What's new

About GC emulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Vchat20 said:
hmm. for the art copyright's, if it is possible. change the color of a singlepixel in each image. that should work. it is a different image isnt it?
No. That's not even a gray area. It's the same as saying that rom hacks (like translated roms) are different from the original material, and therefore can be distributed freely, which is wrong.
You see, changing a single pixel would still mean that 99.999999% of the image are still the same as it used to be.

scotty

The Great One
Emulating a gamecube would be awesome. There is one problem, Nintendo took every step to prevent anyone from taking the action of creating an emulator for PC, they had it happen to NES, SNES, and N64, they do not want it to happen here. I give it 5 years before they actually have a Gamecube emulator out that works perfectly. I know if I was in their position I would do the same. Playstation 2 will come in 2 years, and Xbox 3 years if you ask me.

DreamlanD

Hmmm, 5 years? I tend to be a bit more optimistic :saint:. I would say much sooner than what you listed for PS2 and X-Box, though getting them to a decent speed will require some pretty hefty hardware. Can't really say for the GC, since the discs haven't even been read yet. We don't really know how complicated the games are/how much of the GC's power they're using as of yet.

ector

Emulator Developer
Tagrineth, i can't believe that you, a quite smart person otherwise, believe in the stupid rumours that xbox discs are written backwards :) That rumour has come up for all consoles since the Saturn and has been wrong every single time..

It has already been shown possible to get the xbox connected to a fully normal PC DVD drive to read xbox discs by using hacked firmware for the drive.. next step would be getting that to work with a drive connected to a PC, should definitely be possible..
Anyway it doesn't matter much since it's dead easy to rip the contents of xbox discs, all you need is a chipped xbox, an Evo-X CDRW disc, and FTP client and an ethernet cable..

http://www.caustik.com/xbox/
http://www.caustik.com/xbox/progress.htm

Yes, it is real, and will probably be starting to partially run commercial games in a few months.

And sorry all for bringing even more xbox talk into this thread:/

For various reasons, I am 100% sure that emulation of the gamecube will eventually become reality. How soon? i dare not guess, but games need to be dumped first.. there are rumours of dumping being done but I have seen no proof so far.

jack

Vchat20 said:
umm. I think he was talking about Gamecube discs and not xbox. please read it completely.

Please be silent. Ector is no ordinary poster. He is one of the coders for the Dreamcast emulator, Icarus, so give him some respect.

FYI, Tagrineth did indeed state Xbox DVD's read backward. YOU should go back and read it.:baaa:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Truth be told, I've never actually looked at the underside of an Xbox DVD... so I had no reason to doubt they were written backwards until now. Thanks for the correction. :flowers

Vchat20

Still, there should be no reason that Xbox emulating wouldnt be possible. just mod an xbox, use the ftp feature to transfer a DVD to your PC, burn to a correct DVD and you are set that way. the Gamecube is much harder since noone has found a way to crack it.

ector

Emulator Developer
hm, how would you (with your bare eyes) see the spiral direction of a disc??

anyway the point is that it's a very old and infamous rumour which seems to come up on every new console, and every time (so far) it has been proven wrong =) Even the gamecube has its tracks written the normal direction.. though it has other protection measures which so far seem quite effective..

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
ector said:
hm, how would you (with your bare eyes) see the spiral direction of a disc??

Simple.

Shine light at the correct angle, and you can see a slight variance in 'shinyness' at the edge of the data.

Take a standard DVD/CD and a backward DVD/CD, and look at both simultaneously. On the standard DVD/CD, the inner, written parts will be a little bit duller, whereas in the backward DVD/CD the outer portion will be duller.

...and actually, on the Saturn, there IS some data trickery: The very highest portion of every Saturn CD has a ring of copy protection that isn't listed in the allocation table. :) The Saturn alone can read it, so a Saturn ISO or copy will never have it. :flowers:

Imoto

Game Boy Goddess ;P
Nothing is Impossible in Emulation, the only question is: when?

in 1997, every one said: N64 Emulation is Impossible.
And than came UltraHLE.

Dreamcast-Discs are read with a Dreamcast, but there are some groups or people, who are trying and such. And I know, a GD is a CD with 3 Parts, the inner 'Regular' Part, mostly contains an Audio-Track and Copyright-Info in standard.. wat was it? yellow book?
a 2nd Part as sepperator
and the final 3rd Part, the Game-Data.
It's the same as CD, but recorded by the half speed of turns.

XBOX: was mentioned.

PS/PS2, no commend, just burn it.

GCN: About a year ago, there where videos about burned Cube-Games, I have them somewhere on my HD at home. (I'm in the Office now)
the GCN-Disc is basically a standart 80mm DVD. (My Panasonic DVD-Player, not Q, detects a DVD w/o Video), but with a nonstandard header or filetable, index. whatever this is called.

But for now, I'm happy with my cube.

About 1-User Licences, what's with Animal Crossing? I boot it up, and after loading, I play with the same Disk on an other Cube, is this Illegal?

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Imoto said:
GCN: About a year ago, there where videos about burned Cube-Games, I have them somewhere on my HD at home. (I'm in the Office now)
the GCN-Disc is basically a standart 80mm DVD. (My Panasonic DVD-Player, not Q, detects a DVD w/o Video), but with a nonstandard header or filetable, index. whatever this is called.

Well, Panasonic helped design the 'cube media, so I'd imagine they'd have some kind of provisions for it.

About 1-User Licences, what's with Animal Crossing? I boot it up, and after loading, I play with the same Disk on an other Cube, is this Illegal?

If you take the disc out, the game will complain that there's no disc in the drive. Doesn't work.

ector

Emulator Developer
those videos of a gamecube booting from minidvd were fake.. as the group who did them admitted themselves by spreading a video where they booted a game from a cookie in the gamecube's drive :D (yes an eatable cookie)

Imoto

Game Boy Goddess ;P
Tagrineth said:

If you take the disc out, the game will complain that there's no disc in the drive. Doesn't work.

Not Animal Crossing. When the Title of the Game first appears, you can open the diskcover and withdraw the disc. The Game won't ask for it anymore. The hole game is stored in the GCN's ram.

If you don't believe, try it out.

Also works with Freeloader on PAL-Cubes.

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
As for the point of emulating the PPC... the reason it can't be accomplished on the PC at a good speed is registers. x86 chips, even the Opteron, simply don't have enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.