What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

An idea about ci textures [to rice]

Leonardo20

I don't know anything about programing... but i have an obvious idea:
Its possible to add some code to your plugin so its loads up de ci textures with unlimited colors instead of a limited pallete?

I dont know speak english too! :icecream:

optimus$prime

i also think that this would make working on ci textures much easier
and ci textures would look much better in game

Poobah

Yeah, surely it wouldn't be very hard to change the plugin to use truecolour textures. And even if that were hard, Rice could still make the program generate an optimised pallete for the texture and load it in colour-indexed mode.

Rice

Emulator Developer
The thing is that the color pallette could change in the game for the same texture.

I gave the example before for the sky texture in Zelda OoT, the same sky texture changes its color from light red to blue by changing the color pallette. In such situation, the texture must remain in CI format and the pallette of the hires texture must be exact the same as the original texture pallette. If we don't use the same pallette, we will have bad textures after the pallette is changed in the game. If we use RGB texture instead of CI texture, the texture won't change color as it supposes to do.

But, the usage of CI textures in other games could be different. If the pallette of a texture in a certain never changes, then it should be fine to replace the CI texture with a RGBA texture.

Rice

Emulator Developer
Yes, it is the way we have now. We don't have a image for the CI texture. Instead, we actually have an array of color indexes (or the B&W image as you call it). The array of color indexes are converted to RGBA image when the game applies the pallette.

neo64

BTW: What is this thing called "CIbyRGBA"? Is it a function to use normal RGBA pngs to replace the ci-textures? If so, how is it done?

Noxious Ninja

Rice: Would it be possible to dump the textures as, say *_ci_palettehash? That way, you would have one RGB/RGBA texture for every combination of ci texture + palette. For games that actually do change the palette, it would mean more textures to edit, but it would give a lot more editing possibilities.

Rice

Emulator Developer
Noxious Ninja said:
Rice: Would it be possible to dump the textures as, say *_ci_palettehash? That way, you would have one RGB/RGBA texture for every combination of ci texture + palette. For games that actually do change the palette, it would mean more textures to edit, but it would give a lot more editing possibilities.

I guess you have not tried the new beta versions.