What's new

animal forest translation?

Aura_K

Doubutsu no Mori e+
I thought most of the frequent posters here are involved in the projet. XP

Well, it used to be that way, but the last semi-important thing I did was basically posting the Animal Crossing/Dobutsu no Mori e+ text banks for Zoinkity. :p

If I recall correctly though, once Zoinkity is done getting the text set up properly, people can help by, er... "localizing" text from the GC version to fit with N64 terminology.

Last edited:

X-Fi6

Well, it used to be that way, but the last semi-important thing I did was basically posting the Animal Crossing/Dobutsu no Mori e+ text banks for Zoinkity. :p

If I recall correctly though, once Zoinkity is done getting the text set up properly, people can help by, er... "localizing" text from the GC version to fit with N64 terminology.
Sweet! That means we won't have to rely on you "official" guys to do all the translation for us—the community can help :D

FlotsamX

We really should NOT let people waltz in here and tell us what the phrases we can't figure out mean. We need to find translators that have verification behind them, like working for a ROM translation project. I've seen people say they can "speak Japanese" when all they really know how to do is copy and paste and use Babelfish.

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
We really should NOT let people waltz in here and tell us what the phrases we can't figure out mean. We need to find translators that have verification behind them, like working for a ROM translation project. I've seen people say they can "speak Japanese" when all they really know how to do is copy and paste and use Babelfish.

....Isn't there an English translation of the Game Cube one and that's the whole damn point? They meant localize by adapt them from the changes, If I'm not mistaking. Pay a little more attention.

FlotsamX

Not angry. You just seem to be always a little off about what things mean.a

Because the ONLY time I can seem to get a conversation going on with Americans (which they always turn out to be) is at 3 A.M.

PirateValerie

Edit:

Toms Tasks for those who can't understand:
1st. Put on the uniform.
2nd. Meet Everyone.
3rd. Deliver.
4th. Write a letter.
5th. Do errands for people, when you talk to them it's the first response.
6th. Deliver.
7th. Deliver.
8th. Post on bulletin, and then you are done. After that you can give the post office a few money to progress the payment nook needs.

------------------

Easy way to remember people with un-translated names:
Write their names down on a paper and put a small description besides the name that you can remember fast and easy.
Example:
alfjalfk- Teddy bear

Pay attention to when tom nook is talking he would color the names. Look at the paper and wa-lah you know who to deliver/send a message to :) You can use this method the same way for errands.\:D/

Last edited:

spoondiddly

Okay, turns out the filename path was too weird for the emulators to load. Guess they can only manage when there's one %specialdirectory% in a line, not two, like that makes any sense...

Now fixing the major kill bug. It only requires completely rewriting the virtual addressing scheme used to look up all the resources stuffed in this game. There's a cap to the addresses before they become invalid, you see... Due to space restrictions all the new stuff is going at the end of the index.
I'm also simultaneously fixing three crash bugs in Goldeneye, two of which I'm personally responsible for. Apparently dynamically-generated ASM crashes emulators when they cache commands.

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Okay, turns out the filename path was too weird for the emulators to load. Guess they can only manage when there's one %specialdirectory% in a line, not two, like that makes any sense...
That is definitely strange...

Now fixing the major kill bug. It only requires completely rewriting the virtual addressing scheme used to look up all the resources stuffed in this game. There's a cap to the addresses before they become invalid, you see... Due to space restrictions all the new stuff is going at the end of the index.
That does NOT sound easy :p I guess I'm not really into N64 hacking (because I wouldn't know where to start) but I have to be honest, it sounds hard to do this for anything.

I'm also simultaneously fixing three crash bugs in Goldeneye, two of which I'm personally responsible for. Apparently dynamically-generated ASM crashes emulators when they cache commands.
Huh? What are you changing that effects other games? I didn't know that you were modifying an emu if you were.

spoondiddly

I have nothing to do with emulators (thankfully). However, I've done a lot of disassembly work on Goldeneye to help with the Goldeneye Setup Editor project. The editor does quite a bit behind your back, like silently hacking the image list to be half the size. That caused a bug that made the impacts when walls are fired on to go schitz which just now was patched up. Then there was an issue with tile naming in pad files that would cause stages to fail loading, bad math when pads smaller than 3 points are used, an issue with certain image lookup functions not patched to look past 3000 images, some bad coding on Rare's part that tests to see if divsion by zero will occur after you do the actual division, something tied to random bodies (just fixed that one).

Most recently, there's an issue with file injection editor-side, and with getting it to accept a brutally-reduced string matchup system to reduce the size of the main compressed binary so it can later be increased when more PD stages are injected in.

So, long story short, it sucks down a lot of time. Too much really.

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
I have nothing to do with emulators (thankfully). However, I've done a lot of disassembly work on Goldeneye to help with the Goldeneye Setup Editor project. The editor does quite a bit behind your back, like silently hacking the image list to be half the size. That caused a bug that made the impacts when walls are fired on to go schitz which just now was patched up. Then there was an issue with tile naming in pad files that would cause stages to fail loading, bad math when pads smaller than 3 points are used, an issue with certain image lookup functions not patched to look past 3000 images, some bad coding on Rare's part that tests to see if divsion by zero will occur after you do the actual division, something tied to random bodies (just fixed that one).

Most recently, there's an issue with file injection editor-side, and with getting it to accept a brutally-reduced string matchup system to reduce the size of the main compressed binary so it can later be increased when more PD stages are injected in.

So, long story short, it sucks down a lot of time. Too much really.

So what you're saying is, you're modifying the code so it can handle the extended space in the ROM, and while doing so, you realized a bug in the Goldeneye Setup Editor? I'm just trying to make sense of this. I can understand the programming aspects fine (and it's cool that you can understand all of this code purely with disassembly) and it sounds like N64 games were hackishly programmed (and that wouldn't surprise me at all)

spoondiddly

At least three of the glitches mentioned were in the code I had added to GE to allow added content. So, they're really my own fault. Yes, the game gets hacked to reduce the size of certain tables so more entries can fit in the same space. Crazy stuff, really.

Most N64 games were programmed fairly well. Some aspects of GE weren't though, at least when it came to multiplayer.

The story goes that a month before release they asked if they could add a multiplayer, and were promptly told no. So, they added one anyway (obviously) - or I should say one programmer spent the next week or two hacking it into the existing code. So, obviously it's not going to be pretty. In fact, it breaks a few things...

Volsfan91

Herro everyone.

I have a friend who is fluent in Japanese who is willing to help with the translation.

We're both emulator users and have messed around with some pretty technical stuff before, but we're not at the level of where we could hack in the text ourselves.

Basically what I need is this: plain Japanese text sent to me. I can promise that I can get it back in a fairly timely manner translated into good English.

If anyone wants to dump some text and forward it to me, just email me:

[email protected]

I would also like to suggest that this project gets a Wiki; I can even host it if need be.

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Well, There is little translation needed if i understand correctly, because the Game Cube English release contains nearly all of the strings that the N64 game contained (Again I could be wrong). They may need adaption, and that may require translation, but I honestly have no idea about that.

The larger issues that the project is having is the actual injection of the translation and adapting the code - spoondiddly appears to be the main/only one working on it right now, but appears to be doing a good job.

Last edited: