What's new

"Basically, take a GameCube, double the clock rate...and you're done"

CKemu

I think nintendo are on to something with the revo, cheap ($99-150) fun gameplay, the only pinch is you get lower graphics power compared to the PS3 and x360, imo thats going to be a hit in Japan and Europe, the only thing they are going to have to look out on is the American dumbass market (No offense intended :p ), the land of OMG xbox, halo baby halo, and where game packaging has to be made neon coloured to sell stuff.

Well seriously if they truly can pull of original and fun gameplay, and not cheap ass gimmic *cough* touch screen *cough*, it's going to be abit of fresh air in the games industry, the next gen looks way more interesting than the xbox / PS2 / GC gen thus-far.

Last edited:

rcgamer

the old guy
Toasty said:
As long as they don't double the initial price, I'm still interested.

same here. this actually makes me want one more, knowing ill be able to afford it.And if the promise of gameplay over graphics is true then im sold. I mean really how many more shiny fps games can you play before you get bored of them.

SegaBOI

SEGA Enthusiast
It's so very uneducated to say.. "Take a gamecube, double the clockrate and your done."

The revoloution will be so much more than just prettier graphics, Nintendo has stated time and time again that with this console they are looking to leave the bloody console war that sony and microsoft are participateing in by releaseing a console that they cannot even begin to compete with, nintendo is sailing on their own here it is the forgeing of a new path in innovation.

Nintendo understands the basic consumer, not everyone has an HDTV! Both sonys PS3 and microsofts Xbox360 absoloutely require one for you to enjoy the thing that makes them next gen, "graphics". By releaseing the revoloution a few steps ahead of the gamecube (definately noticeable, but not as wowing as a ps3 on hdtv 1080p) they have managed to keep up with Microsoft and Sony's graphical power when compared to the set up that Revoloution will require (as it will not support HDTV this is your standard television on composite, 4:3). Nintendo has said time and time again that they believe very firmly that we have hit a wall with immage quality, they believe that we live in an age where graphics are very hard to advance by a great degree.

In stepping away from the gameplay mechanics of yore, Nintendo once again plans to make a brand new standard in the gameing industry, perhaps this controller is just the begining.. perhaps this is the key to unlocking the door of gameing Nirvana, only time and software will tell. - The nintendo Revolution, thinking outside the box(gamecube). :p

But hey, Ive always liked nintendo/Sega when it comes to hardware/software (minus saturn.. ew.) this is just my opinion (yes ive owned a ps2/xbox) take from it what you will.

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
I'm definately not interested in graphics. What I'd love to see is the entire Nintendo, Snes and n64 brought to this system. not necessarily as full priced games, but maybe as something like $5 a game or something "downloadable" onto the HDD (for nes & snes), or ordering a custom CD (n64 and such) from Nintendo and them burning in to a compatable DVD. But price is definately a great selling point, espically if they want to start at 1/2 if not 1/3 cost of the compition.

The_Z

"The_A"
I see the Revolution as the true next gen.
Xbox 360 and PS3 have better graphics and support for really good TVs. Hardly next gen. I mean, you get fun games, that are neat, but it's still using a controller (for the 360 and PS3, virtually nothing besides the shape has changed.)

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
Meh, in this day and age you can get almost any worth-while game for any big console... thats why the Revolution will be a good buy no matter what because it will have games that are incompatable with any other system.

As for PS3 vs XB360, well... in the end it wont matter because you'll be able to get many of the best games for both systems. I think by the end of this bout of console wars, there wont be any console specific games left (aside from the Revolution games) because the game developer companies will be forced to hooker themselves to both console companies in order for them to continue their rate of growth (as stock holders expect them to).

Nin_10_Dough

Last I heard the developers were still using souped up gamecube dev kits. I don't know how much stock I'd put into that article, but it is interesting.

zurki

well to speak truthfully i'm already scared of the realnes of games like silent hill 4 or resident evil 4 but imagine for example silent hill for the ps3... i mean it has already been confirmed... but... dunno maybe i'm weird but afterall i wanna play a "game"....

Toasty

Sony battery
Modem said:
I'm definately not interested in graphics. What I'd love to see is the entire Nintendo, Snes and n64 brought to this system. not necessarily as full priced games, but maybe as something like $5 a game or something "downloadable" onto the HDD (for nes & snes), or ordering a custom CD (n64 and such) from Nintendo and them burning in to a compatable DVD. But price is definately a great selling point, espically if they want to start at 1/2 if not 1/3 cost of the compition.
I've heard that a lot of first party games will be free for download - and possibly quite a few third party ones too, even as recent as the 64. I'll have to dig up the link to that article...

SegaBOI

SEGA Enthusiast
The games are going to be downloaded from nintendos new (and at the time of the revoloution) Xboxlive-esque service known as "Nintendo Wi-FI" the only difference ofcouse being the price point (nintendo is ofcourse offering Nintendo Wi-FI to anyone free of charge). The games however will all have fees to download, it is here that nintendo manages to make money with their internet play service, im sure well see alot more things (similar to marketplace) as time allows this service to grow.

revl8er

That Damn Good
Basically anybody who buys a console on graphics alone isn't a true gamer. The revolution will have the older games plus new ones so you know it's gonna have fun games to play. And if the price is good, then more people might buy it.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Well, the price WILL probably be pretty low, concidering they're not putting 3+ GHZ x 3 processors in it.

Jaz

Ex-Mod
The_Z said:
I see the Revolution as the true next gen.
Xbox 360 and PS3 have better graphics and support for really good TVs. Hardly next gen. I mean, you get fun games, that are neat, but it's still using a controller (for the 360 and PS3, virtually nothing besides the shape has changed.)

So just because it has a TV remote control instead of a control pad, that makes it true next gen?

It's an original idea, have no doubts, but surely it isn't the standalone thing that makes it next gen, whilst the other two aren't because they don't have a similar system.

zurki

the xbox360 und ps3 are not "that" next gen because they are way to similar to their predecessors and not because they are unsimilar to the revolution wich is actually making a big twist into gaming and not into reality... and i think this is the way the next generation of gaming should approach.. because everybody can imagine how realistic everything can look...

revl8er

That Damn Good
There are talks about making a docking station type thing for the remote to go into that is like an original remote.

jonat3

The revolution has ports for the gamecube controllers. i heard those will only be used for playing GC games though.

There's a shell that will turn the controller into a normal traditional remote. Even so, it will still retain it's motion senseing capabilities.

WhiteX

The "true next gen" is X360 and ps3, because it is a continuation of a sales pitch tried and proved, horsepower sells games, Nintendo is going the other way so it will be the "other gen" of sorts, trying another selling strategy, memorabilia, easy controls and affordable price (Sony said that PS3 will be aimed at enthusiasts), of course it will run multiplatform games, however, at lower resolutions.
If it is the right step to be taken will remain to be seen, a revolution indeed it is, not for tech specs per se but for the selling strategy it implies, i believe it will give nintendo an edge and will help to increase the gaming community in numbers, but it is just an old man´s belief...