What's new

"Basically, take a GameCube, double the clock rate...and you're done"

WhiteX

You don´t like adult themed games, fine, just don´t say that the entire community needs them not.

more news:

Well most of you by now have heard, or read, Mr. Satoru Iwata's GDC keynote address and the news that a Sega back catalogue of Megadrive games will be made available to Revolution owners. Sega has now officially confirmed the news offering some additional details.

Sega announced that they will be providing SEGA titles as part of the Virtual Console system for Nintendo's new generation console Nintendo Revolution.

SEGA's support of the Virtual Console system will introduce more gamers to classic MEGA DRIVE hits and reinvigorate many of our popular brands, said Naoya Tsurumi, Chief Executive Officer, SEGA of America, Inc. and SEGA Europe, Ltd.

Nintendo's Virtual Console will allow Revolution owners to download and play classic NES, SNES and MEGA DRIVE games through the Revolution network. With a game library of more than 1,000 titles for the MEGA DRIVE, SEGA is planning to provide a best of selection for gamers, enabling them to relive their favourite titles

Last edited:

jonat3

The one that stated that it was horsepowers that sells....You are in error. The reason PS won over the N64 was not because of power. The N64 was more powerful than the PS, yet it lost. That's because the N64 was using cartridges, which not only limited game creation, but also was very expensive to produce. The competition at the time (PS) was cheap to develop for, the medium was also cheap and also game creators weren't limited by the medium as was the case with the N64. One could say that the cartridges was the source of the N64's loss against PS, but it would be more accurate to say that it was the result left by the cartridges that made the N64 lose. This result is the fact that most 3rd party jumped to Sony's console.

THIS is what makes or breaks a console. 3rd party support! This is so important, that one can say that having most of the 3rd party developers on your side (most of them exlusively) is equavalent to winning the console war. If the 3rd party had stayed with the N64, despite all the difficulties, who would have won? It would have been the N64, cause there wouldn't be any games (or too small selection) to play on the PS.

Nintendo realized this and nearly all of their strategies with GC were based on getting the 3rd party back to their console. This failed because of mainly two reasons, their previous image leftover from the N64 era and the fact that they weren't different enough. If 2 consoles were nearly identical, yet one had a stronger brand name, which would the 3rd party developers eventually (be forced to) choose? Of course, the PS2. The PS2 was the WEAKEST console, yet it crushed both GC AND the xbox. That's because the PS2 had the MOST amount of 3rd party developers. When a console has the most amount of 3rd part developers, as a result they will also get the MOST amount of games. Casual gamers will go for the console with the greatest quantity of games, no matter how mediocre most of them are.

Enter the Revolution. It has already been demonstrated numerous times that it isn't horsepower that sells. This is proven in the handheld sector as well as in the console sector. The ability to get the 3rd prty developers on your side is what will lead to victory.
Nintendo has applied the same strategies to the Revolution as it did the GC, but perfected them. Cheap to develop for with a devkit even cheaper than a psp devkit, makes use of a well established medium, easy to program for and this time their image among developers has been completely turned around. The last point is especially the most important. Being able to hype up the 3rd party developers to this extent is like doing half the work necesary for winning the war. Numerous sites have already mentioned that the Revolution is pretty hyped under 3rd party developers, but if you are not convinced, visiting this link might change your mind: http://www.n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=497

Not having HD is not even important compared to having 3rd party support. Even a graphically inferior console will crush a more powerful console with support backing it. In fact, not having HD might be another incentive to gain 3rd party developers (well, atleast later on and not at the outset). Not having HD included makes it cheaper to develop games. Normally, i would have said that a graphically superior game would sell better than a graphically inferior game, but that only applies when the games are similar. 3rd party cross platform titles will perhaps sell better on the Rev, just because the games will have motion sensitivity. It's similar to how Soul Calibur sold more on the GC than the other versions, just because it had Link included. Motion sensitivity may have enough pull to accomplish a similar feat, even if the other titles have HD. I think this benchmark, the performance of cross platform titles on each console, is what will decide if all of the 3rd party developers will definately jump ship.
Obviously, to make fully use of the Revolution controller, it's best to create unique titles from the ground up. It seems 3rd party developers realize this and an uncharacteristic amount of unique titles are already underway (according to Matt from IGN). So even in the event that HD proves to be a bigger pull for cross platform titles than motion sensitivity, this alone may be able to compensate for that.

There are many other things in favour of the Revolution, but my post would get to be too big if i wrote them all down. Point of the matter is, the Revolution has the most balanced scheme ever in attracting 3rd party developers (as evidenced with the link i supplied). The problems that Nintendo had with the GC are mostly addressed with the Revolution. And this time around, it's Sony that's making life difficult for 3rd party developers. You do the math.

I don't think Sony will be crushed, but i think it's safe to say that this time around, Nintendo will be breathing at their necks.

Last edited:

WhiteX

The ps1 owned Snes because of 3d gaming (more power) and owned N64 because of strong 3rd party support, not extreme innovations, what is the great innovation that PS2 got over the PS1, and what is the one of PS3 over PS2, well, none, only added horsepower.
Now, the PS family is the most successful franchise on console gaming history, right?
So, horsepower sells.

read the whole post dude.

Once again, it is not that i am against new things, but it will be more difficult to implement Revo specific features into multiplatform games.

My paradigm is said to be wrong by you guys, but every game released seems to push hardware over and over towards its edge, ok , I am wrong, but the truth about next gen remains to be seen.

The source for your information is highly biased,come on, N-Sider!
The third party support also remais to be seen, both N64 and GC were said to have a large support base and they failed at it.

jonat3

WhiteX said:
read the whole post dude.

Once again, it is not that i am against new things, but it will be more difficult to implement Revo specific features into multiplatform games.

My paradigm is said to be wrong by you guys, but every game released seems to push hardware over and over towards its edge, ok , I am wrong, but the truth about next gen remains to be seen.

The source for your information is highly biased,come on, N-Sider!
The third party support also remais to be seen, both N64 and GC were said to have a large support base and they failed at it.

Ok, i already said that power can sell, as long as the games are similar. So i do agree that power can be a factor. I'm only not certain that power will make that much of a difference here.

And according to Iwata people misunderstand the controller, because it will still be possible for multi platform games to be designed for the Revolution. According to him, it's similar to how developers used PS2 as base (since it was the weakest console) for cross platform titles, so he doesn't see any problems. I don't see an problems either, cause each and every crossplatform game is capable of using the shell. Even with the shell, the controller will still retain the motion sensing capabilities.

And about the source, it shouldn't really matter if it's biased or not, cause if you went through the link i provided, you will see that it contains 3rd party quotes. It's hard to give a biased spin on a quote. Biased or not, there's no denying that 3rd party developers have actually uttered these statements. Most of those quotes have been highly positive. Atleast we are certain that Revolution will get a better start than the GC.

Clements

The_Z said:
Yep. The N64 was a great console.

However, wasn't the Playstation more powerful than the N64?

Nope. The N64 had it beat in almost all areas in terms of hardware specifications.

WhiteX

it is said the the "nunchuck" add on will be gret for FPS´s, but...

Epic Games' Mark Rein said they do not have plans for a Revolution version of the Unreal Engine 3, because it won't be easy to do HD res on Revolution.

From the magic box.

jonat3

Mark Rein is abit biased, so i'm not surprised he said that. Check his quotes in the link i've provided. From all the 3rd party developers, his comments were the most extreme. The majority of the quotes are positive though, so don't mind Mark Rein.

WhiteX

Why not minding him, most of the quotes can be good, but any unreal engine powered game won´t be on revo.

jonat3

WhiteX said:
Why not minding him, most of the quotes can be good, but any unreal engine powered game won´t be on revo.

Mark Rein also updated his quotes. He says that the Unreal 2 engine should be more than enough for Revo. It's still possible to do Unreal 3 engines (and there will probably be a few games with unreal 3 engines), it's just that he suspects it will be difficult to do, so they'll opt to use the unreal 2 engine.

I'm not sure how correct his opinion is on this matter, since i've read some opinions from another middleware producers as well, and according to him, Mark Rein is exaggerating (check joystiq, useful info there).

Here's a link with some insights about the subject: http://www.joystiq.com/2006/03/28/heard-gdc-no-unreal-engine-3-on-revolution/

All in all, the Unreal 3 engine is definately possible on Revolution. How it will be, compared to the competition is another question.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
WhiteX said:
it is said the the "nunchuck" add on will be gret for FPS´s, but...

From the magic box.
Everything does not require HD resolution, they are just being picky and stupid.

WhiteX

Now that i pissed you off, i´ll give some nice news that can give the Big N some edge...

It appears that a European Sony exec has spilled the beans on pricing revealing that Sony's next-generation offering will sell at between 499 and 599 Euros. A quick currency conversion at today's rates would suggest that when PS3 launches in November it should retail at USD 613 to USD 736 although consoles are usually more expensive in Europe than they are in the U.S.

Speaking at France's Europe 1 radio, Sony Computer Entertainment France president and vice president of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, George Fornay, admitted that the price may seem high but added that the benefit of Blu-Ray playback justifies the premium. Mr. Fornay also confirmed Sony's plans for a global November 2006 launch for the Playstation 3.

Under the weight of this new evidence the notion that PS3 would have carried a similar price tag to XBox 360 comes crashing down and now the USD 499 price tag seems more likely although even that may be too low for Sony's new machine. If Sony does decide to sell the console for USD 499, that's USD 100 cheaper than in Europe, it will be by far the most expensive next-generation games machine available.

Compared to X360's USD 299 and 399 price tags, the new Sony machine will have to carry all the extras for that kind of money although the price range given suggests that the USD 499, or whatever low end price they choose, model will not come with the full assortment of bells and whistles.

It suddenly appears that Nintendo's policy to release a console for under USD 300 and to make sure games are also cheaper than the current excessive next-gen prices, is not all that foolish and may give the company an edge over its rivals.

Miretank

Lurking
Expected, but following the thread's name, it's just fair. It won't have more hardware than X360 and PS3, then it must cheaper.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
This seems kind of stupid if you ask me. What use is there in marking a console out by numbers? Not too mention entirelly different arcitectures, you cannot compare x86 to PPC. I'm going to wait for it before I make any judgements. And to be honest, I'm pretty damn excited, simply because this is the big N we're talking about here :p