographic quote
)	>	ideographic enquote
_	-	=

+_+

About item name length extension: I've thought up a crazy way to make it work, and if the fix can be applied, it might just solve the issue of character catchphases, postscripts, superscripts, and a host of other line-length problems. It's a bit involved to explain, but the idea is to only store something to look up the text and load it when it needs to be read, as opposed to printing it in its entirety. That should get around the fixed-space issue in the save files, which buggers everything. Here's hoping it pans out.

&_&

One last thing...
I'm taking it upon myself to do a few things to the game:
  1. Replacing "DK Jr. Math" with "DK Jr." Seems more fun. In AF they used the japanese-localized title screen, so it would have needed swaping either way. The combo cart (JR+Math) was an option, except it only had two Jr stages and the more annoying math ones. Just be thankful I didn't choose DK3. That game was horrible! If you like, you could replace it with the US DK Jr. Math instead, but I really, really hate that game. Now, a NES port of Number Munchers would be awesome ;*)
  2. Replacing the "16x6 ruled" stationary with the blue-line ruled notebook paper we all known and love. Why? Due to variable-width fonts, the 16x6 ruling no longer coincides with where text is drawn. (it looks spooty) Incidentally, this stationary was removed from Animal Crossing.
  3. Changing the second and third loan values to 148000 and 398000 instead of 49800 and 498000. The same change was made in the re-released DnM+ if you can really trust wikis. You still wind up paying about the same in the end, but it gets distributed a little fairer. Why? I paid off the first two loans on a new file in just under 3 hours without any effort.
Changes will be effective in the next patch release (not this one). However, if there is a nasty outcry, I'll leave them to the side.

-Zoinkity

Last edited: