What's new

Starting emulation...

synch

GB is not that hard, just requires a bit of time to have the cpu core more or less perfect, the rest (LCD and interrupt emulation) is VERY simple. But that's from my point of view.

OP
B

bronxbomber92

Would the switch statement technique due for it? or would dynamic or static recompilation be better for the GB?

(Just wondering for future reference)

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Switch works just fine, at more than fullspeed. Also note, SMS has a bit more tricky mem paging, and a more advanced tiling system.

OP
B

bronxbomber92

oh :/.... Idk what todo after the chip8 :p, lol

I wanna try something easy once more just to get the hang on emulation, and the understanding of how hardware works... maybe atari 800 (or 2600)?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
The Gameboy has many things the Chip8 did not - IO, Interrupts, timing, etc. It is very advanced for someone who just completed Chip8 to begin.
Unless someone walks that newbie through the process ;)

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Yes, but you have to start somewhere. If you completed chip8 without too much extra help, gameboy is your next step, no questions asked.

Doomulation

Maybe and maybe not. That is subjective and can be discussed. There are easier systems to emulate before Gameboy.

OP
B

bronxbomber92

Doomulation said:
Maybe and maybe not. That is subjective and can be discussed. There are easier systems to emulate before Gameboy.
Which are...?
I mean, the only help I had with chip8 was actualy understanding how the opcodes work (as can be seen in the chip8 thread) and with opcode 0x0D... Pretty much everything else I was able todo by myself. Though its not finished yet :p. I still have to load the rom and create input for the controls....

Doomulation

Then I suggest you actually complete your emulator and hunt down the bugs to make the games running before moving on.
There have been some post-chip8 threads which you could look at because I don't remember what system are easier to emulate than Gameboy.

Doomulation

Of course not. But I'm implying that perhaps it is a little premature to ask about the next system to emulate when you haven't even finished Chip8.

OP
B

bronxbomber92

I know what you mean :)
I'm just trying to prepared, because when I try to decide on a project, it takes me like forever to decide, and read about it... So I don't wanna be taking forever just to start a project after this :p

OP
B

bronxbomber92

Ok, I think my emulator is done (hopefully) ^_^
I can't compile it yet because everything is messed up right now on my comp, so I don't really know yet. So granted there are 0 errors (but most likely there bounds to be some) Its done.

I may add a menu to it also :)