What's new

"Basically, take a GameCube, double the clock rate...and you're done"

Toasty

Sony battery
I thought Nintendo announced this info months ago - they're focusing on innovative gameplay and compatibility with all the old games, not raw power. I'll buy it just so I don't have to tote a NES, SNES, N64 and GC around when I want all the Nintendo games handy. Then again, that's coming from a Microsoft-hating, borderline Nintendo fanboy. ;)

EDIT: Hmm, reading over the thread again, maybe I misunderstood the original complaint.

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
WhiteX said:
Moves that add up to M$, i mean, with Big N putting up a poor show and the huge price tag we´re expecting from Sony, M$ can take this gen out.
Don't underestimate it. Figures (estimated) showed that both the revolution and the 360 would be popular amongst developers (source from lik-sang), and lastly ps3.
These numbers are not true, of course, but it shows that you shouldn't count out revoution just yet.
The revolution can produce games that the 360 and ps3 cannot, and they can produce games that the revolution cannot handle.

Doomulation

Also, do not forget! With HD comes more expeses! It will probably makes games more expensive than before, which is a result of higher dev costs, wheras nintendo will probably have no such costs. It might be a little trivky with the new controller, but otherwise it is pretty much the old gc hardware which developers are familiar with.

Jaz

Ex-Mod
blizz said:
anywho I remain undecided until I see the thing.

Same here.

WhiteX said:
M$ can take this gen out.

It's certainly an interesting prospect. Weather or not people hate Microsoft, the fact is that they have next gen here and now, probably a year or more before anyone else.

We'll see I guess.

ShadowDamien

Shadow's Secret Clone
rcgamer said:
same here. this actually makes me want one more, knowing ill be able to afford it.And if the promise of gameplay over graphics is true then im sold. I mean really how many more shiny fps games can you play before you get bored of them.

Nintendo has used the tried-and-true method of systems!!!

GAMEPLAY OVER GRAPHICS!!!

WhiteX

It works for me on my DS, now for consoles, the tried and true is "Horsepower sells".

Snes, PS1, and PS2 have been marked by this.

Doomulation

Why do you always go the other way than the others? Horsepower does not sell; the playstation was better than the snes and that is all. Nintendo screwed up with the n64 and people began to "forget" nintendo, which is why the gamecube failed as well, I would say.
Microsoft has lots of money to spend on advertising so of course they won't be forgotten!

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
Bah PS and Xbox haven't come up with anything new. The games are almost the same, just better graphics. The controllers are the same sucky shit that they always have used, very uncomfortable. They got high prices bacause of the hardware. Why buy a Xbox or a Playstation when the games exists on PC too?

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
i agree

and at least nintendo makes some games that
ain't all based on fighting, killing, stealing
and just plan filthy garbage

WhiteX

Hey, Doom, it is not me going the other way, one can say whatever one wants with a very big letter, however, it does not make it true...

The ps1 owned Snes because of 3d gaming (more power) and owned N64 because of strong 3rd party support, not extreme innovations, what is the great innovation that PS2 got over the PS1, and what is the one of PS3 over PS2, well, none, only added horsepower.
Now, the PS family is the most successful franchise on console gaming history, right?
So, horsepower sells.

The X360 only adds horsepower over the original Xbox, right, and they are just jumping out of the shelves, so horsepower sells.

It is not that i don´t like Nintendo, Revo or new things, i only stated that the tried and true at console selling is the adding of power.

I want to see and play Revo as much as the next man, but it will be hard for third parties to make multiplatformers that use in a fun fashion the novelties proposed by Revo and the lack of raw power can make some franchises not appear on Revo, this with the Nintendo policy of avoiding "M" rated games can make Revo fall back.

I trust that there will be Metroids, Marios and Zeldas using the "wand" in every way possible, but i am sure we will see no GTAs, Prince of Persia games will not use the "wand" features and the Need for Speed games will be toned down on graphs to be run on Revo.

Now is the price alone motivation to buy a console not capable of doing what the others can?
Are Nintendo franchises able to carry one more console on their backs?

And Hey, Arnalion, can you play Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry and God of War on PC?

Last edited:

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
WhiteX said:
Hey, Doom, it is not me going the other way, one can say whatever one wants with a very big letter, however, it does not make it true...

The ps1 owned Snes because of 3d gaming (more power) and owned N64 because of strong 3rd party support, not extreme innovations, what is the great innovation that PS2 got over the PS1, and what is the one of PS3 over PS2, well, none, only added horsepower.
Now, the PS family is the most successful franchise on console gaming history, right?
So, horsepower sells.

The X360 only adds horsepower over the original Xbox, right, and they are just jumping out of the shelves, so horsepower sells.

It is not that i don´t like Nintendo, Revo or new things, i only stated that the tried and true at console selling is the adding of power.

I want to see and play Revo as much as the next man, but it will be hard for third parties to make multiplatformers that use in a fun fashion the novelties proposed by Revo and the lack of raw power can make some franchises not appear on Revo, this with the Nintendo policy of avoiding "M" rated games can make Revo fall back.

I trust that there will be Metroids, Marios and Zeldas using the "wand" in every way possible, but i am sure we will see no GTAs, Prince of Persia games will not use the "wand" features and the Need for Speed games will be toned down on graphs to be run on Revo.

Now is the price alone motivation to buy a console not capable of doing what the others can?

And Hey, Arnalion, can you play Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry and God of War on PC?

I must agree with you (damnit :p), yea horsepower sells and that's because many people in the world have a disease called "American better is bigger".
I can find both Halo and GTA on PC and those are two of the main titles. The NFS series exists on PC too so i don't see any point playing it on a console. There were "thousands" of games released to PS1 and 70% of them were games like tetris and snake. What i meant with the controller thingy was that Nintendo has a new controller everytime they create a new console, i didn't mean that the "wand" would own the PS or the Xbox ones. The games wouldn't need "PS3 hardware" if they were coded well, but well coded games doesn't exists anymore so... I think Nintendo anyway has shown what they can do with lack of storage (1,5GB).

Last edited:

Doomulation

WhiteX said:
Well, whatever...

WhiteX said:
So, horsepower sells.
NO! Ps1 concquered snes because it could do 3D, and nintendo was late out nintendo 64 and screwed up with the console. Later everyone "forgot" nintendo.
If horsepower sells, then why does the DS outsell the PSP? The psp is more powerful. Nintendo screwed up and lost a lot of 3rd part developers and that is why they fell back. I mean, would you produce to a console that had 75% market share instead of 25%?

WhiteX said:
Again, no. The point of xbox 360 is that they are powerful, yes. But they want HD graphics and movie-like graphics in realtime. Microsoft can advertise much more than anyone else and therefore they got their small marketshare.

WhiteX said:

We shall see. There's really no telling right now...

WhiteX said:
AKA, no HD graphics. I bet revo will be just as powerful in graphics if you compare using HD on xbox 360 and non-hd on revolution. HD requires A LOT of horsepower.

WhiteX said:
Hey, how do you feel about the parent? Would you a buy a console for $500 or $250 to your child? I think the later, because the former is too expensive. Not only does nintendo have the new wand, but they have backwards compability with lots of old games as well.
One does not need to play "1337" GTA to have fun.

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
Doomulation said:
AKA, no HD graphics. I bet revo will be just as powerful in graphics if you compare using HD on xbox 360 and non-hd on revolution. HD requires A LOT of horsepower.

Haven't thought about it that way, but it makes sense. It's much higher resolution.

rcgamer

the old guy
whitex if your horsepower sells theory were true then sega would have cleaned up with the dreamcast. it came out well before the ps2 and was graphically and speedwise superior to anything out at the time (ps1 and nintendo 64). also the saturn should have kicked the ps1's tail as hardware speaking, it was superior.

WhiteX

Ok, let´s say that i am wrong, the truth then remains to be seen...

Oh, and we need GTAs to get it going, not only blue skies make our days.