What's new

AGP 2X Card compatibility

skull1

im9i7
I've read that a Voodoo 3 2000 is an agp 2x card and somebody is selling me a second it to me for $12. My friend said that it wouldn't work on new agp slots.
is that true?

ra5555

N64 Newbie
thats a rip off! I mean yea even for $12. I got a GF2MX 200 for only $15CAN from a friend (about $9US)

check out pricewatch.com

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
NO! It will NOT work in all new AGP slots!

AGP is not 100% reverse-compatible.

Voodoo3 is a 3.3V AGP card; it won't work in any Intel Pentium 4 AGP4x chipsets, nor will it work in nearly any AGP 8x chipsets at all...

Eagle

aka Alshain
Yeah like Tangrineth said and also 8x AGP is so tempramental, even several nvidia 4x AGPs wont work with some 8x mobos

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
gokuss4 said:
Voodoo3 is better than a GF2 MX 200 definitely

I praised the Voodoo5 to death, defend it at every possible (and reasonable) opportunity, am an active member at x3dfx, was a member of the 3dhq 'Brood', and am pretty anti-nVidia overall.

But I have to disagree with that statement.

Voodoo3 is only better than a GeForce2 MX200 in GLide games, and Half-Life. For EVERYTHING else, the GF2MX is going to own the V3 in features, speed, and most especially compatibility.

Frankly though, I have trouble recommending either of those to anyone today anyway =) But if it's a choice between V3 and GF2MX, even some of the most loyal 3dfx defenders, it's GF2MX, unless you only want to retro-game.

milen

Voodoo3 and GF2MX 200, not much difference in DirectX,Opengl.Geforce is some times more compitable but is very very very very slow. Voodoo3 + Glide - LOL, no comments needed.
Unreal Tournament seriously rocks on Voodoo3

ceedj

Pencil Neck Geek
I've had my Voodoo 3 for about 3 weeks now. I can't say weather it's BETTER than my GF2MX or not, because each card does different things better.

I've tested with Sims Unleashed, NHL2002, Death Rally, Need For Spped III and a host of N64 emus.

The N64 stuf works best with Glide64 (obviously) on the Voodoo.

Death Rally wouldn't even work on the GF.

The other games were about the same on either card. The GF looked "prettier"; it seemed like the graphics were smoother overall (no antialiasing), while the Voodoo is just TONS faster, esp on NHL2002.

I am EXTREMELY annoyed that I got ripped off for my Voodoo. Never going to those guys again.

Let's just say I paid WAY more than I should have...

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
milen said:
Voodoo3 and GF2MX 200, not much difference in DirectX,Opengl.Geforce is some times more compitable but is very very very very slow.

Ya, I remember you saying that a few months ago. And I also remember showing you benchmarks that show the exact opposite. And yet you still don't get it.

milen

Try Geforce2MX at 1280x1024 with game like Quake3 :D. Geforce2 GTS is great card, but Geforce2MX is fitting only your trash. If I need upgrade some day I'll buy Radeon9100 which is very good card.

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
milen said:
Try Geforce2MX at 1280x1024 with game like Quake3 :D.
Oh, and you're saying that a Voodoo3 can handle Quake3 at 1280x1024? I had a Voodoo3, and it can't play anything at an acceptable frame rate with resolutions higher than 1024x768, definitely not Q3A at the highest settings.

milen

It can handle Quake3 in 1280x1024, very good frame rate, but not in highest settings on my Duron 1200@1440, 158mhz sdram 2-2-2.

If you are using the newest drivers for both cards, the Geforce 2 mx is a little faster, but supports more graphic-modes too.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
DuDe said:
Oh, and you're saying that a Voodoo3 can handle Quake3 at 1280x1024? I had a Voodoo3, and it can't play anything at an acceptable frame rate with resolutions higher than 1024x768, definitely not Q3A at the highest settings.

A Voodoo3 1000 OEM can run Unreal Tournament playable at 1600x1200. =)

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Bloody nitpicking. Let me rephrase it : a Voodoo can't run shit at high settings and high res, unless it's built for glide, OK? Want proofs? Try Giants, RTCW, MOH:AA (yeah, I'm throwing in games that I tried running when i still used the Voodoo3).

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
DuDe said:
Bloody nitpicking. Let me rephrase it : a Voodoo can't run shit at high settings and high res, unless it's built for glide, OK? Want proofs? Try Giants, RTCW, MOH:AA (yeah, I'm throwing in games that I tried running when i still used the Voodoo3).

You're also throwing in games that don't run on a Voodoo5 well, mostly due to driver problems. :flowers:

And judging by my Voodoo2 SLI, I guarantee a Voodoo3 can run Quake3:Arena at max settings at 1024x768 with a great frame rate... still respectable at 1152x864... and still playable at 1280x1024. =)