What's new

Starting emulation...

bronxbomber92

Hey, I've been wanting to get into emulation for awhile now. I'm porting over a 8080a hardware emulator to the PSP, but its not vry hard since not much has to be changed really (I don't actually need to know how emulation works is what I'm saying). So my question is which plateform console/comp/ect.. is the best to start out for emulation, and where is a good place to learn the concepts of emulation?
Thanks for any and all help! ~Bronx

|\/|-a-\/

Uli Hecht
good luck! there are some very good docs in the chip8 thread...
i never finished my chip8 emu, i quitted, when i thought, i understood everything. Then i tried a nes emu. When some demos worked i got confused and bored about some nes hardware things and started with gameboy. i think gameboy is the best system to continue with emu programming ^^

OP
B

bronxbomber92

Yep, I have read most of that thread, and I'm reading the docs! Also oddly enough, I plan on trying a gb emu after this :p

BTW, did I mention I'm writing this for the PSP? :p
shhhhhh ;)

Last edited:
OP
B

bronxbomber92

Ok, well I started my chip8 emu and its going well. Just I'm writing it for the PSP, but I would like to port it to windows using SDL. Just my question is, is there a windows sdk(or anything like that?)?

|\/|-a-\/

Uli Hecht
i see no problem, sdl runs well under windows... alternatively you can use the win api. if you want to port it to other systems i recommend gtkmm or wxWidgets...

Garstyciuks

It usually comes with the compiler. If it does not, then it should be on microsofts website, called "Platform SDK" (If I'm not mistakeing)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
The API is documented online and is available in the Windows SDK. However, generally you won't need it as the necessary libraries & headers comes with the dev studios.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Dev studio means development studio. And a development studio is a UI complete with compiler & linker, among other things. So yes, visual studio among them.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Kinna. It's very challenging if you are fresh out of chip8, and lack a ton of programming experience. However, in the entire scheme of things, gameboy is quite simple. You can only really realize it (and get an appreciation for it) after working on much larger scale projects.

OP
B

bronxbomber92

Hmmm... Maybe I'll try SMS, then move onto the GB. Also, I'm learning 3D, so we'll see where I go :p Thanks for the suggestions.